Dj's United

Just what i wanted to hear!

Tell him I remember drinking my first Shandy too, but I didn't behave like he is afterwards

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

But I am a fat bas***** and can normally persuade people off the stage.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

IF it gets really bad you could always use your mic to your advantage. remember your alot louder than they ever will be as for some assistance fromt he venue/client/guests if its that extreme http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

If it aint got that Swing, it Dont mean a thing!!

I always find a quick volley to the testicles works http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

QUOTE (C.S @ Jun 3 2004, 01:04 PM)
I always find a quick volley to the testicles works http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The Woman in Norway must be really scarey! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Iteresting point about little (or big) fingers going where they shouldn't.

Had a recent incident, during a slow set, blue lighting and static white moon flowers, some wombat unknown to me, removed some of the spot bulbs from a bank of lights.

I now had exposed light sockets that a small child could have reached! This could have been real nasty.

I now have made a chicken wire wire frame to cover them.

Cheezy

QUOTE (Cheezy @ Jun 3 2004, 01:22 PM)
Iteresting point about little (or big) fingers going where they shouldn't.

Had a recent incident, during a slow set, blue lighting and static white moon flowers, some wombat unknown to me, removed some of the spot bulbs from a bank of lights.

I now had exposed light sockets that a small child could have reached! This could have been real nasty.

I now have made a chicken wire wire frame to cover them.

Cheezy

You've definately acted on good intentions by adding chickenwire infront of the bulbs.

However, I have two concerns, both relating to the fact that Chicken wire is conductive of (1)heat and more worryingly (2) Electricity.

Now, obviously I dont know the layout and dimensions of your light banks, so you might have already have considered the following scenario and DIYed around any potential problems.

Scenario: Packed dancefloor. Someones shoed foot accidently(?) kicks your lighting, breaking a bulb, exposing the filament and the 230volts running through the filament. The same kick also buckled the chickenwire inwards toward the live filament. Potentially, and admittedly only with the worse luck going, the chickenwire is now also live @ 230volts.

As I say, Im only guessing at the shape/design of your lighting, so you might not have this potential situation.

Its a difficult problem. Covering the front of the lights in perspex will probably melt the perspex; using glass instead of perspex will result in warm glass, and a soaring temperature inside the lighting

around; puting a single wooden dowl (like a broom handle) would prevent the bulbs being removed but would block in some of their light output...

I hung my bare bulb lighting up on my overhead bar...nicely out the way there...but not ideal for everyones set~up.

QUOTE (Digital discos @ Jun 4 2004, 10:46 AM)
SO chirs are you suggesting I resort to violence? is this the most sensible thing?

Exactly where did I say that?.

Look, i just gave you some advice, namely that you have an adult around whilst you are working. I'm not 100% positive, but it may even be a legal requirement, it certainly is if you are working in an Environment where alcohol is being served.

Over the many years that i've been in business, like many others, i've been in some tricky situations which I couldn't have handled had I been a 13 year old working on my own.

I was D.J'ing at your age too, however I was always accompanied by an Adult, and situations DID occur where I was glad that I was accompanied. So the advice I gave was based on a factual situation, a situation which could easily occur again to another youngster.

You don't have to act on my advice and whether you are mature enough to accept, or even consider any friendly advice given is entirely upto you. But please don't criticise other peoples efforts to help you.

I accept your advice totally, I was just asking if in any cases should violence be used, it sounded like you said an adult would be there to protect, but "if" which I'm not strong enough should I result to violence to protect my kit. But what advantage does having an adult there bring?

Most situations can be diffused by talking your way out of them. However, I would doubt that you have yet gained the experience and confidence to be able to do that, since it's something which you get better at doing, as you get older.

In 16 years, I have only had to punch somebody once, and I regretted that, even though it was self defence. However I have been in several heated situations with drunks and troublemakers which could easily have escalated given the wrong attitude.

The 20 year old you mentioned, probably saw you as an easy target. Like you say, he was much taller and bigger than you. I doubt that he would have caused trouble had you have had your Father or another Adult with you for example. Chances are this guy was just looking to pick on you, because of your age.

It's not about hitting people, we are there to entertain not to beat people up. However if somebody throws a punch at you or damages your gear, an adult is physically more able to defend themselves or restrain the troublemaker, than somebody of your age. IF you ever see (proper) Door Staff working, its all about talking your way around things to diffuse a situation, and then restraint. Violence is always the last resort.

what sort of situations couldn't you handle?

When I was a teenager MOST unexpected situations http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

When I was 16, I was working a pub which was visited by two rival football fans. A riot erupted and the placed was literally ripped apart. I was glad that I had the back up of an Adult with me because I was S:cense:tting myself, it also helped to have somebody to load the car quickly and get out of there!.

My father accompanied me until I passed my driving test, and then I always had a Roadie helping me for the majority of gigs. Safety in numbers etc http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

There were other times when my father had to intervene with troublemakers at the end of a gig, or those who thought, just because I was a kid, they could sod off without paying. I was also glad of somebody older to negotiate problems with landlords and contracts etc.

If somebody (Older) threatened you on the Street you'd seek help from an adult, right?. Well the same applies at Gigs, and you will encounter idiots and those who have had to much to drink from time to time, so it makes sense to have help on hand.

If you go back and read my post carefully, you'll see no mention of me telling you to hit anybody. All I advised you to do, is to have an adult with you whilst you are working at a function attended by other adults.

Resorting to violence - I dont think any situation should involve the dj resorting to it..... yes.. your kit might be in danger of getting smashed up.... but surely its better than you getting smashed up... we can always replace kit - and hopefully most of us would have something written into our contracts stating that should the client and/or his/her guests be responsible for willfull damage etc....... Walk away... call the police if its a situation that cant be diffused by talking. Who wants to get sued because they thumped a guest at a function? That would do your reputation a power of good eh!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Every DJ should carry with them, 3 effective weapons, together with the knowledge of how to make their usage count.

The 3 weapons which Im refering to are:

* Microphone

* Mouth

* Brain

For Example: Its 10 minutes to go, you're on the Final slowies. Mr H. O'laggen comes up to you asking what the F happened to his request of Prodigy: Smack ma bitch up, and threatens to de-cone your speakers, and remove your teeth in one blow of his fist.

(mic on) "Sir, Im sure that you're very capable of carrying out your threats of hitting me and breaking some of the disco equipment, but surely you dont want Tracy and Steve and their families and friends to have to replace their happy memories of today, with memories of violence, police sirens etc...perhaps Steve or his best man (make beckoning gestures) can discuss that with you further, as the other 119 of us have still got a few minutes left to carry on enjoying ourselves in..."

Takes about 10 seconds to say, although admittedly its not that easy to come up with one of the title-role stars from "Gorillas in the mist" is inches away from you...

Talking 'em down, involving the majority, and getting the "room" on your side is always good. Most bullies dont want dozens of witnesses.

Edited by Gary

Interesting.

Don't ever forget that Mr H. O'laggen may also not give a http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif what he does and where he does it, regardless of witnesses! On the most very rare of occasions - you can get the outright thug be invited.

Another alternative - get the client to approve the 'request' in front of the wally. You don't have a problem playing it.

"But Is it ok to play this track as it's nearly time to finish your function?"

The client is then 'happy', the wally is 'happy', and you are doing your job - working for the client!!!!

Normally, the wally walks away feeling they've achieved something - but in fact, you've had the last say - by the book, so to speak.

So it won't matter if it's played - or declined. Let the client deal with their guests...99% of the time, from experience, they deal with it, and don't want to be liable for any contract terms you've set / they signed.

Kazz - 100% agree.

...and if the hooligan is arguing over a request... just say "sorry I dont actually have that track".... afterall, you can t play what you dont have now can you!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I have found the way to deal with one or two 16 year old mouthy kids who carry knifes in the back pockets at my local youth club- and this is in a nice area!- thankfully I have generally had nice easy people at most of my functions which is good. There were some adults who I knew fairly well in the room who I'm sure would have been able to intervene if things got really bad.

Well I have found the way to deal with one or two 16 year old mouthy kids who carry knifes in the back pockets at my local youth club

Digital, if your still having problems with older kids who are carrying knives, I really think that you should talk to your parents or another trusted adult ASAP and not try and tackle it yourself.

To add to the debate regarding security issues at functions, you may find that some Hotels have their own security staff who would be able to offer assistance in the Event of threats being made to you. Even some pubs have a dedicated member of staff who is able to evict those causing a nuisance.

At family functions, you could also try having a quiet word with the client, pointing out that you are not willing to continue to work amidst threats from their guests. Unless it was an actual emergency, I would try the softly, softly approach before requesting help over the mic, or trying to humiliate the person making the threats (which could ultimately backfire - having witnesses is not much immediate comfort if the Ape decides to break your legs, there are people out there mad and daft enough to go to prison purely because you wouldn't play their track!, not many, but enough to be cautious!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif ).

Quote:- ''Never try and argue with a Halfwit, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

Here's one from a customer service course I attended.

"Never tackle a boiler with a full head of steam, wait till the steams run out a bit"

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

I had an insodent on my very first gig. It was a 25th birthday party (who was also a mobile dj).

It came to the near end of the night and I was playing the slow songs, when the sister of the birthday girl/woman came up to me and said "the music you played was all old stuff, I don't like old stuff AND I no my sister would not of liked it".

I said excuse me but isn't that your sister over there dancing. And she was about 5metres away dancing with her husband .

You should of seen her face. It was a picture http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DM