Dj's United

OK I stand corrected on the factory situation, its very confusing, but when you ring the old NJD number, they answer Premier Solutions!! And when I placed the order (speaking to NJD guy Ian on Premier's number) the part came with an invoice from Altai Wirral but despatch note from a Nottingham address!! The icing on the cake was when our customer refused to believe that the Predator HX mains transformer could have gone faulty when the fan was still running...I had to return the part with the luminaire.

BTW we all miss NJD's PLASA lightshows which were the highlight of any engineers visit. (along with Abstract because they used to serve free drinks..)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello NJD and welcome to the forum. It's great to see manufacturers reading and taking an active part in their end customers opinions and interests http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbup.gif .

One comment that I neglected to put in the original review, was the strobe routine which is included in the NJD Datamoon's automatic stand alone programs. I know, from comments on this forum, and from being a DJ myself that this can cause some annoyance, especially amongst older audiences, or where there are guests suffering from photosensitive epilepsy, this was also later confirmed when one of our moderators took the matter to discussion on a forum which discussed epilepsy, and the general opinion there was that it was these tye of effects which actively kept even mild sufferers away from attending family functions.

Since some Dj's are reluctant to take the DMX approach just to rid themselves from one program routine, would it it possible for NJD to disable the strobe routine by way of DIP switch settings, or perhaps over a software / firmware version which didn't include this. The Datamoon's strobe routine is certainly very effective, however it can be very obtrusive in small rooms, or at the aforementioned gigs.

BTW we all miss NJD's PLASA lightshows which were the highlight of any engineers visit

Ditto http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/beer.gif

QUOTE (WOODYO @ Dec 7 2004, 09:16 PM)
Best Moon Flower effect in its class , Very Bright and reliable. I use 4 of these and that's all the lighting I really need to carry as I feel these are that good.

Me Too!

I did get a DMX controller to avoid the strobe efect though, but it's a shame becaused the biult in sound to light is very effective.

Darren,

Comments on the strobe effect have been noted.

It's only a strobe in VERY early ones, it was changed to a flash-to-sound in about 1996, so it is unlikely to flash more than 4 times a second (=240bpm), so shouldn't disturb the epileptics.

I got my info on photosensitive epilepsy from this website:

http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/pages/info/l...flets/photo.cfm

I also read somewhere that the synchronizing of light to sound can provoke a seizure, but I haven't seen that mentioned again.

By the way, whoever thought it was "Altai Wirral" is on the wrong side of the Mersey! Head office is Electrovision, and it is in St. Helens.

Is there anything I should be reading on any of our other products? Your website won't let me search for "NJD" because it says it is too short a word.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome NJD.

As Chris has already said. it's great to see a manufacturer on the forum and reading what the working DJ has to say.

Hope you stay around.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

NJD, the photosensetivity of people extends beyond those with epilepsy but also includes people with ailments such as migraine.

Additionally "Red Ken" in the 70s GLC organised for some world-leading research, which I THINK has never been bettered showing that there is no safe limit for strobing, however incidents were significantly reduced by setting strobing to less than 7fps. This is a "normal distribution" point for those with an understanding of statistics. I can't remember if it was a classic normal distro with 2% tails or one of the modified varieties.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr NJD,

How can the new Datamoon be lighter, the hanging bracket bends like a banana?

Another gripe with the new datamoon is that the bracket won't fold flat, and one more thing, would it be possibe to buy four gobo wheels all the same shade? I seem to have lots of different shedes of blue and red.

Still a great workhorse, I am very happy with them.

Thanks

Darren

Darren,

would it be possibe to buy four gobo wheels all the same shade? I seem to have lots of different shedes of blue and red.

We've been building the Datamoon for 12 years now. In that time it's been manufactured in 3 different factories, and our original dichroic filter supplier has gone out of business.

You can buy replacement filters at 96p+VAT each. Postage and packing on spare parts orders is £3.50+VAT.

If you want to send your gobo plates back, we won't charge for fitting the new filters.

I'll weigh a British Datamoon, an Indian one, and a Chinese one tomorrow, and settle the argument for good. The bracket bends because it isn't as thick as it used to be - I think someone bought the wrong gauge of steel.

Couldn't find a British-made Datamoon, but the weights are as follows:

British-made: 8.0kg

Indian-made: 9.1kg

Chinese-made: 7.9kg

Here's a result for you: today I re-drew the bracket, so that it is now 10mm longer, and will go round the ends, and I specified 2mm steel so it won't bend. The bad news is that we won't see them until March.

They will be 8.0kg with the new handle.

How much can you get them for today? I want one.

One what?

QUOTE (stevemitchell @ Dec 21 2005, 09:40 AM)
Mr NJD

I think that the cheapest I could find the Datamoon for at the moment was £109.00 from DJKit, or two for £229.00 and its currently in stock.

The NJD Datamoon

Hi NJD , I think its great to have a manufacturer on this forum , others should follow suit. I have been using NJD products for years now and have always been pleased with them. I have a datamoon at present which is not lighting the lamp correctly it comes on and then constantly blinks on and off any idea whats wrong. I returned a unit to yourselves before for repair and it cost me £70 I would be safer buying a new datamoon if this problem is not easily rectified.

Woody

Shouldn't this be in another section?

I have a datamoon at present which is not lighting the lamp correctly it comes on and then constantly blinks on and off any idea whats wrong.

Anyway. Does the red LED go on and off as well? Does the Datamoon go through its set-up procedure when the lamp turns on again?

If it DOESN'T then suspect the relay, or a bad contact in the circuit between the relay and the lampholder, or in the lampholder itself.

If it DOES then suspect the 5V regulator or the microprocessor (perhaps it need re-seating in its socket)

By the way, two things I don't know about our products are: who's got some for sale and how much they want for them.

Yeah, truly it is excellent to have a manufacturer on the forum! It changes my mind about NJD somewhat.

However, I have to ask the obvious question, and I know it is one that some others on the forum are not asking aloud, but are thinking...

Shouldn't product testing have shown up this bracket defect? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/533.gif

Second question, which I have been asked on several occasions and don't know the answer to. Does NJD own the word "datamoon"? Some companies seem to be selling a non-NJD product called "datamoon". What's up with that? Is it the same product?

Thanks!

QUOTE (NJD @ Dec 21 2005, 05:48 PM)

One what?

Errrrrrrrr a new BMW!!

QUOTE (stevemitchell @ Dec 21 2005, 09:40 AM)
Mr NJD

I think that the cheapest I could find the Datamoon for at the moment was £109.00 from DJKit, or two for £229.00 and its currently in stock.

Thanks Chris.

Question is do i buy a twin head or 2 singles?

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

2 singles - more versitile

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Twin Head????? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/scared.gif

Maybe i'm wrong but they don't do a twin head Datamoon, what they are offering is two individual Datamoons for £229. I agree the wording is somewhat misleading.

They also offer 4x Datamoons for £449! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/newyear.gif

QUOTE (NJD @ Dec 20 2005, 10:45 PM)
would it be possibe to buy four gobo wheels all the same shade? I seem to have lots of different shedes of blue and red.

We've been building the Datamoon for 12 years now. In that time it's been manufactured in 3 different factories, and our original dichroic filter supplier has gone out of business.

You can buy replacement filters at 96p+VAT each. Postage and packing on spare parts orders is £3.50+VAT.

If you want to send your gobo plates back, we won't charge for fitting the new filters.

I'll weigh a British Datamoon, an Indian one, and a Chinese one tomorrow, and settle the argument for good. The bracket bends because it isn't as thick as it used to be - I think someone bought the wrong gauge of steel.

My datamoons were bought in pairs, and I have different shades on two of a pair.

Quote -"If you want to send your gobo plates back, we won't charge for fitting the new filters."

I would love to send my gobo wheels back but I can't afford to be without them for long, what would the turnaround be? I would much rather buy 4 new wheels with the same shade.

Quote - "Here's a result for you: today I re-drew the bracket, so that it is now 10mm longer, and will go round the ends, and I specified 2mm steel so it won't bend. The bad news is that we won't see them until March."

That means the new moons will hang 10mm lower than the old ones!!!

the problem is that the holes on the moons have moved towards the front!

Thank you NJD for great response, I am pleased with my Datamoons and would definately look to NJD first if I was buying more Effects. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/notworthy.gif

Darren,

QUOTE (Chris_Pointon @ Dec 23 2005, 08:35 AM)
Twin Head?????  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/scared.gif

Maybe i'm wrong but they don't do a twin head Datamoon, what they are offering is two individual Datamoons for £229. I agree the wording is somewhat misleading.

They also offer 4x Datamoons for £449!  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/newyear.gif

May be its me being thick . Didn`t read it correctly. Im going to get 2.

QUOTE (Chris_Pointon @ Dec 21 2005, 07:05 PM)

If 1 is £109 , how can 2 be £229? Is it the more you buy the more expensive they get?

Just had another look at Chris`s link. They are £119 each , there for buy 2 and save £9.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

• 8 months later...

This is a very old thread now but still very helpful so thanks Chris.

I am looking at buying 2 or 4 DMX Moonflowers and my shortlist is Datamoons, Spins or T4s.

Datamoons are top of the list for the simple reason they are so much cheaper than the others (although my heart really fancies Spins for the inbuilt programming)

Is there anything else available today that compares? I can buy a pair of Datamoons, in flight case and with controller for £240, and individual lights from about £100, so they are a bargain!

QUOTE (spinner @ Sep 11 2006, 02:24 PM)
Chauvet have a similar unit in their Q-Mix series ( probably made by Acme ). Under £200 for a pair.

the light output from the q-mix is good...

but they look damn ugly !!!!!!!!!!

Member of The Musicians Union

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like hard work."

Single NJD Datamoon for £99. Can't vouch for the supplier though...anyone?

£99 Datamoons

NJD Datamoon Kit (2 lights, fibre case, remote control, cables) for £249. Again, know nothing about the supplier.

£249 Datamoon Kit

Anyone better those offers? Anyone use any of the NJD DMX controllers? Anyone use another DMX controller with the Datamoons?

[insert quirky comment]

QUOTE (tonyj @ Sep 12 2006, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (spinner @ Sep 11 2006, 02:24 PM)
Chauvet have a similar unit in their Q-Mix series ( probably made by Acme ). Under £200 for a pair.

the light output from the q-mix is good...

but they look damn ugly !!!!!!!!!!

I guess it's a matter of opinion but, from the limited amount I've seen of them, they look more modern than the Datamoon.