Dj's United

If only it had...

Its happened to us all, hasnt it? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/huh.gif

We've decided that we need a new bit of kit, we do a little research, a bit of surfing around for reviews and info, narrowed it down to a shortlist, visited a couple of disco shops (fewer every year, regretably).

Ultimately we get down to buying "Model A" but wishing it had "that" feature or button which "model B" had.

Which pieces of DJ equipment, sound or lighting, have you shortlisted and bought, wishing that it just had a feature from some other item on your short-list.

Maybe it was a lighting controller that did the most patterns/sequences, but didn't have a dimmer...or an amplifier that was a great bargain, but didn't have that sub-sonic filter, that speaker that didn't have "just" the right crossover inside... What items have you really been "torn" between, which one won, and what won it for you in the end, despite the missing feature?

Powered speakers that did bot have a built in mxer, so that I still need a small mixer to plug in my microphone.

Warrior speakers that do not sit on stands as thier top hats are at the rear, need bigger stands for them.

Trussing that is only 23mm thick, not the 50mm thick ones.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

A number of amps without binding posts.... just got another one today, costing me a fortune in NL4FX's when they're permanently in a rack!

DMX lighting that has great features but the reverse pan option doesn't work when in DMX mode necessitating setting up 2 channels for the opposite lights and double the programming/copying.

My biggest complaint is that speaker manufacturers generally don't provide enough data about their products. '40hz - 20khz' is NOT good enough!!! We need frequency response plots and details on f3, f6 and f10 points to properly evaluate a product. They do it for microphones, why not speakers, especially as they're in the business of sound 'reinforcement'. Port tuning for reflex bins is good too, so that people can set a safe hi-pass filter. That's partly why i built my own, as i knew exactly where they get lumpy, and where they start to roll off. *Grrrrrr*

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Oh, and manufacturers should use alternative power connectors than the IEC6 (kettle lead). Neutrik do an excellent Powercon connector like the speakon plugs but with pegs in different places so you can't mix them up. They twist lock just like the speakons.

Just had a VERY inaccessible IEC6 pull out whilst doing some maintenance on an amp rack and had to remove loads to re-fit it. Imagine if that was on a gig....

Things like that are deal winners for me http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

think a spinmaster 1 must be my most disappointing.

My first "flash" light that turned out not to be a full barrel..........

oh welll next time.