Dj's United

becoming a hip-hop DJ help!

Guest casey

I am interested in learning the art of Djing but not like being a DJ at special events like weddings etc... but making mix-tapes, and things like that and being DJ at a night club or something like DJ clue, and others....what kind of equipment is needed, and how can i learn the equipment? thanks a lot!!!! if no one knows bout this side of Djing could you tell me where i could look to find more info? thanks again

Casey

advice

haha http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

You really want a decent pair of decks or duel cd players, with seemless loop. A mixer with a bmp counter is handy too, you can get addones with bpm counters on the, for pluging into you headphones.

Your other best bet is your computer, cheap programs that do it all for you.. in respeact...

Hope this helps

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

Guest Chris Dawson

Right, first of all you need a decent pair of decks, because i presume you will want to learn scratching you are best off getting a pair of decs with straight tone arms. so technics 1210s are out of the question... not that there the best anyway... I would strongly recomend the Stanton STR8-100s. There great decks and are ideal for mixing a scratching. Dont get cd decks cause u would look wrong in a club and most hip hop clubs dont have cd players anyway... plus u cant really scratch properly with cd decks no matter what people say... vinyl is better for club djing.

Next you want a decent 3 channel mixer with full EQ on all channels etc. You dont really need a bpm counter for scratch mixing or beatmatching. Using your ears is much easier and more reliable. I have always found BPM counters to be wrong or just generaly crap. I'm not going to recoment a mixer to you because I dont really know what you want and what is best for it. Just make sure it has 3 channels and full EQ ... i have a Behringer vmx300... it does have a built in bpm counter if u really want one but its also 3 channel and ful EQ etc, also its got a nice x-fader ideal for scratching (i dont scratch tho).

As for learning the equipment, its all pretty simple really but you jkust have to practice and get to know it and most of all you have to have a musical ear. can you clap a beat some music? thats just for beatmatching tho... as for scratching, its all kinda about hand coordination, like being able to do 2 completly different things at the same time with each hand... it all takes practice really, dont read any online tutorials or anything unless your really stuck, its best to work out ur own style to mixing so that your doing it how you want and whats easiest to you.

Hope that helps