Dj's United

The popular PCDJ software's 'latest addition' is a Virtual Rack Mount (VRM) version of PCDJ (RED). A 'standalone program' in it's own right (version reviewed v7.2 build 1014)

The last major (VRM) release of this type of product was the PCDJFX package, offering Kill switches for Bass Mid & Treb, Sample editor, Loop Stutter Fx, Echo / Flange effects, etc....even karaoke 'plugins' could be added, hence the Virtual Rack Mount.

In short, evertime a 'new' VRM patch is available to add or download (or purchase) you can go to the website and 'update'.

The current 'build' or patch for PCDJPROVRM is v7.2 (build 1014)

Well, the PCDJ ProVRM is may act as a stop gap between PCDJ Pro and PCDJ FX (as well as being compatable like the others with an add on controller - currently, the dac-2 and any other dac release (dac3?))

Even the software package was in a PCDJPRO case but with a VRM sticker on the front!!

Guess that'll save money in distribution!!!

Too be honest, on first looks, I thought "what exactly have they done"??!!

I looked forward to the 'FX' version, having seen and purchased from PLASA 2003.

For those that can remember, the software dominated the stand - displayed on a large PLASMA screen.

Well, lucky it was large...

When I got home and installed the 'FX' program, my laptop screen was filled from border to border with small buttons and features that prompted me to get out the bi-focals!!!!

OK, jokes aside, maybe a case of cramming in too much??? Probably, me thinks.

More isn't always better I feel, and that's also probably another reason why the PRO/RED version of the software wins hands down for simplicity of layout. Still, back to the VRM version.

Not having as many features as the 'FX' version, the essential 'look' and layout is a good cross between the 'two' (PRO or RED) and FX.

The main 'essential 'feature' (I think) is the Master Tempo, where the pitch of the vocals is maintained as sounding 'normal' when tempo is adjusted which is not featured in the PRO version.

Quite honestly, I can't fault any software program that has included this feature for mixing music.

The PCDJFX was likewise - extremely good at this 'effect'.

More.... the PCDJproVRM 'Kill switches' work ok. The 'auto crossfader' works ok and like the 'fx' software, the reverse track is instant and very good (play track backwards).

The extra features 'missing' to that of 'FX' are the audio effects like echo, flange, etc.

Unlike PCDJPRO, the VRM version allows the user to not only play mp3s but .WMA files too. About time too!

The dac-2 controller interface is very responsive - a feature really enjoyed with the PCDJFX software but I feel not as 'harmonious' as working with the PCDJPRO software. I have tested all three mentioned software today (back to back) and still the most stable compatble and responsive product, without a doubt is PCDJPRO.

The screen layout, in my honest opinion, is as bad as the PCDJFX version!

Whereas the PCDJ RED / PRO software has a clear user interface, clear track details, etc., everything has again been 'shrunk down' to accomodate features (such as the 'FX' program did). I can't understand why everything has to be so small to read for track details and cue points!!!!!

Why didn't the designers use 'windows' or base the layout colours on a well known rival OS to windows!!!

Talking of cue-points (definable points in the mp3 track to set and cue-up to for play from that point) are not only smaller but 'read differently' to that of PCDJPRO.

For example, a cue point set in PCDJPRO which is set on the Bass beat of a track can be instant when accesed via the dac-2 controller.

Add the same track to the PCDJProVRM and the cue-point is not as instant on play.

Therefore, all your pre-cued tracks in PCDJPRO will have to be re-done.

When you ripp a track or add info details to an mp3 track, the details are saved with the track. So you can imagine if you have 4k-6k tracks with cue points edited already, you don't really want to have to re-edit AGAIN! Alter all the previous set track cue-points in the 'new software'....really!

The strange thing is, PCDJPROVRM can 'see' or 'display' the track cue-points but will not play them from the original point set. Heartbreaking.

The actual track listing / artist window is very clear and can be font edited (font size, assign colours, etc) which is slightly better than the PCDJFX and, I suppose better than PCDJPRO. (which had a pre determined font)

A feature to allow import of previous 'virtual record case' files from the other versions of PCDJ is quite unbelievable.

Instead of being straight forward, the process is not as simple as creating a folder from the mp3 files which PCDJ users are familier with.

One should be able to browse the directory of the previous programs 'Record case' and literally 'transfer' the listing info. Not so and disappointing.

Third party software may be on the cards to make the process easier but I feel that yet again, another product is released without thought....and the buyers will end up being the bug testers.

Being able to save the waitlist folder is probably a good feature over the PCDJPRO version.

Also, like 'FX', you can view / save a log of what you have played.

Different 'skins' can be downloaded to personalise the layout of the screen.

Also, like 'FX', you can record your 'mix' to an output file - another 'plus' over the PCDJPRO software.

I haven't tested this feature yet. Neither have I tested the new 'CD ripping' system, which I found in PCDJPRO to be quite simple, fast and effective.

I am informed that once the config of the record settings are achieved, the quality is OK.

I will take every opportunity to test, test again and resolve some of the points I've made as the software needs to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Until then, I'll continue to use the PCDJPRO software (without the Master Tempo feature!) because at least I know from use it won't crash or hang-up during a performance, unlike the original 'build' PCDJFX did!

Support wise, there are websites dedicated to all versions of the software but I've yet to venture onto as I've had no issues with PCDJPRO.

ahh thank god someone has been thinking about this too. I was a bit scared of upgrading from the original PCDJ red with the fears of the newer version going down the same route of PCDJFX and being a bit dodgy.

Did you manage to get hold of a boxed version? or have you downlaoded it??

Im very interested in upgrading but clearly dont want to spend my money on something thats just going to fault in the field.

If it aint got that Swing, it Dont mean a thing!!

Some more info....

Be careful when you install the program if you have existing PCDJ programs - or you can lose the previous registrations!!!!

I had to re-register my version of FX today!!!!!

Always make a note of your registration numbers and keep in a safe place.

Anyway,the version I have is the boxed version.

I can see no harm in 'upgrading' as the programs are stand-alone.

Better to judge for yourself than take my word for it.

I'd also like to add that the current retail version of the software is, IMHO, overpriced by £59.00!!!

• 2 months later...

Being able to save the waitlist folder is probably a good feature over the PCDJPRO version.

Also, like 'FX', you can view / save a log of what you have played.

Different 'skins' can be downloaded to personalise the layout of the screen.

Also, like 'FX', you can record your 'mix' to an output file - another 'plus' over the PCDJPRO software.

Just to clarify on the above points further.

PCDJ RED / PRO can save the wailist, you can save or load any waitlist you choose, this has been a feature of the software for a long, long time.

PCDJ RED / PRO also allows you to save a log file, which is easily veiwable within the recordcase window as a group, or you can view it in Excel or any other db based program.

PCDJ RED/ PRO although not having in-built recording can be done by simply using a second PC or by opening a recording program on the same PC, such as acid or any program capable of recording Wav output. (after all it's only audio).

One last point which could be deemed semi-political, RED VRM was not released so much as a stop gap, but more so to bolster the dying sales of FX due to the many bugs and flaws it posseses. Visiosonic simply removed most of the buggy items in order to release a semi-stable FX version known as RED VRM.

I personally think the use of the term "RED" could also be used to mislead people into thinking it a new update to PCDJ RED, and not a downgraded FX!

I'm very well versed in PCDJ RED / PRO (same product different label), so if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Regards,

Phil Hulton

HeadlineDJ

Hey Dicky...

No problems...

Glad I can help out in anyway.

Took me long enough to get in here,, for some reason my registrations kept getting lost or not let through... so I only tried once in every blue moon.

This time it worked. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/pepsi.gif

Regards,

Phil Hulton

HeadlineDJ

Hence my post , exactly.

PCDJ RED / PRO does pretty much everything VRM does, except that is play WMA files.

In fact RED / PRO is better by a long shot, as it comes from a much more stable, stable. LOL

That is the history behind RED is a far better pedigree than that behind FX or VRM.

I have always stated from Day one... long before it's public release that FX was based on a very http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/pooh.gif engine.

Regards,

Phil Hulton

HeadlineDJ