Dj's United

Another new bit of kit for me !

OK, DJ dilemma, sort of.

You have set your kit up and playing background music for either Christmas parties, or a wedding meal, you don't stand behind the decks staring at people eating, so you sit in the bar area, downstairs.

What happens if the volume is required to be lowered, increased, or stopped, or your CD sticks.

How does the DM get hold of you quickly.

I have just purchased a couple (a set) of re-chargeable walkie talkies so I left one at the set up and tell the DM that if I am required just press the PTT button and I will come running (well walking briskly really) as I will have the other one on me, I can 'officially' be 12 miles away, although that would make it the biggest hotel bar in the world.......ever (Part 16)

How are you contactable ?

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I stay with my gear http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

i generally stay with my gear but if i have to nip off(loo break)i just let a member of staff know

i'm always in the do do its just the depth that varies

The same as you Andy, My Roadie has a radio and so do I, and we have another pair that we leave at the desk or with the DMs etc.

Works very well. im with you i cant stand wathcing people eat http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

If it aint got that Swing, it Dont mean a thing!!

Quote:

do a little slight of hand and close-up magic

Now that idea I like.I have always enjoyed magic, in fact at my wedding reception I indulged myself and did a little cabaret of magic tricks.I am not sure whether the guests enjoyed it but I certainly did.

Yes I like that idea DJae

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Never leave the gear either!

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

Leave your gear http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif omg, my gear is ALWAYS guarded by one of us! but we have radios too.

Cyas

Mike

<center>MDM Roadshows - Professional Mobile Disco Service For The South East

Email: info@mdmroadshows.com

MSN: vapournetmike@hotmail.com

</center>

Erm............I leave my kit set up most weeks, and I'm not even in the hotel i.e. this Friday I will set up in a pub at 9am, leave it there and meet C.S 30 miles away, then do a kids disco from 6pm to 9pm, then straight back to the first set up to start at 8pm officially, so I will get the barman to press start on the CD player at 8pm and let it run until I get there. Once I finish at 12 midnight, I drive to Torquay and set my kit up again in a hotel ready for a DJ Saturday night, he will leave it there and I will collect it either at 3am Sunday morning or 9am Sunday morning. It will then be set up in another pub ready for Sunday evening. I could stay with all my kit all the time.

I know this isn't good practice but if what I have to do

Your Big Event

I prefer never to leave my stuff anyway unattended unless I really have no option. On the occasion when there is no option but to set up at a venue before an Afternoon Wedding Reception for example, then I have set up the bulk of the stuff, but kept the small (easy to pilfer) items such as Laptop, Cd Collection and Radio Mic with me until the Evening.

I've also left various important (to the running of the show) leads in the van, such as Speakons, to prevent some bored 15 year old wannabe DJ from firing the stuff up http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/nono.gif .

Call me a suspicious old git, but in this day and age, trust NOBODY.

Suspicious old git !

But I do live in Devon

Your Big Event

do you have those ear pieces for your walkie talkies "all clear, bring eagle one in". i've always wanted to do that in a hotel foyer!

Virtually starved and out of ammunition 2 Para finally surrenderd at Arhnem.

German Officer :"I have fought many battles including stalingrad, and yet have never met men so skilled in city fighting - where did you learn this?"

British Officer: "Well it was our first time, but we'll try to do better next time"

I have pretty much the same as the above picture, and yes it has got VOX so I can stand in a foyer and talk.

Can even talk to someone 12 miles away (in perfect conditions)

Your Big Event

Hi

Personally, looking at it from the customer's point of view, I'd find it very off-putting to have the DJ hanging around while I'm trying to feed my face with a 3 course meal.

We tend to go sit in the bar or go find some food for ourselves.

Regarding leaving your gear set up all day and coming back later, I always make a point of getting the venue/customer to sign a document stating that they take full responsibility for making sure the room is secured, particularly if I've had to set up at their request.

If they won't sign the document before I've started setting up, simple, I go home and they have to live with the consequences. No one has refused to sign yet.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

QUOTE (ADS Entertainments @ Nov 22 2004, 01:37 PM)
Suspicious old git !

But I do live in Devon

No just Practical,

Around here they would have your fillings out if you fell asleep in the pub, let alone trust anyone around £7000 worth of unattended gear. Would you leave your car unlocked in a public car park all day with posessions / phone on display in the hope that the car park attendant would spot anybody taking from it? - well basically that is similar to what you are risking with unattended gear at a venue.

Given that other DJ's have had gear nicked from their locked vehicles, or even home premises, do you think an open, unattended function room in a busy hotel with people, tradesmen and guests coming and going all day, would pose much of a challenge to somebody who is perhaps an experienced shoplifter?.

Think of it this way, when you are setting up / packing away your gear, how many of the hotel staff challenge you as to what you are doing, and 'Where are you going with that equipment'?. They just assume that you are the DJ and the gear is yours. Do you really think that they would think differently to seeing a thief casually walking out to his van with your gear during the Afternoon? How many would even NOTICE??. No they would just assume that they are are either the DJ or their roadie / employee moving around the equipment, especially if it was a place where you have never worked before. It's not like thieves wear placards or stripey jumpers advertisig the fact, - they can often be in suits and ties.

Even if the management assure you that the room is kept locked, this is rarely adhered to. It would be impossible to keep a room 100% secure with cleaning and bar staff in and out, then the waiting staff have to lay out the tables, then the catering staff, florist, balloon suppliers, photographer have to access the room to set up. Needless to say there is a distinct possibility that the room will be open and perhaps unattended for long periods of time during the morning & afternoon.

On occasion I have been asked to carry out repairs for those DJ's who do residencies, or leave their gear set up at functions. Often I get a phone call asking me to repair / service a piece of equipment, and can pick it up from the actual venue. This means walking into a venue, walking up to the disco, disconnecting the equipment which needs looking at, and walking out with it. I've lost track of the number of times I've walked out of an open pub or hotel carrying a CD Player or Amplifier and i've never ONCE been challenged by a member of staff, sometimes they'll even hold the door open for me!!!!!. So if I can do this, in places where I am a stranger to the staff, then what is stopping anybody else from doing exactly the same and getting away with it.

Food for thought if your gear is set up and left unattended at this moment in time Huh?.

Ok folks

so some recommendations regarding a good quality walkie talkie please, seems like a great idea.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

After looking at a few, it seems most decent priced one, above £50 are pretty much the same, especially as we only need them for 'walkie talkies', mine has a range of 12 miles, so the cheaper they are the less coverage, whilst this shouldn't be a problem, I always buy better than what I need as a form of backup, I have tested my BT ones, and it works whilst my wife is at home and I'm in the pub (Testing only, not under the thumb http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif )

Your Big Event

i stay with my equipment as well - definitely don't trust anyone anywhere, and for some reason I don't feel I'm making a good impressions on the folks paying me if it's obvious I've bunged a compilation on and wandered off, I try to look like I'm busy behind the decks for the whole time they've booked me - but that's probably just me and I'm sure they wouldn't notice if I wasn't there.....

......a pair of walkie talkies with a free roadie - I'd buy them!

Right for those interested in buying 2-way radios. Heres a Special offer until midnight tonight (5-12-04)

Motorola T5422 Twin Pack

Advertised at £69.99 a pair

Enter Promo Code:- ccg5xm into the third page of the checkout and this is reduced to £48.99 inclusive and delivery is free.

Valid until midnight tonight http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Your Big Event

QUOTE (Discodunc @ Dec 5 2004, 02:46 PM)
Ads

Isn't 3km alot less than 12 miles? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/whistling.gif

Dunc.

In normal terms yes. But when you live in Devon, and drive everywhere by tractor, 3km can seem like 12 miles http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

You are correct, the other ones are 12miles/kms (I don't really know or care as it more than I need) http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Ideal for mountaineers, cyclists etc but not really any good for DJ's having more than a mile I suppose.

Your Big Event