Photo

Do you play New York New York as your last song

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: How often do you play New York New York as the last song of the night?

How often do you play New York New York as the last song of the night?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Eskie

Eskie

Never stops eating!

• Community Leader
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:03 AM

It often surprises me how many DJs play Frank Sinatra-New York New York as the last track of the night, and it made me wonder how many and how often this is played as the last track?
For me I will only play it as the last track if the client requests it. Not that it's a bad record, far from it, it's just that in my opinion it's so predictable to play this as the last song, and I'd rather not be that predictable.
Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.
www.facebook.com/awe.dj

#2 mick

mick

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:20 AM

Actually rarely play it as the very last track but usually at the end somewhere as it will get every one up. At my regular resident spot I play it because it is always asked for. I always finish there on No matter what (Boyzone) as it is the a special song for the restaurant owners and so it is a bit predictable. By own finishing track was always You,ll never walk alone but recently I have gone for something a bit different and stopped playing the same track. Recent tracks were: Katie Melua - Closest thing to Crazy, Tracks of My Tears Smokey Robinson, Sonny and Cher - I Got u Babe. I very rarely finish on fast or cheesey track - Mick

#3 Paul Forsyth

Paul Forsyth

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

There's no doubt about it - it works!

That said it is predictable, and therefore I try not to use it unless specifically asked for.

I try to work hard at slipping in unusual tracks (although popular) depending on the event and audience.

This weeks suprise appearance came from Slade - with their rock 'n' rollin' okey cokey biggrin.gif

Vinnie
Paul Forsyth
The DJ formally known as Vinnie

#4 C.S

C.S

forum annoyance

• Community Leader
  • 6,249 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

Think i have played it once in the middle of the evening in about 1983 and thats it. Dont understand why anyone would play it as a last song or why it would work so if someone would be kind enough to explain I would be grateful.
I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !
Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.
Keep pasties Cornish

#5 ryandio

ryandio

Regular Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:54 AM

I don't normally play it as a last song, if I play it it would be three or four from the end. I've never had it requested as one to end on, but I might depending on the night.

#6 brianmole

brianmole

DJU Veteran

• Community Leader
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:06 AM

It's one of those DJ cliches! One of my buddies does this tune at the end of every gig, and I used to years ago.

Now, I tend to do Fly me to the moon by Frank Sinatra - much more classy bigstar.gif or if I want a fun ending, I use Ellis Hall - Flip flop fly (from Chicken run)! laugh.gif

Otherwise depends on the customers requirement.

Posted Image

#7 tonyj

tonyj

from the top of the tower, across the fylde coast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

I'm with the majority, i never play it as the last song, but its normally on some time in the last half hour. It has never failed to get a good response round these parts
Member of The Musicians Union

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like hard work."

#8 scotty

scotty

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

I play it as the last part of my set, i'll tell the punters its the last tune but for an encore i'll end with blues brothers, sweet caroline or the beatles.
Scotty
KING OF DISCOS
We're what parties were invented for !
MySpace
'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

#9 Gary

Gary

Mobile DJ, Denon User & Exhibitor

• Community Leader
  • 8,894 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

NYNY is one of several tracks that I can play as a full 4 minute version, a 3 minute version, or a 2 minute version - it gets air'd maybe once every couple of months at most.

Some of what goes towards its popularity for an Ender, I think is that it covers the desires of several different types of people who may be on the dancefloor at the end of the evening: EG:

*) Its "pace" is such that it can be a slowy, suitable for couples to do the "turn around slowly with your eyes shut while holding onto your partner" dance

*) its pace also means that it can be danced to by the "stand in a line or circle with your arms over the shoulders of your neighbours in the line/circle, while kicking your legs up" mob too.

*) It can be sung along to easily.

*) Its got a definate FINALÉ FINISH feel to the end of the track...eg: "its up to you Neeeew Yoooooorrrrrk, NEEEEEEWWWWWW YOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRK !"

Posted Image

#10 RobbieD

RobbieD

"I Can Do It Anyway That You Want It"

• Community Leader
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:03 PM

I generally don't play it at the end unless it's asked for, although there has been the odd ocassion that I have decided to play it with a request (so voted "Sometimes").

But I've never played it earlier in the evening (other than as diner/cocktail/reception music). If I play it at all, it's one of the last one or two songs.
IPB Image

#11 Jason v G

Jason v G

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

I only play it if requested.
Tend to play my slowies towards the end, then something uptempo to give them a good memory of the night and then as people are leaving put on 'goodnight sweetheart goodnight' by the spaniels. They sort of get the hint then.
whistling.gif

#12 Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart

SoulDJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:53 PM

For me its only if requested.

Ellis Hall - Flip flop fly (from Chicken run
give the Big Joe Turner version a spin,
Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

[size=7NOV 7th 2006 - SOUTHEND UTD 1 MAN UTD 0
ARE YOU READY FOR FREDDY[/size]

#13 jackcu

jackcu

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

I've never played it at any point during a gig <runs>

I think it's because I was at too many parties in my 20's when it was ALWAYS the last song - I can't bring myself to play it at the end of the night because it's so predictable, and it's such a "last song" that I can't seem to fit it in anywhere else LOL.

Do I get booted out of the union?

Cheers,

Jack.

#14 FrankieJ

FrankieJ

Forum Legend

• Community Leader
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

I think its a good tune, but I rarely play it myself.

I did try "Time of my life" (Dirty Dancing Soundtrack) as the last song at my last wedding gig and Surprisingly went down very well. thumbup.gif
DJ Frankie Knuckles.

#15 DJ SPARKO

DJ SPARKO

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 708 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

if no specific request for any thing i play it as a default track although i agree it is predictable although i find elvis; the wonder of you works quiet well
still learning, still experiencing, still dj,ing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users