Dj's United

PLI Renewal Time what do i do?

Hi All.

I have got my PLI from Musicguard for the past 4 Years and it is up to be renewed now. So if i need to this is my time to change. I have 2 Million PLI Cover at a Cost of £99.00 for a Year. Or I could change to MU for 227.00 a year for 10m PLI.

I have read around and looked and many websites and am baffled by it all and dont inderstand which is the best way to do.

Is the MU the best way to go?

Is there an Application form for DJ or just Musicians?

Please Help

Cheers

Confused from Kent

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/fear.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/533.gif

John Kidd

Crystal Sounds Disco

VICE S.E.D.A CHAIRMAN

A Member of the Musicians Union

A Member of the Federation of Small Businesses

Hi John

I think MU is the best way to go, there is no specific DJ application. And of course there are all the additional benefits that belonging to a union brings.

There is also a small discount for paying by direct debit.

And you get to lend your support to push through dj issues too http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Vinnie

Paul Forsyth

The DJ formally known as Vinnie

Hi John

Quite a few of us have gone the MU route.

I think that joining them not only has the benefit of cheaper PLI but I'm sure that fairly soon DJ issues will come more to the front of their interest, particularly if more and more DJ's join up.

Plus there are loads of other benefits like legal assistance, leagal advice, ready made contracts etc.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

I was looking at joining the MU as my cover runs out with Music Guard in May. I have a couple of question which has probably been covered on here many times but here goes:

1. Does the MU insure my equipment and vehicle when out on gigs or would I still have to pay an annual fee to Music Guard for this?

2. I already get 1 million PLI through MG, what are the benefits for paying out another annual fee to the MU apart from getting 10 Million PLI?

Sorry for the questions I’m still trying to get my head around all the insurance covers

Many Thanks

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

Hi,

I'll try and answer your questions.

1. Does the MU insure my equipment and vehicle when out on gigs or would I still have to pay an annual fee to Music Guard for this?

No, you don't automatically get insurance cover for your equipment with the MU, although they do offer 15% discount on insurance policies from MG when you are a M.U member http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif . This can be found Here (You need a membership number to use the service)

By Vehicle cover do you mean actual Motor Insurance, or Goods in Transit cover*?. If it's vehicle insurance (Motor Insurance) then I don't believe that MG offer that as part of their policies, although they do cover your goods whilst in transit. The MU can also offer advice and contacts for Vehicle insurance for entertainers, although I haven't used this facility and so cannot comment on how effective or competitive it is.

2. I already get 1 million PLI through MG, what are the benefits for paying out another annual fee to the MU apart from getting 10 Million PLI?

£1m cover may be enough for most council venues, however an increasing number of Venues, especially larger, national Hotel chains are demanding that entertainers have a minimum of £3m or even £5m liability cover. So in time, your £1m cover may not be enough to enable you to work in some venues. Increased cover from MG is very expensive compared to the MU rates.

Also remember that the M.U are more than just an insurance broker http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif . You get the usual union benefits such as legal advice, help to chase up clients who may owe you money, advice on writing contracts, Career Advice plus the backing from what is a large national union.

The full range of benefits can be found in This Article

I don't know how old you are, but if you are a student, Under 21 or under 25 and on the new deal scheme then cover is offered to you at a price of only £50!.

*As with any policy arranged with any broker it is important to read the small print and any terms. For example your equipment may not be covered against theft from a vehicle if the equipment is visible, left overnight or the vehicle is left unlocked.

Hi, The MU cover does not cover and Equipment Insureance or Van, it is purely PLI cover, As for the second question this is also my main question.

John Kidd

Crystal Sounds Disco

VICE S.E.D.A CHAIRMAN

Thanks Chris for the reply. I am only a whipper snapper at the age of 29 so I would have to pay the full price http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/fear.gif

So what im looking at then is, I will have to pay an annual fee to the MU for the 10m PLI and other benefits, and an annual fee to MG for my equipment insurance and vehicle cover which includes 1m PLI which im paying for at the moment. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

Edited by FrankieJ

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

Let's see if I can help here, (no I'm not an MU rep).

Many councils now require PLI cover at £5 Million (or my local ones do) and also some hotel chains now seek the same level of PLI cover, so this is one benefit.

As for the others, should you ever get in a head to head with a large corporation, the backing of a union (and their funds and expertise) is a huge benefit. These guys realise they are not dealing with "local independant dj" but with a recognised trade union that probably has more legal experience on dj matters than their own legal team and more importantly has the financial resorces to see things through.

The above is obviously a worst case scenario, but before you got there the MU offers contractual advice, and draft contracts, health and safety advice, compliancy with the DDA, (Disability Discrimination Act) and so on and so forth.

They also have the money and membership to lobby both industry and government on our behalf and for our benefit.

There are 3 levels of membership

1 - Student / concessionary = cheque or credit card £50 per year.

or

£48 per year

£12 per quarter

or £4 per month by discounted Direct Debit.

2 - Standard (earnigs under £15K in last 12 months) =cheque or credit card £116 per year.

or

£110 per year

£27.50 per quarter

or £9.16 per month by discounted Direct Debit

3 - Premium (earnings over £15k in last 12 months) = cheque or credit card £227 per year.

or

£220 per year

£55.00 per quarter

or £18.33 per month by discounted Direct Debit

For between £10 & £20 per month, it's a great bargain, this comes from someone that has had the benefit of a union in his corner in the past, and ended up with a far better deal for it.

One way of looking at it also is as an insurance premium.

Hope this answers some questions.

Vinnie

PS - Have a look around their site - www.musiciansunion.org.uk

Edited by Vinnie

Paul Forsyth

The DJ formally known as Vinnie

Just sent off my MU application for Premium cover.

Thanks to you all for the advise, at £20 a month it is worth a try and see. Plus it is another payment for my accountant to fight over!

Cheers

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thanks.gif

John Kidd

Crystal Sounds Disco

VICE S.E.D.A CHAIRMAN

I would like to congratulate John for considering the advantages of joining the MU.

In numbers, the MU DJ members will be able to motion requests to the MU body as a whole, however, the 'motion submitted' requires at least 5 members, regionally.

Recently, DJU / MU members have (via letter) submitted a bullit-point motion to the MU to request 'better representation' of its DJ membership.

Also, issues over the use of digital media has been hi-lighted in the motion, but essentially, representation of DJs is top of the list. Other key-points and requests can come once the MU DJ members have a 'voice' in the ranks.

Like any organisation, in numbers, good / great things can be achieved.

The MU is the biggest and longest established union (musicians wise) to use as a voice to help legislate DJ related issus such as already mentioned.

I see no problem of greater benefits and discounts in the future from the tried and tested MU given numbers.

I'm not an MU rep but I would suggest encouraging as many DJs to join the MU for these and future benefits to be considered!

Well my Letter is Back and i am now a Member. Sorted.

Thanks for all the Advise.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thanks.gif

John Kidd

Crystal Sounds Disco

VICE S.E.D.A CHAIRMAN

OK, I would also have to get the premuim package (over £15k p.a.), (£227) I already have my kit insured, (£230) and commercial vehicle insurance, (£500) and £5m PLI,(£100) If I joined would I be able to state I have £15m PLI (over the two policies) ?

If so it may be worth it in the long run.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I'm not an expert but I think that it's a very bad idea to have

two policies covering tjhe same risk from different insurers.

Each will withhold payment arguing that the

other should meet the claim with you left in the middle - or

(even worse) they could regard it as attempted fraud to claim

on multiple policies - quite a few have small print preventing

this.

All the best,

Chris.

Thats what I thought, although the MU's £10m is I think 2 x £5m policies.

BTW I have stuck with one policy

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Have taken your advice guys and joined the MU quite proud to be a part of it.

good to put on letter headings...website etc.

I SAY! SPIFFING SOUNDS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to say that after reading all the advice here, and trawling I too have joined the MU.....

I was considering EandL until i read all about 1.5 Million not being enough for some venues....

Also insuring the equipment after joining the MU seems to be a bargain... so i dont think I could have done any better.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

(just add, for the first time ever I am now completely PAT tested, with certificates, almost ready to start selling myself "professionally" again)

With two insurances you would nominate one in a claim and state you have insurance with another. The claim is paid by your nominated but behind the scenes the two will agree an interpayment between themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I should have read this before. I renewed my insurance today. Anyways im with musicguard for my PLI and equipment Insurance. Now ive just renewed it this year. Ive never had to claim before.

I have heard though wether this is true or not. that they dont replace the actual gear. itself theyre supposed to replace it with a cheaper equivalant am i right?

Ive just got £5000 of the gear that i use insured. now its cost me £179.96 with the 1 million PLI as standard

Have i made the wrong decision?

Edited by DJTwinspin

(DJ John)

Q) Are the venues in Hull requesting PLI for over £1,000,000?

If not - sounds ok.

But if they are requesting more - time to consider a different PLI.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif