Dj's United

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

At the risk of throwing myself in jail http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I've only just starting using my damn laptop and spent ages ripping tracks, I'm not gonna stop using it now it's proved to be such a good method of doing things.

I may however choose the events I use it at, steering clear of using the laptop at venues that might be clamping down on the use of them.

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

• 1 month later...

digging this old chestnut up again; just spotted an interesting comment on another forum regarding all this...

The iPod has been selling in huge quantities over the last year, so there's a few hundred thousand people there that the MCPS are gonna have to arrest as well http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

I had a similar conversation along the lines of Eskie's comment, with another member a few days ago regarding the conversion of one original media to a more flexible means of playback / storage.

Another area open for debate, is the number of solo artists / Duo's / Bands who buy backing media in one format and then convert it to another more flexible media for playback at their own gigs.

For instance, nearly every solo artiste I have played alongside or seen down the local pub has either used Mini Disc or CDR for playback of their backing material. This doesn't mean that they have obtained the material illegally, but often they have produced their own compilation discs from various original material in order to form their own running order.

Again, having a set list made up of say 12 tracks spread over a 30 minute set, would be a nightmare if the artise had to change CD or Mini Disc or fast forward a cassette http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif every time they were about to move on to another track. Surely it would be easier to copy their enitre set list spread over several CD's onto one compilation disc and just let it play through the tracks?.

Of course it is, and this is exactly what some of them do because it is flexible and more convenient, however this would fall under exactly the same law as the one being discussed on this thread.

Yes! Eskie and Chris are right.

Slightly different note..........

I had a chat with some fellow DJs who either use or are about to use (thanks to Santa) laptops and Hard Disk DJ Equipment.

The general feedback was as long as license paying venues were on the 'license list', working DJ entertainers, Mini Disc / DAT vocalists, Karaoke hosts etc, would all be likely targets for a 'cold inspection' from the men in black!

(According to inspection stats, approx 7,000+ venues are 'cold visited' each year)

We know that we are 'covered' to broadcast a music track under the 'blanket cover' of the venues license, but we don't individually have, for example, the 'duplication license' to transfer CD tracks to another electronic format - mp3, etc. That's where an inspector can grab the entertainer and the venue by the short and sphericals.

It would seem unlikely that a venue would want to run the risk (if they are even aware) of the implications to their license, and would probably request the entertainer to discontinue using hard-drive digital playback devices unless the source tracks were legal (paid for downloads, etc), else, the entertainer would be cancelled - full stop.

So where does that leave us as entertainers? What's the next step? Is there a compromise?

I believe that a good step forward would be to ask what do we want - literally.

Once the 'concern questions' and 'compromise' has been formulated, who do we approach?

Although it might seem logical to approach the BPI / MCPS direct, that avenue has already been 'jumped upon' from various directions and resolved in a short, sharp slap in the face.

Co-ordination???

Another avenue might be for the Musician Union members (DJs) to direct the 'concern questions / compromise' to the MU.

If enough MU members can add weight 'argument' to a long standing organisation that already works with the MCPS / PRS / BPI, we might actually get a positive result....might!

But, due to the conditions of membership, the MU can only act / represent individual members concerns, however, the same coordinated 'argument' expressed from individuals would hopefully carry 'the point'.

Oh - why did I mention a 'compromise' earlier? Well, in light of organisations such as the PRS and Co generating revenue from licenses, it would seem likely that a legal license for DJs to use laptop / software players in a venue is a likely route.

Just how much such a license would cost the individual DJ remains a big unanswered question.....but here is one 'idea'......and only an idea!

If a DJ performs once a week in public venues for 52 weeks a year, and earns a minimum of £100 per gig, he's on £5,200.

If a sum of £6.00 per gig is proposed as an 'operators license', which, incidentally, is pretty generous in comparison to existing license fees, then the yearly fee would be £312.

But what if this 'fee' was a one off £312 per year (or £104 per quarter)- as a legal 'DJ' license, regardless of how many times a week we worked?

Is the figure too high or even too low?

Could an agency / organisation / third-party regulate it's own 'bods' by working with these 'authoritys' to provide an 'operators licence' for discount?

There are positive good points in creating a 'legal right to DJ using whatever playback device he or she deems fit' license, but again, it hits our pockets.

However, another point to consider is the cost of the fine imposed on an unsuspecting DJ to that of a license fee.

There's the copyright breech fine, the music label costs, total costs, etc, etc. Thousands of pounds - per track noted. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif

Unless some positive initiative is taken and turned about by the entertainers, I'm sure that at some point in 2005, especially with the new laws coming into effect, the 'men in black' will clamp down on someone, then another, then another!!!

It will not matter to the 'authoritys' how many thousands of individuals have the means to rip and burn music, only the ones who earn a living out of it.

Plenty to think about perhaps?

As Eskie has already said, thousands and thousands of people have iPods, let alone the countless of thousands of individuals in the UK who breech the copyright of 'ripping CDs' to their PC Tower hard drives, laptops, mp3 players, X Box's, etc, but I bet it will be an entertainer or agency that is pounced upon first!

In my perfect world music would loose its right to protection after 1 week in the

public arena, case closed.....

QUOTE (chrismk @ Jan 4 2005, 11:04 PM)
In my perfect world music would loose its right to protection after 1 week in the
public arena, case closed.....

OK, I'll bite at that dangling carrot... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Music loses its protection after 1 week? To what end? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

Music loses its protection after 1 week? To what end?

Oh I can see some advantages...

To think that Mr Blobby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Timmy Mallett, The Tweets, New Kids on the Block, MC Hammer et al all have their tracks protected under copyright law for 50 - 70 years is almost too much to contemplate http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif