Big Ben

2. What is your Real Name?

Richard Derek Bernard Benson-King (!!)

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

1st Class Disco

4. How long have you been DJ'ing?

As my own show, 2 years.

5. What inspired you to become a DJ?

You know that feeling, when you're on the dance floor and the DJ plays a song that you adore? You close your eyes, throw back your head, stretch your arms up to heaven and start singing as loud as you can, but no-one can hear you because they're doing exactly the same - that's what inspired me.

6. What type of "Do" was your first gig?

I started college in '85. We ran a small Leisure company for fun and profit. Once a month we'd hire out a real trendy joint in Derby City Centre (The Blue Note on Sadler Gate), sell tickets to students and fill the place. My mate Neil, who was a mobile DJ, organised it. The first time we did this we had a massive response. It was going to be a huge night. My job on the night was to control the lighting, take requests, organise drinks, etc. Because I was so excited I got to the club about 5pm so that I could prepare properly. I also took my record collection along with me for Neil to use during the alternative set - he was into dance mostly. The night started well, packed venue, dance floor bouncing. By 11 the walls were sweating. Neil was visibly knackered having worked very hard for the first couple of hours. Naturally, the floor was slowing.

"Time for the alternative :cense:" he said. "I'm going outside for a breather" and with that, he left. I was alone in the DJ console. "Neil, you f:cense:ker" I thought. I remember looking down at the record playing and I remember thinking about walking off. I don't know why I didn't but I'm pretty sure it was because I had a lot of friends there wanting to hear some 'real' music. I pressed the button on my brown, fake leather, 12" record case, lifted the top back and reached inside. I grabbed a handful of 12" singles. "What the f:cense:k shall I play?" I thought. I even said it out loud a few times, getting quite annoyed with myself. Those of you who remember that period will remember a song that began with a haunting kind of guitar sound. You may still play it today - The Cult's "Sanctuary".

I can still see myself pulling the vinyl out of the cover and looking which side to play, as I had done so many times in my bedroom. As I laid it on the deck I looked at the floor and thought, this is going to empty the place. It took an eternity to get the needle into the groove. I cued and waited. When the moment came I hit the button and closed my eyes. As you might of expected, I got it wrong and the haunting guitar intro crashed the fading dance track, but it didn't sound too bad. I opened my eyes and saw happy faces; they were approaching the floor, MY floor.

Drinks were hurriedly being dumped on tables, people were running from the bar and from all parts of the room to dance to my choice of music. I could not believe it - there must have been a hundred people dancing to MY record!! I was beaming. I followed Sanctuary with U2, Simple Minds, The Cure and Killing Joke. Played some Stranglers, Pistols, Clash and Buzzcocks for the punks and a bit of Jam, Madness, Selector and Bad Manners for the mods. I was only on for about 40 minutes in the end but what happened that night helped carve out the rest of my life. I absolutely LOVED music.

7. How much did you charge

nothing

8. What equipment did you have to begin with?

Not a clue, although I remember the lighting was basically a metallic touch panel. Once the room heated up it wouldn't work. The boss of the place said that it must have been condensation, but I knew my pint of lemonade had gone missing... The first mobile gig I did, we used domestic CD players, a domestic amp and domestic speakers. We'd hired them for a tenner from a guy who did karaoke at a small crappy pub.

9. Whats the worst/most embarassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

As a DJ, not too much. Forgotten the odd name or reason for being there, oh and I did get the sex of the party girl wrong once - she was called Kim. However, after my first gig I had a lot of confidence and so I joined a band. As a drummer I had numerous embarassing nights... We had a regular gig at Rollerworld (used to be next door to Paradise). We'd set up in the spectators area using big green blocks to create a stage area. These blocks weren't fixed so when I was hammering away on my bass drum during the speedskate session, it would move. Eventaully, my bass drum fell forward, it took about four stands with it leaving me with hi-hats, snare and floor tom. The crashing cymbals, toms and bass drum hit the singer and one of the guitarists on the back. They collapsed as did the bass player, from laughing. Being a total professional I carried on with just the snare and hi-hats. The guys composed themselves and lifted everything back into place for me, they then joined in and we finished the song. No-one appeared to have even noticed!

10. What is your favourite type of function now? EG: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc?

40th's - they tend to have a good broad range of music likes. I can play Elvis to The Smiths!

11. Is there anything that you include in your show now, that you wish you'd done/known when you started? (Not equipment, but in human/performer terms)

Talking. Smiling. Mingling with the crowd before and during the show.

12. What do you feel you offer your public, that makes you a better DJ than "the next guy/girl"?

I try to entertain. I take a few games (hula hoops, skipping ropes, limbo bar) some props (handbags, pom-poms, wigs) and I talk and joke on the mic. I'm also tee-total and a non-smoker. Being married with three kids also means I\'m not 'interested' in anything other than entertaining. I try and prepare thoroughly for each gig, rather than just turning up and 'winging it'. Finally, I like to break the mould with my style. I like playing the usual stuff but I love to see people's faces when you play something they'd forgotten about.

13. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadnt? and why?

Yes. I'm not letting on what it is but I just thought it was an absolute steal that would help me immensely - instead it caused me nothing but grief, cost lots of money and it never got used.

14. Whats your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Heart says lighting effects. Head says flight cases. Wallet says nothing.

15. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

I thought a kettle that was heated by the combined forces of my light show would be a good idea. However, if you use WinAmp you will be aware of the Video Visualisations. If these images could be projected behind me, and on to a light screen type box in front of my show - cheaply, then I'd be very interested. Yes, I could use a projector and get a plasma screen - but GET REAL !!

16. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

I refer you to question 5. Seeing people feel how I felt all those years ago, and knowing I did it!!

17. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Unsociable hours, heavy equipment, costs, damage to transport, boring nights, bad venues, bad crowds, not getting paid on time and having to ask [again] for the money.

18. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

he wife. Poor health. Something decent on the box on Saturday night. Trouble/being hit/abused. Getting bored with it. Winning lottery. Being 'on a promise' (with the wife, of course).

19. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Lighting effects will be modernised and cheap equipment will improve making it even easier for amateurs to 'entertain' and keep their prices ridiculously low forcing some older DJ's to hang up their headphones.

20. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

"Can I have a go?"

21. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Loads and loads of advice from this forum and Chris especially. Be confident, talk on the mic, try different music styles, don't worry, enjoy yourself. Special thanks to Kazz for her help with kids parties as well.

22. And worst advice you were ever given

"Keep the amp turned down as low as you can, maxing out the volume on the mixer".

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill you dance floor!

We all know the usual suspects - DJ Casper, Abba, Mavericks, Shania, etc. The following can, 95% of the time, fill the floor if used at the right time:

The Jam - Town Called Malice

Leif Garrett - I Was Made for Dancing

Backstreet Boys - Larger than Life

24. Your Age

25. Your Location

Crewe, Cheshire

26. Martial status

Married

27. Education level

10 'O' Levels National Diploma in Business Studies Part qualified accountant Currently attending film school.

28. Mode of transportation

Kia Sedona

29. What equipment do you currently use?

All pretty basic, entry level stuff but I do carry a complete back-up: Numark 200FX mixer SoundLAB dual-cd player Audiohead amp Toshiba laptop Idex 15" 300w speakers Idex bass bins Broken Swing SoundLAB moonflowers Mad scanners UV Tube, Smoke (rarely)

30. How much have you "invested" in equipment?

Just short of £4k

31. What was your reason for becoming a DJ?

To make other people as happy as I can be when I'm listening and dancing to good music. As a secondary point, I'm working on a feature film that I want to start filming in five years time. Hopefully, the DJ'ing will provide me with some income to fund the shoot.

32. Approximately how many gigs have you done to date?

As a drummer I played 296 gigs. As a DJ I have played less than 100.

33. Add Any additional Comments which you would like to include here

I hope you can see that I am this game because of my love for music. If drumming was a viable alternative I'd probably prefer to do that but as a family man it isn't even worth considering. I try to run the show as professionally as I can without spending huge amounts. I had a chance to buy a Pioneer mixer costing about £450 but I opted for the Numark which cost half as much. The punters don't notice and I don't care about snobbery.

I have no intentions of working more than one or two nights a week; I turn down lots of jobs, well, quote high in case they want to pay silly money and I don't want to do this forever. I now have back-up equipment and an extensive music library. The next couple of years should see me spending less and working more. That money will be used to fund the feature film. Finally, I don't do a bad job when I dj, but I am so much better because of this forum. You guys are incredibly generous with your advice, help and support. I'll never be able to repay you all for the gems of information you supply; all I can say is thank-you, for taking the time to care enough about others who wish to emulate you.

Well Richard Derek Bernard Benson-King - nice interview!..... I dont know why you bothered with a forum alias though! hehehehehehehhehehehehe!!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Great interview Richard

14. Whats your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Heart says lighting effects. Head says flight cases. Wallet says nothing.

I get the Wife says no bit http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Respect to you young man,entertaining interview http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/notworthy.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

Hi

What a great interview, one of the best, if not the best I've ready.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Yeah, hmmmmmmm slightly different than the rest

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

Very interesting read!

Good Interview! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

Drinks were hurriedly being dumped on tables, people were running from the bar and from all parts of the room to dance to my choice of music. I could not believe it - there must have been a hundred people dancing to MY record!! I was beaming. I followed Sanctuary with U2, Simple Minds, The Cure and Killing Joke. Played some Stranglers, Pistols, Clash and Buzzcocks for the punks and a bit of Jam, Madness, Selector and Bad Manners for the mods. I was only on for about 40 minutes in the end but what happened that night helped carve out the rest of my life. I absolutely LOVED music.

Well done geez, your enthusiasm shines through, which is always the most important factor for being a good dj http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Although many people on here probably consider me as only a soul dj, I actually do a few gigs a year playing the types of band you mentioned here. I have loads of that sort of stuff as I was very much into the punk/new wave scene in the late 70's and then into the ska/2-tone scene that followed it.

When you have a crowd that's into it as well they really go for it, I always get the impression that they are far more appreciative of you playing all those off the wall bands probably because very few DJ's ever play (or know) that sort of stuff. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Than you all for your very nice replies.

I answered the questions quite late one night so I had actually forgotten what I had written by the time it got posted!

Whist reading my replies I was intrigued by my own comments about drumming. So I sat and thought about it for a bit and came to the decision that I would drop DJ'ing without hesitation to be a drummer in a band again.

I don't know why - I just enjoy it more.

So, thanks to this interview I'm able to re-assess my life-plan. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'll spend the next few years DJ'ing, earning cash to shoot a movie, whilst getting back up to speed with drumming. At some stage I'll join a band and hopefully pass the DJ'ing torch onto someone I've trained up, very likely my 12 year old son. Then I can begin gigging again http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

So, the dj-forum has helped me yet again http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/beer.gif

Richard Derek Bernard Benson-King (just for you Kazz!)

[insert quirky comment]

Superb interview, I think that this is the reason that we all do the job, the love of music combined with the unknown effect that the unusual record will have on the crowd. I also sometimed have a disc in and out of the deck two or three times before thinking http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored2.gif it if i don't play it i will never know. I think you instinctively know it will work but then you think why does nobody else play it ?. then when it works, you are in control. Lief Garrett yes one hit wonder but what a floor filler. Well done Big Ben - respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one mate well done for being so honest ! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

By the way is this you ?

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

People laugh at Animal, but he was a far better drummer than I ever was!!!

I did look a bit like him in the 80's tough!

[insert quirky comment]