Dj's United

Do you play New York New York as your last song

How often do you play New York New York as the last song of the night?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have only played it once in the last year, and that was at the end of an 18th birthday party for a laugh.

All evening I'd been playing the likes of My Chemical Romance, Kasavian and the like so I announced that we were gonna finish with something a little different and played NYNY.

Really quite funny, as they got in the circle were all singing the wrong words and the vision was quite funny.

One kiddy came up at the end and said what a laugh they'd had with the last song.

Have to say it's a track I don't play unless requested, and I've not had it requested in the last year

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Paul for bringing a 2 year old thread out of the closet. I play it more now than I did 2 years ago. Purely because my target market is weddings and its more traditional at a wedding.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

I play it quite often, and it has been requested at my last three gigs (two weddings and a 70th birthday), I do not often play it as the last track though unless actually requested as such, Saturday it was the 3rd from last track then 'These Boots Were Made For Walking' and finally 'Never Forget' (Brides Choice). 70th Birthday it was requested halfway through the evening and was played soon after and the night of the £50 tip it was requested as the last track of the night, and that is when it was played (he who pays the piper(dj) and all that).

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Well done Paul for bringing a 2 year old thread out of the closet.

I figured that there's been 100s of new members since this was last aired smile icon - and whilst I have my duster out here's the sister topic on alternatives to NYNY

I play it sometimes ( on occasion it is requested as the last track ) and people instinctively get into a circle with ( often ) the bride and groom in the middle.

This may be because they've heard it at other weddings and done the same thing!

"Time Of My Life" is quite useful as are "Perfect Day" and "Daydream Believer".

Oh Dear..... I play it a lot at the end of gigs.

but usually after I have played the last song !!!!

Why.......because it ALWAYS gets a great reaction from everyone. It has never failed me. where as other songs sometimes have.

So why change something that always works is my opinion ( for what its worth)

Predictable.... yes..... but a lot of clients ( especially weddings ) appreciate it, the only time I have had it requested was for the end of an 18th Birthday party !!

I think a lot depends on what you do with it......i.e. get all the guests up ( including the granny who hasnt moved from the corner all night) and get them singing with the B&G in the middle....although more often than nit it happens automatically.

One song I really love to finish on is KLF - Last train to trancentral. But rarely get the chance to use it unfortunately.... anyone who has seen the Blue man group in Toronto, Las vegas or new york would know why.

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Well being a Liverpool fan for me it is usually Gerry and the Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone!

5 times, 5 times, 5 times, 5 times, 5 times European Champions!!!

Mr P (Chris)

Only play it if requested which amazingly is still quite often. Get quite bored playing it though.

If its a wedding I always finish with

Chapel Of Love - Elton John off the Four Weddings soundtrack and then...

We Go Together - Grease Soundtrack

Always works for me.

I have never played it, and up until fairly recently didn't even own a copy.

However, I think I might give it a try one day, just to see what all the fuss is about.

For a predictable ending I would prefer:

'You'll Never Walk Alone'

'Heigh-Ho Silver Lining'

'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'

Assuming I wasn't ending with a couple of slowies, which I usually don't.

• 8 months later...

I only play if it is requested

but up here Loch Lomond by Runrig is by far more popular

worst final sonq request was at a 40th last year they asked for .........

Agadoo - Black Lace :scared:

Shame on me i had it in my collection :huh:

Dancefloor was packed ...me i just looked on in disbelief :omg:

Happy Client with a party all singing agadoo going home :bouncy:

I had a request for Bohemian Rhapsody as the last song at a 21st.

The place went ballistic .......... and watching those teens & twenty-somethings leaving still singing away was amazing.

Luckily, it was a sports club with no near neighbours, so no complaints about the noise as they clambered into cabs outside. tongue out icon

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

I've recently over the past year started playing Monty Python - Always look on the bright side of life as a last song.

I dont know why i picked this song, but have found it works a treat.

For ages after the music is turned off you can hear people whistling it whilst walking around, and even the bar staff at the venues walking around singing it !

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

I've recently over the past year started playing Monty Python - Always look on the bright side of life as a last song.

I dont know why i picked this song, but have found it works a treat.

For ages after the music is turned off you can hear people whistling it whilst walking around, and even the bar staff at the venues walking around singing it !

played this once at a gig where a lot knew me

my name is brian ..... need i say more

apart from never played it again :rolleyes:

the best last song ive ever played was at a punk wedding.

dm's skinny jeans

pistols, dropkick murphys etc.

right laugh

guess what i played as last song

spongebob sqaure pants

the volume in the pub even beat kids parties!

so now that sticks if it a younger party... upto 30...

however no matter what event it is i always ask the client if they have a preference.

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

I tend to play Jimmy Ruffin's 'Farewell is a lonely sound' mainly because I love the song, and partly because I used to play it as my last song in the 70s and I like a bit of continuity...lol

I have been asked to play it quite a lot recently. If it isn't that its either Hi Ho Silver Lining or You'll Never Walk Alone which is quite nice at a wedding as everyone forms a circle around the bride andgroom.

At the end of the day if thats what the people want, play it!

I play it quite regularly after the slowies (if Ive played any) and get the person whose part it is in the middle and get everyone to form a circle around them.

There are loads you could play to finish but I prefer NYNY as I think its the most fitting finale. Then staright into bugs bunny with thats all folks lol

For a long time my end tune was Montgomery Gentry - All Night Long

I used if for a few reasons, It had a great drum ramp to go from a smooch to a full on tune and a long guitar intro to VO then a great party sounding new country tune about the party lasting all night long. Ended the night on a high..

Recently I have used NYNY as a and finaly track.. I had a few occasions where people would shout more but it was past my contracted time.. So what I sometimes do now is play the last tune with 4 mins to spare then say my good nights pause and say "Would you like one more". They shout yes cue NYNY then song ends if any one does ask for one more I can say you just had it lol... Saves on bad feeling that some people create when you are packing down....

Its a great tune and enjoyed by all age groups so if it fits play it...

Nik

Agreed

It's a dilemma - overplayed it may be - but it's a great song to finish with.

That's why it's so popular.

I have no problem playing it - its always got a great response and sometimes its the only dancing some peeps do all night.

Why worry about how often its played? or when it's played? - it does a great job - how many other songs we play get such a great response at the end of the night? :dan+ju:

Does it really matter if it is 'predictable' as long as the punters enjoy it? :joe:

Captain of the good ship 'Andromeda' - a bit of a wreck like meself but at least she will look better with time......

PS. 'Pugwash' rules!!!

Mobile DJ based on the Fylde coast and covering Lancashire & the north west,

playing 60's - present day chart music.

Country / Line Dance events catered for with the best in Modern Country music.

Can't say I do, maybe once or twice over the last 5 years, and only requested a handful of times

Now it's GOODBYE MR A

LOL

Music Entertainment covering London & within the M25 Areas

English & Asian Events catered for

www.skydj.co.uk