Dj's United

I'm looking to get my self so how di i go about it?

Do i need some one to do it for me or can i buy the spacce and do it on me computer and put it up??

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/stupid.gif

Rule it...Don't let it rule you

First of all you'll need to register a domain name which is suitable for the type of business which you are in. The cheapest for domain names at the moment is 1 & 1 Internet. A .co.uk from them will only cost you about £1.99 a year (Min 2 years). I suggest that you use the name of your disco as the domain.

There are a couple of people on the forum who are able to build you a website, and their fees will vary depending on their experience and how many pages your site will need and the features you would like.

Website designers are not allowed to openly tout for business on this forum, but if you would like them to send you an email or PM with a quotation, then make post that you would like a quote for a website desgn, and anybody who is interested in building one for you can contact you, and you can take it from there.

Building your own is certainly the cheapest option, however you need to ensure that the results are not cheap looking, otherwise you may put off potential clients. However some people believe that some web presence is better than no web presence, it's just a matter of making the end result professional and well laid out. When you build your website make sure that it's east to navigate, use a spellchecker and avoid the use of shorthand or text speak http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif . Try and avoid too much technical jargon, these are clients and not other DJ's who will be reading it, so sell your business to them, not the gear that you use.

Have a look at the free web builder software thread which i've just posted which offers easy to use templates and point and click software which is free to use and doesn't require any html knowledge to build your own site. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif .

So if you decide to build your own site you'll need

1. Website building software (See my other thread)

2. A Domain Name

3. Webhosting (Link:- Purple Cloud £10 - £20 a year)

• 4 months later...

If you need a webhoster take a look at Powweb. I have tried other hosts but these have been best in my experience

www.powweb.com

They are very cheap $7.77 a month, they are reliable, have professional support, been going for years (I've been on them for about 5 yrs) and they have a one package for all policy so you are automatically upgraded to the latest bandwidth, webspace limits when they up the limits for new users.

There are some free hosters expecially for business users but they tend to add pops ups to your site so it doesn't look very professional and annoys visits. Worth paying IMO.

Hi

make sure you find a host that guarantees the success of your site. Ask them for written referrals from actual customers that are successful with their online endeavours.

If you want me to put a quote together for you, feel free to drop me an e-mail from the contact page of www.bigmix.co.uk

I don't want to put you off, but don't think just because you've got a web host, an html editor etc that you end result will be visited by anyone.

If your site isn't on the first couple of pages of search engine results, it might as well not be there at all.

It's not exactly a science, but there's a strategy involved.

Content - Traffic - presell - Monitise.

Until you've got the first three almost perfect, you won't make any money.

My own site isn't the most wizzy site you've ever seen in your life, but it offers my customers exactly what they're looking for, and that's why a good deal of my work comes directly from the site.

It's go no flash, not whizzy whirly animations, but it's got lots of contents that is updated often, it gets a nice lot of traffic, it presells by letting the customer know they're dealing with someone they can trust, and so the monitising happens by itself.

It's hard work, so don't think you can just put a page or two up and that's the end of the job.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.