Dj's United

Do you play New York New York as your last song

How often do you play New York New York as the last song of the night?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It often surprises me how many DJs play Frank Sinatra-New York New York as the last track of the night, and it made me wonder how many and how often this is played as the last track?

For me I will only play it as the last track if the client requests it. Not that it's a bad record, far from it, it's just that in my opinion it's so predictable to play this as the last song, and I'd rather not be that predictable.

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually rarely play it as the very last track but usually at the end somewhere as it will get every one up. At my regular resident spot I play it because it is always asked for. I always finish there on No matter what (Boyzone) as it is the a special song for the restaurant owners and so it is a bit predictable. By own finishing track was always You,ll never walk alone but recently I have gone for something a bit different and stopped playing the same track. Recent tracks were: Katie Melua - Closest thing to Crazy, Tracks of My Tears Smokey Robinson, Sonny and Cher - I Got u Babe. I very rarely finish on fast or cheesey track - Mick

There's no doubt about it - it works!

That said it is predictable, and therefore I try not to use it unless specifically asked for.

I try to work hard at slipping in unusual tracks (although popular) depending on the event and audience.

This weeks suprise appearance came from Slade - with their rock 'n' rollin' okey cokey http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Vinnie

Paul Forsyth

The DJ formally known as Vinnie

Think i have played it once in the middle of the evening in about 1983 and thats it. Dont understand why anyone would play it as a last song or why it would work so if someone would be kind enough to explain I would be grateful.

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

I don't normally play it as a last song, if I play it it would be three or four from the end. I've never had it requested as one to end on, but I might depending on the night.

It's one of those DJ cliches! One of my buddies does this tune at the end of every gig, and I used to years ago.

Now, I tend to do Fly me to the moon by Frank Sinatra - much more classy http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/bigstar.gif or if I want a fun ending, I use Ellis Hall - Flip flop fly (from Chicken run)! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/laugh.gif

Otherwise depends on the customers requirement.

I'm with the majority, i never play it as the last song, but its normally on some time in the last half hour. It has never failed to get a good response round these parts

Member of The Musicians Union

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like hard work."

I play it as the last part of my set, i'll tell the punters its the last tune but for an encore i'll end with blues brothers, sweet caroline or the beatles.

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

NYNY is one of several tracks that I can play as a full 4 minute version, a 3 minute version, or a 2 minute version - it gets air'd maybe once every couple of months at most.

Some of what goes towards its popularity for an Ender, I think is that it covers the desires of several different types of people who may be on the dancefloor at the end of the evening: EG:

*) Its "pace" is such that it can be a slowy, suitable for couples to do the "turn around slowly with your eyes shut while holding onto your partner" dance

*) its pace also means that it can be danced to by the "stand in a line or circle with your arms over the shoulders of your neighbours in the line/circle, while kicking your legs up" mob too.

*) It can be sung along to easily.

*) Its got a definate FINALÉ FINISH feel to the end of the track...eg: "its up to you Neeeew Yoooooorrrrrk, NEEEEEEWWWWWW YOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRK !"

I generally don't play it at the end unless it's asked for, although there has been the odd ocassion that I have decided to play it with a request (so voted "Sometimes").

But I've never played it earlier in the evening (other than as diner/cocktail/reception music). If I play it at all, it's one of the last one or two songs.

I only play it if requested.

Tend to play my slowies towards the end, then something uptempo to give them a good memory of the night and then as people are leaving put on 'goodnight sweetheart goodnight' by the spaniels. They sort of get the hint then.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/whistling.gif

For me its only if requested.

Ellis Hall - Flip flop fly (from Chicken run
give the Big Joe Turner version a spin,

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

I've never played it at any point during a gig

I think it's because I was at too many parties in my 20's when it was ALWAYS the last song - I can't bring myself to play it at the end of the night because it's so predictable, and it's such a "last song" that I can't seem to fit it in anywhere else LOL.

Do I get booted out of the union?

Cheers,

Jack.

I think its a good tune, but I rarely play it myself.

I did try "Time of my life" (Dirty Dancing Soundtrack) as the last song at my last wedding gig and Surprisingly went down very well. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbup.gif

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

if no specific request for any thing i play it as a default track although i agree it is predictable although i find elvis; the wonder of you works quiet well

still learning, still experiencing, still dj,ing

Can't say I've heard it !

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

QUOTE (ADS Entertainments @ Jun 15 2005, 05:51 PM)
Can't say I've heard it !

Put your teeth back in and try saying it again! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/stupid.gif

Great tune. Most people when drunk like a sing alone at the end. Everyone seems to know New York New york.. Its either that or American pie. Depends on the age group for me.

Ste

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

if its a slowy they want i normally play brian adams everything i do(extended version) or david gray be mine or to finish on a quickie jackie wilson higher and higher or david gravy babylon

DJ FOGGY

PROFESSIONAL DJ+KJ+SOLO VOCALIST

WEDDING SINGER+COVERED UP DUO

TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH PIPER

S.I.A LICENCED DOOR SUPERVISOR

COVERING NORTH WEST AND UK

WEB SITE=www.makemyday2012.co.uk

E-MAIL: djfpromos2@yahoo.co.uk

MOBILE: 07591 755 743

PLI: YES

PAT TESTED: YES

MU MEMBER 490895

CRB CLEARED 09th Feb 2011

USUALLY - But only for the over 40's

Why don't we start making hellium filled bubble wrap?<P> It would help keep postage costs down.

It gets an airing sometimes.

Some of the gigs I've done for 18th/21st recently, by midnight (the end time) nearly all the guest have gone by 11pm to a night club just up the road!

Cheezy

• 2 years later...

I like to give my clients the choice of last song - some do pick NY,NY.

There is another side to this as well, which was highlighted whilst I was packing up a few weeks ago:

'You didn't play New York'

'No-one asked for it'

'Didn't think we'd have to - thought you'd play it automatically'

Over the course of 20 mins I had this conversation with several guests who all assumed it would've been played.

So play it = predictable

Don't play it = why didn't you?

not played it yet would do if it was requested,similar to paul saturday was the first time we have had it requested,about 10 minutes after we started packing up :shrug:

if no specific request for any thing i play it as a default track although i agree it is predictable although i find elvis; the wonder of you works quiet well

Guilty, but give me alternatives and I'll try um. Good to know some of you know your swing, big Joe every time for me when i'm flip flopping and flying.

Top three slow numbers are? :dan:

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

I tend to only play it if I am doing a "party" night - By that I mean a corporate do, christmas party, possibly a birthday - but certainly not a wedding.

At weddings I always play the B&Gs first dance again, inviting everyone to join them finish as they started and they normally always love this idea.... Then I play Let There Be Love as the last song by Nat King Cole (normally quietly after midnight) coz it always stops the 1 more brigade AND everyone ends up singing or huming it on the way home......