SteadFast

2. What is your Real Name?

John

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

Party Atmosphere

4. How long have you been DJ'ing?

I started when I was 14

5. What inspired you to become a DJ?

I don't think I was inspired to become a DJ, it was more or less a logical progression... I loved the music, had a great record collection & loved being able to play songs that people wanted to hear.

6. What type of "Do" was your first gig?

My first gig was for one of my mates girlfriends, it was 1978 & John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John were number one with "You're The One That I Wan't"

7. How much did you charge

Nothing, I did it for the experience

8. What equipment did you have to begin with?

An old Cloud system & a home-made plywood box to hold all my singles. My lights were two of the £40 four lamp chasers (they were £40 or £50 back then)

9. Whats the worst/most embarassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Fell into the huge fish tank at above mentioned party (I tripped over my record box that I stored under the tanks stand & went head & arms first into said tank...)

10. What is your favourite type of function now? EG: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc?

I really love doing the 70s or 80s nights but I like doing weddings too, the weddings I see as more of a challenge as they can be a harder nut to crack

11. Is there anything that you include in your show now, that you wish you'd done/known when you started? (Not equipment, but in human/performer terms)

Competitions: Anything that's silly when everyone's had a skinfull of alcohol always goes down a treat.

12. What do you feel you offer your public, that makes you a better DJ than "the next guy/girl"?

The ability to "read" the crowd & anticipate what kind of mood they're in & if necessary, continually changing the flow of the music to suit the crowd so they don't get bored easily. Anyone can play cd's... manipulating a crowd & putting them in a party mood is something only a "natural born" DJ can do. It's not in the mixing or in the size of you're music collection, being a good DJ is simply knowing what to play & playing it before the moment has passed.

13. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadnt? and why?

I bought a rubber 6 foot snake once that cost £35 to scare the girls with... I threw it at a group of girls who were dancing around their handbags, they squealed & threw it into the seats behind them & I never saw the snake again... A good idea but a waste of £35 considering I only got to use it the once

14. Whats your next DJ purchase likely to be?

A single or a pair of bass bins to "beef up" my sound system is on the cards

15. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Holographic lighting that can fill the biggest dancefloor incorporated in a unit the size of a laptop. Alternatively, flat panel speakers that are 1000w rms & the size of a laptop. Both would make our job so much easier (especially lugging them up three flights of stairs...)

16. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

Definitely seeing people enjoying themselves... I love playing the songs that no-one has heard for years (like "Rocky Sharpe & The Replays" Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong, "Darts" Daddy Cool or "Matchbox" Buzz Buzz A Diddle-It). Seeing the reaction on peoples faces & watching them trail whoever's nearest them onto the dancefloor is the best bit for me. There's a lot of "classics" out there that will always fill a dancefloor & the best songs are the ones that light peoples faces up

17. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Knowing that you've played pop, chart, dance, country, r&b, hip-hop, heavy metal, rap & Pavarotti & the feckers still won't dance... Sometimes, people just want to listen to the music

18. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

Getting hit by an HGV

19. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Hopefully everything will get smaller & lighter (the equipment, not our fee)

20. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Could you call me a taxi, so I said "ok, you're a taxi"

21. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Never been offered advice, even when I was starting out

22. And worst advice you were ever given?

Never been offered advice, even when I was starting out

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill you dance floor!

1 Beach Boy Gold (Medley) - Gidea Park

Working My Way Back To you -The Detroit Spinners

Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet

24. Your Age

25. Your Location

Belfast NI

26. Martial status

Attached

27. Education level

1 CSE Thingy Mabobbers

28. Mode of transportation

Teleporter (Ideally) Car (Realistically)

29. What equipment do you currently use?

LD Powered Speakers (280w) Kam 500 Pro Mixer Laptop Backup CD Player Datamoons Pair Facinations Pair Four Smaller Effects

30. How much have you "invested" in equipment?

£3000+

31. What was your reason for becoming a DJ?

My love of music & creating really good "parties" (rather than a disco)

32. Approximately how many gigs have you done to date?

Haven't been counting, but a lot...

33. Add Any additional Comments which you would like to include here

I still prefer to think of a gig as a party & not a disco. We are entertainers, that's what makes us good DJ's, anyone can play cd's, but not anyone can entertain a room full of people with a bunch of cd's

Interesting answers there Steadfast. Out of interest, what type of competitions do you do? Are they of the sensible variety or are they aimed at drunken geezers?

Edited by BigBen

[insert quirky comment]

Nice interview young man,respect to you http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/cool.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

Correct answers !!

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif Nice one

Beach Boy Gold (Medley) - Gidea Park

I like that one, but it's never worked for me yet http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif Good one,

I have never found the Beach Boys Medley works for me either, quite oftenly play it during the buffet. But as I found in different areas music tastes are different.

Well Done Mate! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/notworthy.gif

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

Maybe it is something about NI but the Gidea Park mix works for me as well - sometimes...........

Nice interview & maybe we'll meet up sometime (perhaps we already have!!)

PaulS

The type of competitions I would do are a Limbo Comp for the girls (they love to show off how supple they are & are generally more competitive than the lads), another one for the girls is the 10p & a pint glass comp. Put an empty pint glass in the middle of the floor & place said volunteer at the side of the floor, they then have to hold the 10p between their ass cheeks & drop the 10p in the glass by relaxing their ass cheeks when they think they're on target.

Anything you can think of usually does for the boys & the winner of the boys compo gets to sniff the 10p the girls were using http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/yucky.gif never fails to get good reaction & always gets the room buzzing.

I find it's always a good idea (after everyone's had a skinfull) to pit the boys against the girls... They hate each other with a vengence at the start of the night & usually end up snogging (previous word 'softened' for younger eyes) for Britian by the end of it.

Maybe Steve Paul & myself (with lady luck's help) can get the winning lottery ticket & open a decent events venue with our winnings...

N.I. needs something to put the Wow back into Factor... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thanks.gif

All Equipment Insured By The Mafia!

You Hitta Da Gear... They Hitta You!