Dj's United

SEDA meeting & AGM Sunday 13th March 2005

Hi Chris,

Yes we are all swinging on the same branch. One thing that pushing Seda has Raised is that it seems that the DJs here want Meetings they can get to.

What we as a collective need to do is find a way, Firstly we need to look at the Meetings that do take place between all the associtaions and let the DJs know. If there are a group of DJs in an area that is not covered in a reasonable distance by an association or club, that needs to be addressed so that we and or NADJ or the others could help them get set up and supported.

This is the best bit of the forum being so wide spread and usable, it open up great chances to help the community get what they want.

John Kidd

Crystal Sounds Disco

VICE S.E.D.A CHAIRMAN

A Member of the Musicians Union

A Member of the Federation of Small Businesses

John, there has been some debate about the role of an Association in relation to todays DJ. Watch this space! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

Here are a few of my thoughts regarding some past and current questions raised by DJU members on the subject of DJ organisations, and also a few of my own experiences from running the forum, you may find some of them useful, others you may believe to be the product of a bitter, twisted Administrator http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif , but you are welcome to use anything which you may feel to be of help!.

I found out a while ago on the forum, that you can't bribe people with novelties and freebies. For instance the forum competitions, nobody posts more often than they want to even when there is something like a £300 laser up for grabs!. If people have something to say then they will post, if people like something then they'll stick around and take part in it, but on their own terms, I believe the same would apply to organisations and I've seen a lot of negativity towards the NADJ for example just because they no longer offer incentives such as PLI, but I don't think that should be a consideration provided they are offering something of equal benefit.

I think the time has come to appreciate that it isn't solely the Free / discounted PLI which makes an organisation. Sure people want to get their monies worth and they also want to know what they are getting for their £45.00 / £60.00 but that can be made up with other things and not solely PLI.

DJ's will sign up to the M.U because they need PLI for venues, and it is the cheapest place around to get that level of cover, and I honestly feel that it's the best deal around for Union representation and benefits and PLI, but it doesn't mean that the DJ organisations can't compete in other ways where the MU fail.

Perhaps the time has come to ask the question, of DJ's, to see exactly (other than PLI) what they want from an organisation, and the representatives of these organsations are in the best place to be asking those questions there is plenty of market research here, and their existing members can voice their suggestions and potential new members can give their opinions on what would make them want to pay for such a membership  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif .

I can see at least one area where they may be going wrong, and no offence meant. Mainly there seems to be a lot of ideas behind the scenes but very little actually being done to implement them. I would say that the attitude of some within the NADJ for example is a little stagnant, and this can easily be conveyed to it's members, both existing and potential and without intention, since it's apparant to me, and i'm not even a member!. In any organisation or company, if the 'management' show a 'I can't be bothered attitude' then this is reflected in it's members.

There is a distinct lack of communication between the NADJ and it's members. Old fashioned paper newsletters were great.....in 1896. However today, they are expensive. Not only do you have to pay silly amounts of money on photocopying or printing but you also have the postage to consider, not to mention the time taken to author it. Suddenly that subs money is being eaten up, and other than a newsletter it is not being spent on anything to assist it's membership.

Email Newsletters and a secure members area on a website (like the MU) is the way to go. Okay you'll still have the odd 76 year old Alf Garnett and other DJ's who have never seen the internet and those examples will possibly still need the paper copy, but your costs will be reduced. I am sure that the majority of your members have access to the WWW at home, work, school, Uni and at least one working email address.

A website can convey other things. Information on difficult venues, a database of stolen equipment, a list of regional reps and a contact form to directly email them, a suggestion box for its members, minutes of previous meetings plus useful tips and advice from HSE information to what fuse is required to go into a particular lighting effect.

Okay so forums are already plentiful but Websites can also be turned into an E-zine (online magazine) or bloggers with the right software. and if you want to attract the next generation of DJ's, namely, internet savvy youngsters then perhaps this is where you need to be headed, you could easily create the equivalant of Pro-Mobile but online and exclusive to NADJ / SEDA members with the added advantage of it being constantly updatable anytime you wish. When Pro-Mobile comes out it is 'valid' for 2 months, but the industry changes far quicker than that these days and sometimes the information given one month can be out of date by the next. A dynamic E-zine on a website could carry the 'Newsflash' within 30 minutes, crucial information could be emailed to it's members using an opt-in system even sooner.

Okay this would require some effort and all of the 'management' pulling together, but it could work two fold, you could become as popular as you once were, whilst at the same time ridding the organisation of all of the dead wood. Why have I not done this myself?, well I'm only one person, with limited funds and time but you have the advantage of a committee, contacts and funding, all you need now is the enthusiasm!.

Involve your members and they'll feel part of something, however if you hold every one of your meetings 300 miles away, and don't keep them informed then they'll quickly feel left out, and wonder exactly what value they are getting for their money.

I am guessing that NADJ meetings are held in a particular location because it is convenient for the committee?. Well, that doesn't exactly show dedication on their part if they are not willing to travel 200 miles themselves to one meeting a year in another area, to make it more convenient for any members in those other areas. If they are not willing to travel, then replace them with people who are, or even get people from other areas onboard.

Since you have regional reps, then why are they not holding individual meetings in their local areas? thats what they are for, use them!. Mike mentioned that the NADJ no longer have many members in the Thames Valley Area, so why is everything appearing to be centred around that area? - you are a national organisation - surely it should be situated halfway between North and South? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif .

DJ's use the internet, this and other forums prove that. We average 50,000 hits every month with 30% of those being unique (Their first ever visit to DJU). But whilst the main NADJ website is down or lacking regular updated content then you are losing out, not only in giving vital membership information to existing members, but failing to recruit new ones.
Good topic.

I believe the interest of the member must be paramount in any organisation, affiliation or association.

What is offered as a benefit of membership will always be questioned by perspective members and today, the online 'forums' go a long way to 'meeting' the demand of the modern DJ (who has a modem!)

But before the wonders of the internet and DJ forums, Associations like SEDA and TVDJA 'bridged a gap' that served its members for a very long time, who were like minded individuals that 'demanded' the latest information on new products, and could actually see these products at regular member meetings as well as 'member presentation-nites', where the said member would demo his (or her) show, giving and receiving advice of the fellow members. Even the 'industry providers' were invited to attend meetings and could earn an Association Award for their 'product'.

When the membership was 'up', these associations were able to offer benefits that were well received.
All in all, the overall aim of the association was to professionalize it's members and promote the 'status' of the 'humble mobile Disc Jockey' as well as their 'DJ earnings'.

These associations, I believe, were non-profit making organisations. Funds generated by the membership went towards admin, venue hire for regular meetings, newsletters, etc.

Indeed, these associations have earned a tag of being a 'Jolly Boys' club for reasons already commented/mentioned above. Not thru lack of interest of third-party DJs but thru, I believe 'insular thinking'.

When the TVDJA took a radical step towards adopting a 'National agenda', yes, it changed its name but the overall 'step' was in my opinion, a little adventurous.

Whilst I believe there are a few well intended individuals who wish for the former association to expand and professionalize its membership, unfortunately, things haven't panned out. Therefore, the long standing and remaining members of the associations have decided that to exist, radical thinking is needed before the 'bubble pops'!

The 20th Century mobile DJ would have enjoyed the benefits of a 'member part-regulated' association, but what of the 21st Century mobile DJ?

What could an association offer to, say, an individual who already has M.U. / Music Guard PLI and P.A.T.s their equipment, who already has vehicle breakdown cover, regularly visits the local DJ shop for spares and purchases, works every weekend and has an accountant?

Add to that then the mobile DJ who has 'none of the above' but has regularly DJ'd 3 nights a week for over 15+ years.

Or the individual DJ who may have some or none of the above and wishes to remain individual and 'plods along' happily?

These 'examples' are typical of the individual DJ who has 'got by' without the need of belonging to a DJ association. Yet, in this type of 'example', we see 'individuals' join online forums where they exchange experience and knowledge, learn from one another, receive tips and (and then some) - totally free and 'un-boring'.

I respect Mike in his selfless task of trying to forge alliances with the industry and seeking acknowledgement of the new NADJ, but the horizon at the top of the poo-slope seems to get steeper and un-eventful, thus, look out below.

What the NADJ needs is most certainly membership but in return, the membership needs a benefit that reflects the market of today.

So far, a major part of this 'market' is dictated by the internet as an information resource, as well as being a medium for like minded to join 'my interest' forums (in our case, DJing). So a positive way forward would be for the association to represent itself online.

The Music Union offers brilliant benefits to members with PLI and legal cover yet hasn't grasped the whole nettle when it comes to offering equal representation to the DJ members…yet!
However, it is very professional, long established, quite slick online and learning.

The opportunity to forge alliances with such an organisation may still be available.

By embracing the benefits of the M.U. the NADJ should then be addressing the areas that the M.U. has yet to identify and serve its association members with a unique and all-round beneficial package.

I have to agree with a lot of what Chris has said.

I'm sure that existing members of the NAD know a good venue or two in their locale that they could get for 'nix' or major discount if the Association is to continue with 'member presentation nites' or informal get-togethers.
Being involved and made to feel a part of something goes a long way too.

If members of a young but free DJ forum can 'get-together' to host a little event in Chippenham, where people traveled from as far as Hull, I'm sure that the NADJ could rally support for regular, similtaneous events all over the place, once a month!  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif 

its very similar to the why should i join a trade union question that was always thrown at me when i used to be an organiser for a trade union, we always looked on ourselves as an insurance policy for your work place where although you might not need it every day at some point it could become very useful.

i would personally like to see benefits including:

debt recovery services

an industry standard contract with legal advice when any terms are broken

joint adverts between the associations in local media,internet sites,yellow pages ect promoting the use of pat tested pli holding discos.

arrange discounts with hotel chains for wedding fayres.

encourage holiday camps venues ect to list vacancies with the association and only use there members.

make promo material avaliable to all working dj's

07843106107 mobile

01752-296680 office

debt recovery services

an industry standard contract with legal advice when any terms are broken

joint adverts between the associations in local media,internet sites,yellow pages ect promoting the use of pat tested pli holding discos.

arrange discounts with hotel chains for wedding fayres.

encourage holiday camps venues ect to list vacancies with the association and only use there members.

make promo material avaliable to all working dj's

Good feedback, thanks.

We already have the SEDA contract NCR pads which some of us use.

And several of our DJs get promos from the likes of Poarazzi, Eurosolution, etc... Neil Brown did a presentation on how to achieve this a year ago, but this is very difficult as mobile DJs are not seen as 'promoters' of music generally.

QUOTE (brianmole @ Mar 16 2005, 12:25 PM)
This is why I believe it is important for organisations such as SEDA to embrace the internet and work closely with forums like this one, where news, opinions and suggestions can be relayed extremely quickly.

Exactly! The seda website is *AHEM* terrible at this time, this is one thing I will be changing with the help of all.

SEDA has a lot of good news to convey, and a lot to learn. I personally see co-operation between other related organisations as key to each ones' success.

I also feel that some DJs have not embraced the internet, and SEDA meetings help them also to 'learn & improve'

Well, as John, or if I may call him this..."The new Kidd on the block" seems to be really getting to like what he's seeing here on DJs United, perhaps SEDA could have a "SEDA news" section here on DJU.

A SEDA member logging into DJU would see all the usual features that all DJU members see, PLUS, SEDA members would see a SEDA news section.

A non-SEDA DJU member, would just see their usual forum views and posts.

SEDA members would, of course, also be able to read, search, post and reply to all DJU topics, just like the rest of our community.

As the largest independent UK DJ forum for mobile DJ's, DJs United would be the perfect platform.

This wouldnt help all SEDA members, eg the ones without internet access, but it would mean that SEDA could offer members the option of paper newsletter, or DJU forum viewing of the newsletter. Just like the phone, gas and electric companies offer paperless billing for those with email capabilities. This would cut the printing and posting overheads, which are savings which could be passed onto the members who opt for E-SEDA via DJU.

Well, as John, or if I may call him this..."The new Kidd on the block" seems to be really getting to like what he's seeing here on DJs United, perhaps SEDA could have a "SEDA news" section here on DJU.

A SEDA member logging into DJU would see all the usual features that all DJU members see, PLUS, SEDA members would see a SEDA news section.

A non-SEDA DJU member, would just see their usual forum views and posts.

SEDA members would, of course, also be able to read, search, post and reply to all DJU topics, just like the rest of our community.

As the largest independent UK DJ forum for mobile DJ's, DJs United would be the perfect platform.

This wouldnt help all SEDA members, eg the ones without internet access, but it would mean that SEDA could offer members the option of paper newsletter, or DJU forum viewing of the newsletter. Just like the phone, gas and electric companies offer paperless billing for those with email capabilities. This would cut the printing and posting overheads, which are savings which could be passed onto the members who opt for E-SEDA via DJU.

This is what I was about to suggest! Garys esp module is working http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/laugh.gif

Well, can this be done? Jonh, whadda ya rekon?

In the name of mobile Dj'ing, this would be a good thing.

Gets my vote!

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

I'm all for giving Pointo n more work http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Hi All

I Would like to thank you all for these great replies, The Essay from chris and Discodirect (sorry don't know your name), are very useful and i will be consuming them in more details later.

As far as "new Kid on the block" i have been around for a while, just very quitely

John Kidd

Crystal Sounds Disco

VICE S.E.D.A CHAIRMAN

A Member of the Musicians Union

A Member of the Federation of Small Businesses