Dj's United

32A commando mains supply

Hi chaps,

Who knows about the 32A blue commando sockets you can find in some venues?

I regularly have to run 3 or 4 13A supplies when doing 'big' gigs. I really need a 32A lead about the length of a stage with some 13A sockets at one end and a commando 32A plug at the other. Can I find these anywhere? no! I have a couple of 32A plugs in the garage.

If I made the lead up, what cable should I be using? etc...

Any do's and don'ts will be appreciated....

Cheers,

Brian

CPis your man.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

crispy!

Edited by kazzachi

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

First of all, make sure that the outlets you plug into aren't 3 phase outlets, otherwise you could end up sending 415v through your gear if you wire the plug incorrectly. If the outlets are standard three pin 32A types then you'll be okay, but avoid them if they have more than 3 pins .

Armoured cable is usually the prefered method of connecting to these outlets, although that sort of cable isn't practical for mobile DJ's and is a bugger to work with since it has no flexibility, the same applies to standard Twin and Earth cable.

If you are below the full 32A capability of the outlet and under 20A then you could use 20A 3 core Arctic cable.

30A 3 core cable is available from Farnell - order code 3885112

• 2 weeks later...

You can never ever mix 3 phase with single phase as 3 phase has Red Plugs and Sockets, and will also have 5 pins also with 3 Phase you will only have 415V between 2 of the phases. single phase 'C Forms' are blue in colour and are rated at 240v another that I very much doubt you will come across is 110v Yellow connectors.

Going from 32A you will ideally need to use 2.5mm2 cable, and when terminating the other end make a break out box.

but if you are not experienced with Electrics, always and I mean always consult a Qualified Electrician. I did the Electrical training route in college and consequently am Qualified City & Guilds 1810 Entertainments and Theatre LX (also got Electrical Engineering Qualification) however I dont work at Electrics full time.

Unless you are competant never mess with Electrics, Power 'Juice' and people do not mix

Gareth Foster

Freelance Lighting and Sound Engineer

Thanks all for your replies.

I understand the differences between the red 5 pin connector (3 phase) and the blue 3 pin (single phase) connectors. To be fair, I have seen very few venues with the red connector, although the local macciedees have them all!!

I was kind of hoping I could find a 15m lead pre-made with a 32A commando at one end and a pile of 13A sockets at the other, but it looks like I will have to engage a sparky!