Dj's United

I periodally renew all my audio leads, so today I put my order in for my Neutrik plugs and connectors etc, the total was £80. Do you renew your leads, or buy when needed, or just use the leads that come with your units (the cheap red and white phono leads ?)

BTW £80 included a couple of 1m XLR leads.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

What did you get for £80 though?

I've just got a very good deal from Van Damme on some speaker lead components, panel mounts and XLR bits and pieces

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

£80 got me

3 x 90 degree XLR plugs (Neutirks)

6 x 90 degree Jack Plugs (Neutriks)

3 x HD Phono plug (Red)

3 x HD Phono plug (White)

4 x 90 degree Jack Plugs (Plastic)

10 x IEC plugs

1 x RCD Plug

5 x 2m XLR to XLR leads

Just need to make them all up now.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I use the Pro series from Horizon. These leads are fairly expensive when compared to some brands, but doing some of the PA work I do, you need good, reliable leads. I bet I own over 100 XLR-XLR leads. I have two multi-cores, one being a Van Damme and the other a Klotz. Both of these are good.

I wonder how long I coud reach if I put all my leads, regardles of type, end to end!!

I don't replace leads or interconnectors on a regular basis. As my amp, mixer and cd's are all flightcased there is no need to plug/unplug.

All the power cables are regularly inspected in addition to the anual PAT test. Any that look suspect are changed.

I have approximately 3x the number of leads I actually need, so always have spares!

As I build my own leads anyway I have yet to have a failure. (oops that is tempting fate!!) Care in building them, eg using good quality connectors, using correct size heatshrink and good solder joints is the key and care in use.

Cheezy

Nightsounds

I think it's hard to beat Neutrik connectors on Van Damme cable. Check out Canford Audio's specials and end of reel offers. They're doing 4x2.5mm cable for 75p/m at the moment and 4x4mm for just over a quid/metre.

For most applications you should be using 2.5mm minimum and if you're running big subs (1000w or more) then 4mm should be better.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

A month or so ago i decided to do some shopping at CPC.co.uk

Bought 100m of mic cable, loads of XLR plugs and sockets and a few 5-pin XLRs as well .. cost around £50 in total! The XLRs were only the budget ones that were 39p each if you bought more than 10!

Anyway, was well worth the money, have made all my mic/signal and DMX cables from these bits and peices. Made about 15-20 cables in all including loads of DMX (both 3-pin, 5-pin and combinations of the two) and cables for mics and for connecting the mixer to the amps. So saved a fortune in buying pre-made cables and i can make custom leads for any purpose... in fact i carry my soldering iron etc. with me just incase!!!

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263