Dj's United

chaos 2002 / 2 automoon

just got some of these brand new. The stepper motors in both sound rough and the gobos can stop half way been two different patterns. They seem to be jerky. Is this usual for these units- both are the same.

im not having much luck with NJD - the build quality seems cr@p

DISCO INFERNO NI

fraid i am not gonna be much help.... stepper motors are desigined to take steps at a time so they always know where they are, and hence which gobo/colour etc.

I run two NJD datamooons and have no problems or noise from any of the motors in them.

Not even sure you can grease anything as they seem to be "sealed" units.

Did notice on the NJD website they now have a selection of spares prices (may have been there before....) and repairs.

Have a look to see how much is

I dont think the chaos has steppers. I noticed a friend of mines were very noisy too. Interestingly enough, the older (made in UK) ones were ok.

The first lot of Indian made Datamoons suffered from weak welding to a board inside and the transformers kept going. Enough said!!

Mind you, at the same time, the "Trade" price came down from £170+ each to £99!

thanks guys

i had a look inside and the stepper motors are a cheaper looking alternative than the ones in the datamoon (or my old cheapo Skytec light for that matter)

I cant complain is suppose as they were at the right price. The steppers sound very jumpy in both units which are brand new - so they must just be poorer quality units

The overall effect is still bright and great for filling a room with light. I just though the gobos should display more accurately that they are

DISCO INFERNO NI

The split gobo's thing is (UNFORTUNATELY, and very annoyingly) normal for some lighting - the only way around it, is to program your own routines using a DMX controller.

I think the idea behind split gobos is that with some of ye olde theatrical smoke/haze in the air, you get a split colour beam produced by the unit shining half a red star, and half a green triangle (for example)

The downside is, that when you're using them without smoke or haze, which is more and more the case nowadays, the effect you get projected onto a wall or floor, simply looks like the gobo wheel either jammed or overshot - which is an "effect" which some old MAD/EVL lighting I used to own used to do - unintentionally.

Split gobos? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbdown.gif

OR - split gobos http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/cool.gif

I like them but we tend to use a lot of smoke at our gigs as they're generally underground dance events and the split colours is a bonus. Admittedly we use a lighting desk so its all under our control but i'd be upset without the option.

BTW Gary - Happydommo and Dave Fired say hi ;)

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

hi guys - yes it seems Normal - Split Gobos (sounds like someting that requires a trip to casualty http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif )

I emailed NJD tech support and got this reply:

"All version of Chaos stop their gobos at random. They are not intended to line up witha anything. They are not stepper motors, but synchronous motors with gearboxes, hence the higher noise that stepper motors.

"

I guess Im happy enough with the lights as they do product a lot of light for the price

DISCO INFERNO NI

The chaos is a non-intelligent light and uses synchronous AC motors not steppers. They are by nature jerky and will sound a little rough since they have a steel gearbox built in. They have no facility for stopping accurately dead-on the gobo. If you need more accuracy, use a Datamoon!!