Dj's United

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

Funkymook

2. What is your Real Name?

Martin

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

The Soul Kitchen (depends on the event though)

4. How long have you been DJ'ing?

5yrs

5. What inspired you to become a DJ?

No one locally was playing the sort of music i wanted to hear - funk, soul, reggae, punk, indie alternative, jazz, psychedelia, so rather than whinge about it i went and did it myself.

6. What type of "Do" was your first gig?

A thursday night at a local nightclub - I arranged cheap admission, no dress code (unheard of for this club) - played funk and soul - split the door takings 50/50.

7. How much did you charge

Made about £180

8. What equipment did you have to begin with?

None, used the clubs. but bought cd decks from my earnings.

9. Whats the worst/most embarassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Accidently played 'Walking the Dog' by Rufus Thomas as the Bride and Groom were leaving their wedding party (tip - always make sure you know what cd you are putting on from a 2 cd compilation)

10. What is your favourite type of function now? EG: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc?

My own, when I can get my own venue and have complete door and music control.....otherwise I really like older crowds, 50th 60th birthdays Wedding Anniversarys etc. they always appreciate it when you play the music they like, from easy listening to rock 'n' roll - and they always lay on a good buffet and make sure you are fed and watered. Also like anything non-mainstream, goth, indie, metal etc not many DJ's around who cater for this type of stuff.

11. Is there anything that you include in your show now, that you wish you'd done/known when you started? (Not equipment, but in human/performer terms)

Not really, I'm very minimal, just play the music, no chat, just a few buffet open, last orders type announcements if I really have to...

12. What do you feel you offer your public, that makes you a better DJ than "the next guy/girl"?

I really have to get the music right for the night, especially if I know there are music fans in the audience - I enjoy music and really get off from surprising people who are also into their music with what I play - for me it's a matter of pride to get it right and not just play the same standard party tunes all the time...(though nothing wrong with that if that's what people want, still get a buzz if people cheer when Loveshack comes on)

13. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadnt? and why

Not really, everthing gets used at some point or another, and I'd rather have the gear than not

14. Whats your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Trying to reduce the weight of the gear I use - so maybe powered speakers - just bought a cdmix2 which is saving loads of size and weight over my carpet boxed system.

15. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

A special light or smoke that makes people get on the dancefloor really early....

16. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

Getting a buzz out of seeing people enjoy themselves - ayour music makes or breaks the party.

17. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

I hate those nights where its gone really well, everybody has been dancing away and really enjoying themselves and at the end no one bothers to come up and say thanks while you're packing your gear up - sounds like I want a pat on the back for doing my job but i think it's more than that - on a good night you've really read the audience and feel some sort of connection to them, so some contact at the end would be great - it only takes one person to say thanks to put a grin on my face.

18. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

If I ever stopped enjoying it.

19. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Apart from using MP3's, etc I don't think it will much, not on the mobile side anyway.

20. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Hello me and my mate are from London (this was at a friends wedding out in the sticks and they assumed I was a local) I bet you've got some really good tunes in there that you're not playing, do you mind if we take over....considering the dance floor was packed and it was going really well I was a bit insulted.....wouldn't have minded if they had gone through my stuff and asked for tunes to be played, it was the taking over bit that got to me...

21. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

I've never really talked to other dj's, don't seem to meet any - which is why I have joined this site....

22. And worst advice you were ever given?

Hello mate I'm the usual DJ down here but I was busy tonight so that's why you've got my gig - put Agadoo on, they love it.....I politely informed him I didn't have it with me.....

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill you dance floor!

My gigs:-

Street Tuff Rebel MC

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

Clash - Should I stay or should I go now

Hired gigs:-

Tom Jones It's not Unusual

Abba Dancing Queen (of course)

Stealers Wheel Stuck in the Middle...

24. Your Age

25. Your Location

Ashford, Middx

26. Martial status

Single

27. Education level

A level

28. Mode of transportation

car

29. What equipment do you currently use?

Numark CD32s - just got a Numark CDMIX2 so will be replacing the CD32 when I'm happy with the reliability - never had a moment problem with it and hoping the CDMIX2 is as good. Numark CM100 mixer iPod QSC P2 amp StudioMaster 1200D amp (not really used, the QSC has plenty for power for the tops and bass bin) RCF ART300 Speakers HZ SB600 bass bin - (not the best sound by a long way, but very lightweight for an 18" - only use it on some big gigs or if I know I'm playing a lot of reggea - the ART300's are ample for most of my bookings. Aphex Aurel Excitor (recommend this kit to everyone - totally transforms the quality of your sound) 3 optikinetic solar 250's with various oil wheels and cassetes (only used for really funky, psychedelic gigs) 2 hyper moons and 2 twisters for all other gigs Haze machine UV cannon dj stand with lighting bar. seperate lighting stand

30. How much have you "invested" in equipment?

must be getting on for £5000 - easily more if you count all the cds

31. What was your reason for becoming a DJ?

To play the music i wanted to hear - from that it's grown by word of mouth (i don't advertise at all).

32. Approximately how many gigs have you done to date?

Really hard to work out, but over the last 5years it's grown steadily and I seem to be working at least 3 saturdays a month throughout the year, and maybe 1 - 2 fridays a month as well - Christmas brings every Friday and Saturday during December and quite a few midweeks as well. I also try and play my own gigs every few months where I can play to my own crowd.

33. Add Any additional Comments which you would like to include here

I still see the DJ'ng thing as a hobby, my main aim is to arrange my own nights in pubs, wine bars etc and play the music I like - the gigs I'm booked for I see as favours for friends and friends of friends - this way I can be really choosy which ones I do - I tend to avoid house, garage, r 'n' b etc because it's not my genre and the DJ's who are into this music should get these gigs - obviously I do take some of this music with me just in case, whatever the person booking you tells you they want played you can bet sometimes it'll be totally different, so everything goes into my box, from easy listening to irish to punk to chart (actually just got an iPod so thats got everything on it, it's really handy) I seem to have found a little niche locally for playing alternative gigs goths, indie, bikers etc - I don't think there's any local DJ's here who could cover these properly - i.e. someone recently wanted a night of Marilyn Manson, Nine inch Nails etc so made sure I get to the venue really early, helped decorate, use my projectors to show goth images to really make it into an event....|I suppose that's what I really enjoy doing, helping to make it into a blinding party!!!

Interesting stuff. T'was a good read http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Accidently played 'Walking the Dog' by Rufus Thomas as the Bride and Groom were leaving their wedding party (tip - always make sure you know what cd you are putting on from a 2 cd compilation)

He he - I've been caught out with this as well - it wasn't 'Walking the Dog' but it was right track, wrong disc. After that I made sure that all dual compilation CDs were clearly marked.

You seem to have found your niche market - good luck to you http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

PaulS

Respects to you young sir http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/cool.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/beer.gif Good one my son keep up the good work http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/beer.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/headphone.gif

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>KEEP THE FAITH</span>

M.U. Member

THE MOBILE DISCO IN NORFOLK.SUFFOLK,CAMBRIDGSHIRE AND THE UK

PLI YES £10,000,000

PAT TESTED YES

0845 46 DISCO / MOB 07703011164

www.firstchoiceentertainmentsuk.co.uk

EXCELLENCE IN ENTERTAINMENT SINCE 1965

OUALITY IS NOT EXSPENSIVE IT'S PRICELESS

Well done, nice to hear a different aproach to the job and a good interesting interview. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/cool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Nice one.

When I did an 80's night in Birmingham for 18 months, it was probably the most fulfilling time I've had as a DJ. Playign music you love for people who love it too.

Gr8 interview

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Great interview Martin, good to see other DJs passionate about some of their work - that can't happen in many industries. I think you need to let us know when your next events run, so we can come and enjoy.

Niche is part of the future, respect!

good review made a good read http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Dave

--------------DAVE-------------

D&J BEATZ ENTERTAINMENTS

davetherave_624@hotmail.com