Dj's United

a question for you's

i have a christening in a couple of weeks and then if i do well there i will be doing my sisters wedding some time next year so can your please give me tips on music to buy and what kinda games i could play at the christening. what lights are best to use at a kiddies do. thank you Jonathan

Your Night, Your music, YOUR PARTY

If this is your first gig..I wouldn't worry about lighting too much. It's far more important to worry about how you are going to entertain a lot of people of different ages.

You've obviously touched on this thought yourself with your other questions.

what kinda games i could play at the christening

Depends on the age of the Kids, are they per-school age, Primary School age or Teenagers?, or worse still a combination of them all!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif (Every D.J's Nightmare).

Karen (Kazzachi), is a very experienced Children's D.J who is on holiday at the moment, however I believe that she will be back soon, hopefully before your gig, so I'm sure that she'll give you some good advice on this, as will any other members who do childrens disco's. In the meantime, karen posted some very useful ideas On the Childrens Party Thread

please give me tips on music to buy

Well, if you are doing family functions with all ages, then you'll need a wide selection of music. Most D.J's carry around a varied selection of the following:-

50's / Rock 'n' Roll

60's

70's / Disco

80's

90's / old school

Charts and Ex-charts

You'll also need some popular Motown and Soul tracks.

I wouldn't worry about Dance tracks and having every top 40 single in the charts, since Weddings don't really have much call for this genre. However make sure that you have the more cheesy stuff from the top 10. And a good selection of slow stuff for use as Background music (for the buffet) and end of the night tracks.

You should see your music collection as an ongoing project - rather then something which you can just solve by buying a couple of compilations, it's a little bit more involved than that.

Here are some threads which give you an idea of the more popular tracks from each era

80's Music

70's Tracks

General where to buy music thread

More 80's!

More 70's

Weddings and Kids

Virtual Playlist - What track comes next

You may also find This Thread to be of use, when planning how to schedule the Evening.

At this stage, you should be concentrating on the D.j'ing side of the business rather then how good your lighting looks!. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif