Dj's United

DAP soundmate 600 vs HK lucas

Hi i started DJing about a year ago and used a 600watt dap soundmate active system...tell u what for the money they are fantastic! The sound consists of 300watt sub and 2x 150watt satalites mid / high. The people who sold it to mme reckon they are an exact copy of the HK lucas 600watt. Because the director of HK started his own company and called it DAP. He has just copied the HK gear and has done a great job by the sound of the kit. Has anybody used DAP and what do you think? I also have pair of SRM450 that i use on bigger gigs, they can be hooked up to the dap sub also Spoilt for choice now!!

HK have no directors that have left. It is (and always has been) a family run business and DAP are definatley nothing at all to do with HK.

I think someone has the RCF/Mackie story slightly mixed up here, as that is what happened relatively recently in that domain.

DAP have some nice products which rightly or wrongly are based on others R&D, however, some of their stuff has proved to be a bit of a bug bear repair wise. This could be teething problems and will probably be ironed out. I think their clever rip off of the DAS logo is a deliberate ploy. And DAS produce a far better product so I am surprised there has not been any contoversy (As I know of...).

If it works for you.....use it!

Hi thanks for the imfo, think i was kidded when i purchased them...thats what the shop told me!! Anyway they sound really good no probs yet. Using my Mackie SRM450's tonight for the first time so here goes the trial

Cheers

Jeff

• 4 months later...

I agree. DAP is actually a branding label of a Dutch distributor called Highlite International BV. They also supply Showtec lighting equipment. Their products are mostly made in China/Hong Kong by such manufacturers as Acme, Milanolite, Guangzhou Windforce, Pearl River, Geni etc and many items come very close, visually, to other established manufacturer's products.

My personal view (having repaired both DAP and HK many times) is that the DAP is excellent value for money but don't expect their HK lookalikes to outlast or outperform the equivalent German-made HK product. (which to be fair, is alot more expensive!!)