Dj's United

Anyone had any experience with their stuff ? they appear to be very much like the HK Audio stuff but are half the price.

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

I've got a pair of the K112 moulded cabs which i use as monitors. They're a bit fizzy in the tops but you can calm them with EQ. Need a bit of boost in the bottom to make the bass come out but don't try to play them too low with too much power or you'll blow them. I hi-pass mine at around 60hz.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

DAP look well made but sound muffled and harsh.

I went from a pair of Behringer B1520 which sounded pretty nice. But what attracted me to the DAP AX15 was the cabs were made of very durable plywood instead of MDF that the Behringer B1520 are made of.

So I went to Terralec and listened to some DAP AX15's in the demo room, and they sounded ok and thought that they didn't sound fantastic because of the crappy omnitronic amps he was using.

So stupidlly bought them and when I tested them out when I got home I was very dissapointed that they sounded much worse than the Behringers.

So luckerly I still had the Behringers and did a side by side test;with one Behringer on the left channel, and one DAP AX15 on the right channel.

DAP sounded very harsh and muffled compaired to Behringers which sounded clear and clean sounding. Was using QSC RMX2450 to test them with. DAP X15 are rated 300w rms and Behringer B1520 are rated 260w rms.

So I luckerly just managed to sell the DAP AX15's for £300 http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/sad.gif , having paid £400 for them[but the shop wouldn't take them back, even the day I bought them]. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/1106.gif

So my conclusion is DAP speakers appear to look good but the sound is appaling.

The shop should have taken them back under the 14 day money back guarentee I would have thought

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

DAP Audio

They wont sell to the general public you have to go through one of their dealers.

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

Started a small thread on dap audio, as i had a set of dap soundmate 600w (2 mids/hi and a sub) Great sound for smaller venues up to about 100 people or so...never had one problem in about 25 gigs they are really cheap now and great buy for the money..hk lucas copies and not much diffrence in sound, but as ever, they are only as good as your experience...some hate them

However i had few people commenting on the quality of sound from only a small system.....got mackie srm450's now and mackie sub..much more powerful but sound quality not that much better to be honest at high vol

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/toot.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a pair of DAP K112 moulded cabinets for mid/top in an active system for just over a year. I have found them to be very good. Detailed, warm sound. Need occasional slight EQing depending on venue acoustics. They are very similar in appearance to the EV SX300 but at a fraction of the price.

Ever opened one up?

Take one look at the design of the amp board and you will understand why they are half the price of the HKs. And just take a look at the drivers.

Externally they look similar, believe me, inside they are totally different!

DAP are quite pants. I bought a Dap Mission amp and 2 mc-15 and mcb-15 speakers. When new the amp went thermal when only running about half tilt. It was sent back and replaced with a different make and model. The speakers were OK for the money. Wasn't expecting much for £400 for 4 cabs although one piezo was DOA on arrival. Changed both piezos for CTS replacements which helped.

Now I know a bit better I have done the following. The bass bins have been lined, rewired, had the filter removed, tuned and loaded with Beyma 15G40s at 700w RMS. They get 1250w each now and sound OK! Not sure if the chipboard cabs will hold up though. Tops have been lined, rewired, tuned and loaded with Eminence Delta Pro 15s and PSD2002 compression drivers with an eminence corssover. DAP reckons that the MC-15s have a sensitivity of 103db. Well I compared them side by side once I upgraded one and the eminence stuff was miles louder at the same input.

See their stuff here.

Highlite

Truth is, most of the time you get what you pay for.

Ive ran a DAP Audio Mission 1500 amp for about 4 years now and has never let me down. It has the highest wattage output into 8ohms of any 1500 watt amp ive seen. I think its outputting 560watt rms per channel at 8ohms which is great and the quality is good too.