Dj's United

Hi

I'm looking for advice/guidance re volour changers.

Expected price to pay?

DMX controller necessary or just recommended?

makes to look at or avoid?

general advantages and disadvantages

limitations etc

You get the idea, lol

Cheers guys and gals

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Hi Darren,

I have used 2 Gemi DMX color blasters for years now.

They are used in master and slave mode, running their automatic sound to light program.

I tried using a DMX controller, but it was too complex for a 1 man roadshow.

Plus side:

Large colour wash, vivid dichoric colours with strobe and dim up/down. Take lens out for even bigger beam spread. Look great when synchronised, dmx 3 pin xlr in/out.

Can be used as a white spot light, great for mirror balls (dip switch 4- on). Bulb replacement is very easy, and actually easier when changer is hanging.

Tough, even after years of heavy gigging they have been 100% reliable

Down side:

Heavy, limited in-built program. Fan moves a lot of air, so regular cleaning is needed if used in dusty enviroments eg carpeted dance floors!

Cheezy

I've used the Soundlab Version. Cheap and does everything that it says on the tin.

I also agree that a DMX controller is overkill and a little more trouble than its worth.

Also another good alternative for colour changers is the rippling Water type effects, these are available from a number of manufacturers such as Chauvet, Martin, Soundlab and Showtec. I reviewed the Soundlab one over the weekend, and you can find a description of how it works in the Reviews Section, and the description would pretty much sum up the effect from all of the manufacturers who offer them.