Dj's United

Anybody 'in the know' want to pass comment on the features of the two units below?. It appears that both will run on the most minimum of Laptop Spec, even on one with no USB, and the 60 channel version costs under £100.

60 and 120 channel DMX converters supplied with software for use in conjunction with a PC or laptop. This easily programable unit simply plugs into the parallel port of an IBM compatible PC to provide full control over DMX lighting systems. Ideally suited to theatres, discos and night time venues

60 DMX control channels

Easy to operate graphic display

5 operating levels with 12 channel faders for each DMX parameter

Flash Function for each channel

1 master fader

60 programable scenes can be stored per block

Deactivation of all DMX OUTPUTS (blackout function)

Channel invert function

English software supplied

Min. Sys. Req.: IBM PC - 486 CPU, 8MB RAM, 4MB HDD free space, CD-ROM, parallel printer port, mouse, Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP

And the 120 Channel Version:-

120 DMX control channels

10 operating levels with 12 channel faders for each DMX parameter

1 flash switch per fader

500 programmable scenes can be stored per block

Automatic run of 4 parallel sequences with up to 500 scenes each

10 groups can be stored with up to 20 channels each

Min. Sys. Req.: IBM PC Pentium 90MHz, 16MB RAM, 10MB HDD free space, CD-ROM., parallel printer port, mouse, Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP

Bit short on info there unfortunatly Chris, It is impossible to pass a fair comment without knowing what you will be able to do with the software and how easy it is to use.

There is plenty of hardware available on the market, it is the software that makes all the difference. Do you have a link or more information?

I found a company selling a PC DMX controller on the internet the other day, downloaded the software demo. All it was was 12 sliders on the screen that allowed you real time control of 12 channels at a time. No save scenes or chases or any other features.

That system cost over £300.

Dicky

I have a parallel port DMX interface (512ch), they are good for a small number of fixtures, but they can lag... USB is better.

But like DJ Dicky said, its not the dongle as much, but the software! I hav also fond high priced dongles with very very bad software. If your after a cheep way, USB or Parallel Port Dongle that works with Freestyler....

Ajay

Has anyone else on this forum used Showcad DOS????

• 3 weeks later...

The First eval unit is about to go out to Karen

Andy are you still interested in testing it after Karen?

The manual should be up for download in the download area of my web site soon, I will post a link if Chris says it is ok.

Richard