Dj's United

I have just picked up a 400W amp and a pair of bass boxes both made by H&H do you know if they are a reasonable brand. I believe that they are quite old but I am unable to find out much information about them.

Can anyone help?

Why don't we start making hellium filled bubble wrap?<P> It would help keep postage costs down.

H&H are a good brand. Are they the "Electronic" ones. And I hope you've got strong muscles to lift the speakers. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

When I was doing the clubs as a vocal guitarist 30 years ago they were the Rolls Royce of equipment.

I had a H/H guitar amp and H/H PA amp & speakers, and a H/H echo unit.

Most of the artists that I knew at that time drooled over them.

I'm fairly certain they were made in Leigh, Nr Warrington.They certainly had a shop there.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

H:H are still respected in the PA world. Their V series rackmount power amps were fitted in nightclubs nationwide throughout the late 80's and early 90's and many are still going strong today; in fact second hand units are sought after for their sound and reliability. The older leathercloth covered units and matching speakers were the main tool of cabaret stars throughout the 70's.

H:H are still going strong today under the name BLT Laney Headstock in Birmingham and they can supply spares and diagrams for most products. HH schematics are available for download from the Laney website. K. Edwards

H/H was my first set up, a 100w mono amp, and matching speakers, had to hire a German womans wrestling team each gig to carry it in for me.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

those were the days. H:H were the buisiness. i had three 1kw amps that used to kick some serious sound out, but as Ads said they were http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored2.gif heavy.

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

There was a time (early 80's) when H&H seemed to be copying Citronic's range of mixers, almost button for button. And back then, both makes were considered to be reliable.

I used to use a H&H amp, and it used to warm up to a stunning temperature, but never gave out, or shut down etc.

Ok well here is what I purchased....

1 H&H M900 AMP GOOD WORKING ORDER

1 PAIR H&H SUB / BASS SPEAKERS rated 300 watt 16 ohmn = (4 ohmn 1200 watt)

1 3G CROSSOVER BRAND NEW BOXED Never used,you will have to buy internal eq cards though!

A PAIR OF UNKOWN TOP / MID SPKS (TOPS GONE So will need to repair)

I wanted a slightly bigger system for when I do larger venues and it's good to have a backup set of speakers (if they turn out to be any good)

How much do you think I should have paid?

Why don't we start making hellium filled bubble wrap?<P> It would help keep postage costs down.
QUOTE (Dynamicdiscos @ Feb 11 2005, 09:10 AM)
Ok well here is what I purchased....

1 H&H M900 AMP GOOD WORKING ORDER
1 PAIR H&H SUB / BASS SPEAKERS rated 300 watt 16 ohmn = (4 ohmn 1200 watt)
1 3G CROSSOVER BRAND NEW BOXED Never used,you will have to buy internal eq cards though!
A PAIR OF UNKOWN TOP / MID SPKS (TOPS GONE So will need to repair)

How much do you think I should have paid?

Not too much I hope.

I think the 3G cards will be hard to find, they dont make stuff anymore.

The 16 ohm bins will be difficult to drive, I would change the drivers for something more sensible.

Just a guess, but my bid would only have been about £250 the lot!

Ok so £137 wasn't too bad then?

I the DJ i first started off with had a pair of H&H Speakers. They were only 200watts and were very heavy. They had a silver cone inside them.

I do remember the H&H amps too, They were silver on the front and like said above with green light on the front. Had a red rocker switch, a handle either side, and a leathery kinda covering on it.

Does anyone remeber the VOX speakers ?

With gold criss cross shape on them? Kind of like a column speakers but were about 150watts

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

Does anyone remeber the VOX speakers ?
With gold criss cross shape on them? Kind of like a column speakers but were about 150watts

Never had the Vox speakers but did have a Vox guitar amp combo.

It had the silver and grey vinyl covering, the gold criss cross shape speaker covering and it was valve. Had a beautiful warm sound and when it was cold in the venue you could stick your hands in the back to warm them up.

I'd love to be able to remember what I did with it, I believe they are collectors items now.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Quick tip for you:

Wire the 2 subs in parallel and you'll get a 8R load. Most amps will bridge into 8R and will be much cheaper to find. I'd suggest something that gives around 500w a side into 4R will work nicely. You don't need to run the subs in stereo, just make sure you're feeding it a summed output of both channels.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Ok so I have now had a fiddle with some of the equipment. The base bins really do pack a punch. The anonamous speakers aren't too bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with a pair of H&H PRO 150 speakers in the eighties they really rocked. Also used to use an H&H Unit system III - this had two 8 ohm 200 watt bass bins per side, a large flared horn and a pair of bullet tweeters. That was awesome when we used it for big halls with a V800 amp - its still in my mates lockup - might resurrect it one day! The mid horns have popped though - would need to find new drivers for them - or I could use the subs with my Peavey rig maybe? Hmmmm theres an idea...

I too used to have some H&H kit.

I now only have a V900 amplifier which is a fantastic amp 450Wrms @ 8 ohm...

But all there it was 8 or 16 ohm for some bizarre reason !!! only there more modden stuff was rated at 4ohm... but then they disapeared...

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/huh.gif

The only UK number 1 record to contain in its lyrics the title of the song which knocked it off number 1 was... Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen (lyric: "Mamma Mia")!

The Forums Computer Nutter and expert!

Discos, Lighting and Sound Reinforcement in and around

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Gloustershire and Buckinghamshire etc...

Special FX Entertainment Services