Dj's United

how to dj off cd

hello. i would like to dj off cd (gothic, industrial, E.B.M, metal)

i would like to learn the basics, this and that before approaching

my local gothic nightclub manager/resident dj

i KNOW nothing about dj'ing, except - large cd collection, speakers (sound system) or whatever?!?!

anyways, how is a sound system set up?, you can't beat mix or anything like

that on gothic cd's, sooo how do you mix?, etc, etc.

THANX!!! (if anybody would like 2 reply)

i am very NEW on this, and i go clubbing regularly.....hmn!!!!

anyways, at least i have a LARGE cd collection

Guest Chris Dawson

If you are planning on djing in a club then you wont actually need all the setup that a mobile dj has as the club will provide the sound system and lighting etc. sometimes you may be required to supply your own decks but this isnt a problem as it usualy just means simply plugging in the white and red wires into there amp (i forget there names now.. doh).

As for mixing, mobile djs usualy dont beatmatch like a club dj would and this is probably the best way for you to mix if you can beatmatch that style of music. you just cue the track in your headphones at a point where you think is best and then ... actually im talking crap lol... i dont know, as a mobile dj http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif... i could have a good stab at how its done but i might be completly wrong so i wont bother trying lol...

Usualy when i want to mix 2 tracks that are different speeds or styles like house into fast passed hard house its not a good idea to beat match so i wait for a break in the music where thers no beat and then bring in the second track with no bass and then when it gets upto the break at the end of a 4/8/16 bar section i bring in the bass and move the cross fader over to cut out the track still in its section with no beat... this usualy sounds decent if you get it right...

hope that makes sence anyway!

Good luck

Guest Chris Dawson

ooops... forgot to talk about the system...

if you want to dj off cd ,which would be best for non beat matching mixing because you will need to set cues and stuff, then you need a pair of CD decks... i dont know much about these but i suggest getting a pair of seperate cd players instead of the twin ones mobiles usualy use. something like the pioneer CDJ-500s (bout £190 each i think... or atleast other cd decks do...)

then you need a mixer which i recommend the behringer VMX300... just because i own it and its a great 3 channel mixer and i dont really know any better (costs around £150)

all that connects together with the red and white cables (i still cant remember the name) and then you will need an amp and some speakers... you can use a plain old hifi for this really... just make sure it has the red and white inputs on the back of it!

it all connects together and works nice and there u go.. practice and get loads of cds (or vinyls depending on what u want) and then maybe ull get ur gig!