9 replies to this topic

#1 FrankieJ

FrankieJ

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:41 PM

Hello Everyone

Im in need of some help pleeeeease. Im looking to change my website http://www.subsonicdiscos.co.uk, and I am using Microsoft Front page the XP version. The problem I am getting is that when I add an index column to the left of the page and then try to add other writing or pics in the middle everything gets thrown of line. This is the reason I have had to add an scroll bar between my index and my main page which I dont like. Can anyone clear this headace up for me please.

Many Thanks smile.gif
DJ Frankie Knuckles.

#2 SyC

SyC

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 03:12 PM

It is very difficult to understand what you are trying to achieve.

You currently have a frameset, e.g one page is the menu, one page is the content.

I assume you are trying to add a new item to the menu page...

Therefore you need to be amending indexnav.htm

If thats not what you are trying to do then that is going to be no help whatsoever! sad.gif
.:Simon:.
.:VibeZ Music & Discos (Mobile Disco & Karaoke):.

#3 Hugmaster

Hugmaster

Listen to me carefully, but don't watch me too close!

• Community Leader
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 03:14 PM

Hi

No idea what your problem is m8, simply because I go to your site and just get a home page, no links, no nothing.

Are you creating the left hand index as a frame or a shared boarder?

Darren
Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

#4 FrankieJ

FrankieJ

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:05 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replys, I thought my thread would sound confussing. Ok what I am trying to achiceve is when my site is open I dont want to have a scroll bar running down between the links and main page (Which I have at present) I would like to fit everything onto one page. I will Make a small example below

OK SO I AM BUILDING MY HOMEPAGE FIRST(below) I HAVE MY TRUSTY LINKS DOWN ONE SIDE OF MY HOMPAGE, BUT WHEN I TRY TO ADD ADDITIONAL TEXT OR PICTURES IN THE CENTRE OF THE HOME PAGE MY LINKS GET ALL THROWN OF LINE. SO WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT I CANT INSERT OTHER TEXT OR PICS ON THE SAME LEVEL AS THE LINKS???????

________ Dummy Homepage_______________________________________--

MY DISCO NAME HERE

Home
Gallery HOW CAN I INSERT TEXT HERE WITHOUT IT MOVING MY LINKS
Feedback
Contact

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

#5 FrankieJ

FrankieJ

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

Hi Me again

have a look at this site this is the sort of set up im trying to achieve

http://www.boomerangdisco.com

notice that he has all his links down the left side and text in the centre but this does not knock his link bar all over the shop like mine wallbash.gif

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

#6 Mikeh

Mikeh

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 05:32 PM

Hey

Actually this is pretty simple, boot up frontpage and insert a table with 2 collumns and 1 row, set the border to 0 and cellpadding to something like 4. Now in the right collumn put all your content in and the left collumn can hold your links. If your feeling adventerous you can insert a second row and do a 'cell' merge to make the 2 collumns in the top row appear to be just one cell, this can then hold your logo. This is the same method as used on my site (except cell merge)

Kind Regards
Mike
[IMG]MDM Roadshows - Professional Mobile Disco Service For The South East

Email: info@mdmroadshows.com
MSN: vapournetmike@hotmail.com

#7 SyC

SyC

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:54 PM

If that does not make any sense then think of your web page as a Word document because essentially Frontpage and Word are very similar.

All you need to remember is that in Frontpage the only way you are going to ensure things are in the right place are to put them in the right place in the table.

It could get more tachnical but lets see if that helps rolleyes.gif

#8 Hugmaster

Hugmaster

Listen to me carefully, but don't watch me too close!

• Community Leader
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:06 AM

Hi

The problem with doing it as a 2 cell table is the links down the left hand side will slide up the screen as the viewer scrolls down the page.

the idea of having the site as a frameset is to keep the "table of contents" static.

If you webhost has frontpage capability, i.e. they have the correct extentions enabled, you can create what is called a shared bordeer. this works in very much the same way as a frame would, however it works much better and is much easier to manage.

the the fp help files regarding shared borders, can be found in designing webs, giving your site a consistant look...or something like that.

Any more trouble come back.

last word, I'd ditch the frames idea unless you have a very good reason for keeping them.

Darren
Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

#9 FrankieJ

FrankieJ

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the help everyone much appreciated 042.gif
DJ Frankie Knuckles.

#10 SyC

SyC

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:28 PM

I tried to put together an example but I don't know how much help it will be!
http://www.btinterne...sonic/index.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users