Dj's United

Well Norway started a total smoking ban in pubs ,clubs on the first of June this year and i thought i would give you all an update on how it has affected us djs.

The town i live and work in has a population of 45 thousand and has 5 clubs that use djs. When the smoking ban came in the local authorities gave all clubs\pubs an extension on their licence so we are open until 3 am.

Well the results of the smoking ban have been good health wise ! I am a reformed smoker (and dont try and tell me passive smoking cant kill, it has been proved) Mind you there have been some really odd and nasty smells around after a while with no smoke to cover the flatulance\perfume\b.o. cocktail ! Smoking punters have gone outside to smoke which has been ok but should be fun when the Norwegian winter sets in. As a dj there is no room for mistakes as the wrong track and half your dancefloor is out in the street smoking! The worse thing is that 50% of the punters who used to be out both friday and saturdays dont bother anymore or they turn up at 01.30 so obviously sooner or later someone is going to be bankrupt. Norwegian prices are expensive (eg £6 for a pint, £7 4cl brandy, Cigs £7.50 for 20) so your average man stays at home drinking and smoking and comes out late or passes out (i kid you not). So the result so far ? Healthwise good,business wise disasterous and in todays newspapers it tells of over 200 norwegian pubs\clubs anticipate closure before the end of the year. Meanwhile in Sweden police have refused a no smoking bill on the grounds that they do not have resources to enforce a ban.

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was speaking to my good friend Aina who lives on the west coast about this only a week ago. She was telling me that there is only one night spot in her town and they enforced the ban at first. But the Mayor allows people to smoke in this place and is a big regular to the venue. This is because the place nearly died a death as soon as the ban was enforced. Litterally no one would go. Its within the towns interest to keep smoking there our the small town will be without a watering hole. Apparently they can get away with this as its there is no police around for miles to enforce it.

I wonder if this is happening in many other places around the country??

If it aint got that Swing, it Dont mean a thing!!

Sadly, for my sins, I am a smoker and one thing I've always said is that banning smoking in pubs, clubs etc is bad for business .

Even our local theatre has seen a sudden drop in attendance since they made the only smoking area a little space of about 5mtrs by 10 metres (for and auditorium that holds 1500 people).

I agree that there should be no smoking area's for people who do not want to suffer my bad habit but unless they get the balance right, people won't go.

Have you ever noticed if you go into a pub that has both smoking and no smoking area's that it's always the smoking area that fills up first.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Think the mayor of that town on the west coast got done last week !

Keep pasties Cornish

Ireland was the first part of the EU to enforce a smoking ban. It came into effect here by law on March.

I am, btw, an unapologetic smoker, except in the presence of children, which I consider to be a completely different kettle of fish.

As a smoker, it has made life very difficult, no doubt...but I live in a democracy and the people have spoken.

For licensed premises in general, the effect has been absolutely disasterous. However, the struggle of the bar owner is NOT mine. It has had a very good effect on business as owners desperately try anything to fill their bars. Bookings are up big time for bar DJs and that benefits those of us who do mostly functions as well, as there is virtually full employment among all types of DJs.

The law applies to "an enclosed work area". Enclosed means that more than 20% of the perimeter boundary (excluding floor, including ceiling/roof) is "sheltered to the elements". Bars have responded by creating elaborate smoking rooms with chicken wire and strips of metal that you can shelter under in the rain frequently with space heaters as well. If you create a smoking room, you must inform the authorities and in my area at least they have inspected all of them. Many of them have had to be modified for being too enclosed.

I mostly do private parties and to be honest do not appreciate the average publican/bar owner. In private parties, I announce smoke breaks. During this time period I play less popuar, but requested tracks. If a smoker has requested a less popular track, I play it at the end of the "smoke break". I explain to people when they make a request for a less popular song that I am going to do this. I also ask them if they are a smoker and tell them not to loll about during the smoke break, but come back in if they want to hear the track.

This format works extremely well and has been copied by other DJs. I am ashamed to say it is not my idea, but borrowed from East Coast America. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/patriot.gif

I have done one disco that was a complete disaster since the smoking ban. 90% of the people were smokers and the function room was empty for the whole night. I had to go out with a radio mic to drag people in for the last song.

This is a rare occurrence though.

There has been a huge increase in home drinking, just like Norway apparently. This is probably not a good thing at all.... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I watched my Uncle suffer with a smoking related disease to the point where he couldn't walk 20 feet without oxygen and it wasn't pleasant, and I think scenes like that should be shown to all these bits of kids who are daft enough to think that smoking is somehow cool. Sorry to be blunt and graphic but if it helps to prevent somebody else suffering then so be it, for me personally, it still happens to still be a very raw subject and scenes like that when you are 14 are enough to keep you away from ciggies for life.

Whether you believe that passive smoking is harmful or not, its still unpleasant for those around you and blowing smoke into peoples faces shows little respect for them, whatever your argument. Like i've said before, I walk into the pub and 30 people 'share' their cigarette with me, but how many of them buy me a pint eh?? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif. When I go into a pub I try and sit close to the eating areas knowing them to be relatively smoke free....and NO that isn't an excuse I use to have a meal when I go to the pub http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

If the law came to the UK, I doubt it would be enforced, we already have similar laws for litter dropping with an on the spot £50 fine. However, I believe that it has only ever been enforced once, and it was so rare that it made national headlines.

Most of the smokers I know are considerate, and ask before they 'light' up, and don't smoke in my Car, and step out into the garden to smoke when they visit, and that is fine. Now if only some other smokers could be just as considerate......

Perhaps I should just clarify. When I say unapologetic, I don't mean inconsiderate. Yes it is true that I, in the past, forced adults to engage in passive smoking.

I do however always make deliberate attempts to keep my smoke exhalations away from other people, even other smokers. Showering someone in smoke is just plain bad manners, even if they are smokers themselves.

When you are in someone else's car, house, shop, whatever....they impose the rules, period.

And even in an entire country, I obey the rules, for I have to live with other people, that is what society is all about..if they have to obey laws that I consider important but they do not, then I must apply the same measure to myself.

Alas, Chris, most endings of life are sad. I have personally witnessed very closely the decline in life of someone very close to me too. It was not related to smoking.

I do not mean to minimise your distress, and it is admirable you do not want to see others go through it. It may help you think though why some people, people like me, just shrug when people talk of the dangers of smoking.

Bonne chance http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

The government are raking in the cash from tobacco taxes, then impose bans on smokers http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/mad.gif

& yes i smoke too http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I watched my Uncle suffer with a smoking related disease to the point where he couldn't walk 20 feet without oxygen and it wasn't pleasant

Believe it or not, I saw both my smoking parents die of cancer. The doctors never said it was due to smoking, though I am 100% sure that smoking is harmful to me.

But I still haven't managed to stop, even after hypnotherapy, accupuncture, patches and zyban. It is 90% willpower and I've got none.

Perhaps I should just clarify. When I say unapologetic, I don't mean inconsiderate.

I do however always make deliberate attempts to keep my smoke exhalations away from other people, even other smokers. Showering someone in smoke is just plain bad manners, even if they are smokers themselves

When you are in someone else's car, house, shop, whatever....they impose the rules, period

Totally agree. I am always very conscious(sp) of my smoke affecting others.

I'm sure ChrisP will confirm, when I visited him at 1 of his gigs I went outside for my fixes, and when we went to Plasa I always moved well away from everyone while I had a smoke.

For me, banning smoking in places is not the way to get people to stop. The only people that suffer are the proprieters, I simply don't go to places where there is a total no smoking rule.

The best thing the government could do for me would be to ban cigarettes etc completely. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

It just feels like it.

My hotel has a no smoking policy, and built a really nice hungarian awning complete with heaters to accommodate those wishing to smoke..... however, despite the numerous notices inside the function suite, the smokers blatantly ignore the no smoking policy!... One reason for the policy was that the hotel was getting sick and tired of people putting their fags out on the carpet..... so as soon as the ashtrays disappeared... guess what..... the carpets took more abuse than ever before - resulting in the hotel having to totally recarpet.

On passive smoking..... just because you dont blow smoke in somebodies elses face, doesnt mean that you are not harming them...... apparantly (a midwife told me this)... the smoke that is absorbed via your clothing/skin/hair still can cause problems.

Im a smoker.... and smoking bans can only be a good thing... in helping me to give up anyway... the only problem I can foresee is that when a total ban in public becomes enforced... how are the government going to make up the short fall in taxes that cigarettes bring in?....... And..... I reckon that cigarettes will then become just another drug sold by "dealers" rather than "retailers"

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And..... I reckon that cigarettes will then become just another drug sold by "dealers" rather than "retailers"

Good Point and very relative, and the danger of participating in something underground, may encourage more youngsters to take up the habit. After all isn't the thrill of doing something that they could get in trouble for, part of the thrill of taking up the habit in the first place?. So it's not only peer pressure which comes into play but the increased risk factor as well.

I think that this applies to drinking also, in fact I think the French Approach to moderated teenage drinking (Where older children are allowed a glass of wine with a meal within the family unit) is a good idea. After all, if parents allow their older kids one drink with them at meal times and it becomes a routine, then isn't the thrill of drinking without their parents' knowledge somewhat reduced?.

Paul, the best way to stop smoking is to buy the Patches, put them over your eyes and you won't be able to find your fags !! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

QUOTE (High Fidelity @ Nov 2 2004, 09:29 PM)
It is 90% willpower and I've got none.

There`s your problem - not the will power, the simple fact that you don`t believe you can do it.

I smoked from the age of nine (yes, NINE) and peaked at 40 a day and 60 at weekends.

I "tried" to pack in dozens of times from the age of 25, all with varying degrees of success, but with ultimate failure.

The last ciggie I smoked was September 15 1998, the day before my :cense:th birthday http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I haven`t packed `em in, I`m just having a break from them for a while... and that`s what got me through.

Over six years now, and I hardly ever think about them... but I do sometimes!

Just keep trying and remember next time you go to light up - just miss out that one, and you`ve made progress. If you succumb and light up anyway, it`s not the end of the world, it`s just little delay and another hurdle, but you`ll do it one day.

Firstly I'd like to apologise for my recent lack of posting. It is due to not having the internet which is being sorted out as we speak.

Back to the topic.

I watched my Uncle suffer with a smoking related disease to the point where he couldn't walk 20 feet without oxygen and it wasn't pleasant, and I think scenes like that should be shown to all these bits of kids who are daft enough to think that smoking is somehow cool.

I totally agree with this comment as I saw my dad go through six months of hell before he died, due to smoking when he was younger and through passive smoking. I must admit a majoritory of schools, kids, teenagers, whatever do see smoking as cool. After seeing what It can do to people first hand, and the effects it has I think there should be a total ban on smoking in public places.

On the other side of the coin I also agree that people have there own rights and have there own choice to smoke.

Its a very big field to debate, as its bad for business but also at the same time its bad for health.

DM

Paul, the best way to stop smoking is to buy the Patches, put them over your eyes and you won't be able to find your fags !!

Ouch!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

Sorry Andy, it doesn't work. I've got no eylashes left now and fell down the stairs cos I couldn't see where I was going. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I haven`t packed `em in, I`m just having a break from them for a while...

Sounds like a good plan http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

As it says on the quit smoking campaigns. "I haven't given up, giving up".

It just feels like it.

Maybe it will help if I show him how badly I was hooked.

I lost count of the times I "gave up", then dashed to the shops to buy a packet of fags, lit one and took a few drags, then threw away the packet in disgust at myself, only to go and buy another packet later on.

Yes, at times it was a lot cheaper for me to stay hooked than try to give up.

I can remember sneaking down the garden for a sly drag when I was supposed to have packed in. After weeks of this my missus one night said; "look, I know you`re smoking out there, why don`t you come clean about it?" I did, but made the concession that I wouldn`t smoke in the house - especially as my wife was a non-smoker and had heart disease and asthma.

I once gave up and got myself sponsored for charity...

I took £360 from people who sponsored me to stay off the smokes for 6 months. Even my doctor put a fiver in the pot. The dosh was handed over at a charity event where I did a half-hour set (club singer at the time), and gave the cheque to Mike McCartney who accepted on behalf of The Merseycats Childrens Charity.

I lasted about another fortnight before I accepted a cigar off a friend, and that started me smoking again.

I always used to say; "It`s dead easy to pack in smoking - I`ve done it thousands of times"

There`s no surefire way of doing it, it`s whatever suits you. Some people smoke one less per day until they stop, or they have their first smoke five minutes later every day until they reach the point where it`s mid-afternoon, they haven`t yet smoked, so what`s the point having one?? Then they`re on the home stretch.

-

Sorry if I`ve rambled on a bit but it`s a subject close to my heart as I also watched my dad die of Lung Cancer and it hurt like Hell! I also get annoyed seeing people (including myself at the time) destroying their lungs with smoke while my missus, through no fault of her own, has spent a lifetime fighting for breath.

--

Remember, you WILL stop smoking..... when the cremation has finished.

Hi Guys

My younger brother is at Leeds Uni, earlier this year they introduced a smoking ban in the student union. It didn't even last a week as there was apparently less than 50% of customers coming in .

I just can't see it working as some of the pubs and clubs round here don't really enforce underage drinking they wont have a hope of enforcing a smoking ban. Also if they do try to enforce the ban im sure the customers will go else where as not everywhere will enforce the ban actively.

I only smoke at work and im a full time dj with no plan to adhere to a ban. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/221.gif

Smoked for 26 years ,gave up using Zyban 3 years ago. Would also like to add that i have never smoked in my own house,always went out no matter what the weather.

Edited by C.S

Keep pasties Cornish

Paul, the best way to stop smoking is to buy the Patches, put them over your eyes and you won't be able to find your fags !! 

True !!! or even over your mouth.... but then i supose you would start smoking through you nose....... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

The only UK number 1 record to contain in its lyrics the title of the song which knocked it off number 1 was... Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen (lyric: "Mamma Mia")!

The Forums Computer Nutter and expert!

Discos, Lighting and Sound Reinforcement in and around

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Gloustershire and Buckinghamshire etc...

Special FX Entertainment Services

I agree with a smoking ban. It will come. I have a friend who is a manager of a chain pub and it is in the pipeline.

I have never smoked, but some of the venues I played, the following day my lungs feel like they have been through a cheese grater! I hate the smell when you get home and all your gear stinks like an ashtray.

Anyone with with fan cooled lighting effects, get a white cloth and clear alcohol and clean the internal lenses!

Having smoking areas within a venue only works if proper ventilation is considered. A local family pub has a smoking area where the warm air heating blows the smoke into the non-smoking area.

The goverment raises significant revenue from tobacco duty. If smoking where to stop what would be next in line for taxation? Not all goes to hospitals to fund smoking relating aliments.

If smokers want to smoke, fine, just as long as it doesn't effect anyone else.

Cheezy

• 4 months later...

How are DJU members finding current smoking guidelines now, a few months on from the various new plans being implemented?

I've noticed one or two more smokers gathered around fire exits etc for a quick puff, before coming back in for a dance (probably to warm up again). I'd be a bit concerned if more smokers will be "nipping out" away from the music and atmosphere for a quick drag, once the weather warms up, as one or two of my most regular venues are laid out in such a way that some smokers will have to go out of earshot of the music/mic for their outside puffs, spreading the party-goers out over 3 locations (Disco room/bars/"smokers corner")

What I find ironic about all this smoking ban etc... is that those who put these laws into place are quite happy to jump in a dirty great motor, and polute more airspace than anyone with a ciggy going, could ever manage.

Whilst, in principle would should all do our bit, we need to look at the wider picture and consequences of other actions, in relation to causing people harm.

No doubt these law makers have large vested interests in large multi-national chemical / oil companies who are doing more damage to people by damaging the very place we live.

Finally, how can a politician tell us where we can / can't smoke and then jump in a dirty great jag to travel around the corner????

Admittedly, some smokers are ar*eholes who don't show any condsideration for anyone, but there are those who are being victimised because of those with attitude. Surely in this politically correct nanny state in which we seem to be living, this is discrimination against a section of society / minority....... or is that another story............. D'oh, I shouldn't have opened that can - there are worms everywhere now....

" It's all part of lifes' rich tapestry of which we are but a pulled thread! "

QUOTE (Cheezy @ Nov 5 2004, 12:57 PM)
I agree with a smoking ban. It will come. I have a friend who is a manager of a chain pub and it is in the pipeline.

I have never smoked, but some of the venues I played, the following day my lungs feel like they have been through a cheese grater! I hate the smell when you get home and all your gear stinks like an ashtray.

Anyone with with fan cooled lighting effects, get a white cloth and clear alcohol and clean the internal lenses!

Having smoking areas within a venue only works if proper ventilation is considered. A local family pub has a smoking area where the warm air heating blows the smoke into the non-smoking area.

The goverment raises significant revenue from tobacco duty. If smoking where to stop what would be next in line for taxation? Not all goes to hospitals to fund smoking relating aliments.

If smokers want to smoke, fine, just as long as it doesn't effect anyone else.

Cheezy

Please don't take this the wrong way mate, but surely being a DJ, means that smelling of ciggy's / dealing with smokers, is an occupational hazard?

And, no I don't smoke either.

" It's all part of lifes' rich tapestry of which we are but a pulled thread! "