Dj's United

Now lets get this straight.....

Following on from the powered /unpowered speaker debate.

I really am thinking about buying new speakers/amp but I dont want to fall into the same trap as I did with my mixer(Beringer) and regret my purchase.

At present I run Quazar speakers thro a Peavez amp.

400W RMS @ 4 Ohms - 275W RMS @ 8 Ohms.

I want to just replace like for like in terms of output;I will worry about which make later;possibly 400 speakers with 300 @ 8 Ohms amp. BUT I have been very impressed with a powered system.So I just need some answers from you techie guys-they may seem straight forward to you but .......

To achieve 400 w per side from my present system I need to run 2 speakers per side otherwise I am only getting 275 per side with one speaker.

To achieve the same 400 per side with powered I can do it with one 400w cab.Lets say a Mackie 450

Hope I am right so far.

If I wanted more output for a bigger venue how would you achieve it?

By adding a base bin,or another pair of amp powered speakers?Can you daisy chain powered speakers?

I know the argument for /against powered cabs revolves around one side or the other going down but is there any other major factor that I should consider.

Sorry about all the questions but to me this will be a major outlay and I really must get this one right.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

To achieve 400 w per side from my present system I need to run 2 speakers per side otherwise I am only getting 275 per side with one speaker.
To achieve the same 400 per side with powered I can do it with one 400w cab.Lets say a Mackie 450 Hope I am right so far.

Correct

If I wanted more output for a bigger venue how would you achieve it?
By adding a base bin,or another pair of amp powered speakers

If you were going the powered route, then you would be better to buy a pair of powered bass bins and have them next to your powered full range,

OR

Buy an additional pair of powered speakers and place them elsewhere in the room

A band I sometimes work with, do this by having one pair of speakers at the front of the band, and another set of powered speakers at the back of the room, or positioned halfway down the room

There are different way of wiring 'remote' speakers. Some use traditional balanced XLR type cables (Where is safe and practical to do so) others use an RF system which consists of a transmitter plugged into the output of your mixer, and a receiver located close to the speakers which feeds them with a line level input. Using this approach is a high tech, but relatively low cost approach to avoiding the use of long cable runs and any subsequent losses on long cable runs.

A cheap, way of using the RF method is to buy a set of video senders which are used to transmit video or sky to other TV's in the house and these work pretty well just with the stereo audio signals (provided there isn't a microwave in the vicinity). However for additional reliability and range I recommend the high power 1W Output types Example

However just adding a pair of bass bins or additional powereds will help

Can you daisy chain powered speakers

Most Active speakers will have some form of in / out sockets on the rear panel. This will enable you to 'slave' one pair of speakers from the input of the others.

So you'll take a lead from the output of your mixer to the input socket on the 1st speaker, and then another lead from this speaker to the input of your 2nd speaker (or bass bin).

However very few powered speakers allow you to plug in an additional passive loudspeaker and run it from the built in amplifier in the powered speaker.

im not a expert at all the techie side of things but yes you can daisy chain actives to each other.

i bought a pair of FBTmaxx4 400w a side actives a couple of months ago and all you have to do is go from one output to the other input using any make of active speaker, mid and tops or sub bass. ive seen a set up that runs 3 mackie srm450 a side and one sub bass a side and it sounded awsom.

hope this helps a bit.

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Thanks for the replies so far.Chris,could I run my original Quasars/Peavez as the extra set at the same time as the powered set?

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

You should have said something when I was in Norfolk a few weeks ago, I had both types of system with me, all HZ but active and passive speakers, run through a HZ and a Studiomaster amp(s). It was all set up and I could have shown it to you.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to use them with a passive system as long as you are placing your power amp next to your remote speaker.

Just think of them as an alternative phono lead, so anywhere you would use a phono lead, ie going from CD player into mixer or mixer into amp, they should be fine. Try sticking the signal out of your amp into them and they will get very upset.