Dj's United

Geni Spinmaster IIIs

As an addendum regarding the fragility of the barrel's mirrors, I recently found that PLASTIC replacement mirrors, originally designed for broken car wing mirrors ( I found a 8"X5" blister pack @ £4.99) can be purchased from motor factors.

just take out the cracked or broken glass elements, they will have to be stanley knifed away from their neighbours and prised from under the rubber "gears" that are the end pieces of the barrel. cut the plastic mirror to the same size using a stanley and straight edge (carefully!!) :ads: and insert them under the rubber gears. a small dab of contact adhesive applied with a cocktail stick to the back holds them tight under the rubber. no need to glue them to their "neighbours". I cut mine slightly overlength, so they did not move at all when placed under the rubber edging "gears".

There you are, another set of lights back on the road at minimal cost.

Although I have no scanners, I would think that these plastic mirrors would be OK for the larger mirror surfaces on these effects, too. Not sure if I would use them on a reflector "dish" - I'm thinking Datamoon/Twister here - as the heat generated by a bulb in close proximity INSIDE a unit might be a fire hazard.

Hope this helps,

Clive.

• 1 month later...

I have 3 of these hooked up and they look truely awesome. I replaced the mirrors on the barrels myself with 2mm thick glass mirrors, and the difference is truely amazing. Crystal clear images and really bright. Although i do tend to wrap them in cotton wool so as not to crack the mirrors. I have just purchased 2 acme dynamo's so hopefully they will look just as good when all lights are going together. I will try and post a photo of them all lit up with smoke. Just hope my gantry can take all the weight, lol

Well i bought a second spinmaster 3, and bought a couple of DMX cables, to link them up (was going to link it to the spinmaster 1 too), but looks like the DMX side isn't working on the most recent spinmaster 3 purchase.

I also noticed that it wasn't anywhere near as bright as the other spinmaster 3 - I found the ELC bulb's reflector wasn't that good, in fact the reflector layer seemed to be too thin - it would also light up the surrounding area behind the bulb. Replaced it with an osram one and voila, bright light again!

Anyway, looks like the DMX signal isn't getting through to the light (works ok on audio mode). Looks like I'll have to crack open the case to check the pcb is ok..

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]