Dj's United

Hi all I've been dj'ing for about 5 months working with a fellow dj's equipment. During this time I have constantly viewed posts on this forum but have as yet not felt the need to ask anything now. However i have decided the time has come now for me to invest in my own equipment and was keen to seek some advice of those more experienced in the business. For My lighting I have decided on 2xacme leo scanners 2xacme falcons 2xnjd datamoons and a prolight matrix as the centrepiece. I will be using a skytec 3m truss to mount the lighting. Where I am confused is the best way to run power to the lights. the set up i am currently using is slightly different as there are two tripods with a with a 3m optikinetics triangular trilite piece on top. at the moment 2 extension leads are placed up there and the lights simply plug in and then one extension lead is run down to the ground. however with the skytec only being bi-lite i.e flat it would look rather untidy especially with the extension leads being white and the stand being black so I would rather not do it this way. I was just wondering how you more experienced guys go about it? and the alternatives available. I preferably only want to run one lead to the ground. Being a newbie setting up especially regarding lighting is one area where I don't have so much knowledge and so any advice would be greatly appreciated and taken on board

Always borrow money off a pessimist as they never expect it back

Hi there

Welcome to DJs United ! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/Welcome.gif

Have fun, take a quick glance at the Code of Conduct (top of main page) and of course, feel free to add your own views, comments, opinions and experiences to any of the existing posts, or of course feel free to start your own thread/topic to ask a question or provide information.

Ok the question of how to power, and control overhead lights crops up fairly often from time to time.

One option is a relay pack mounted up on the rig, and a control panel/switch panel for that relay pack, down where you can reach it.

The relay pack basically takes one Mains feed (from a plug/wall socket, and one signal feed (normally looking like a 9pin joystick connector) from the switch panel.

Theres an example of the switch/relay pack idea on this thread here. (CLICK HERE)

The one shown has a timer feature, allowing you to set flip-flops of lighting eg: Those lights on for 20 seconds, then these lights on for 40 seconds, then back to those again for 20 seconds, and so on...

Again, welcome to DJs United. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/042.gif

Edited by Gary

Get an 8 channel power distributor of e-bay, about £25, and a couple of splitter boxes. The splitter boxes have a blgin input and 4 IEC ouptuts. Mount the splitter boxes onto the truss permanatley (sp?) and then every time you set up, you just plug each light into one of the IEC's and then run 2 bulgin cables down the tripod to the back of the controller. Thats what i do now, and it looks much neater and saves alot of time aswell! Used to take me about 2 hours to set up, now i can have it done in about 1 hour!

Well, thats what i would recomend doing.

Stu

That looks fine for lights with IEE sockets - I have some like this but I have a few lights that are hard wired with 13amp mains plugs on them - I'm assuming I would need to get these rewired with IEE leads?

Cheers,

Jack.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/Welcome.gif

Hi,

OK, I use this kind of truss, and I simply use a black mains distribution block with a black cable. The block is attached to the truss using velcro cable straps.

Cheers,

Brian

QUOTE (jackcu @ Sep 1 2005, 04:39 PM)
That looks fine for lights with IEE sockets - I have some like this but I have a few lights that are hard wired with 13amp mains plugs on them - I'm assuming I would need to get these rewired with IEE leads?

Cheers,

Jack.

The IEC plugs, especially the 90degree or Right-angled plugs look really neat - and luckily are not really any more tricky to wire up that a normal 3 pin mains plug.

Hi and Welcome From another Newbie on this Forum

Ok well you could spend a lot of money,Or you could do what i did and make your own with stuff/junk laying around the house.

I built my own with the following bits

1 3 Pin Mains Plug

8 Inline IEE Sockets (depends on how many units you want on th rig)

1 Black Project Box (Mapins or any good elecronics shop)

1 Powercon Socket

1 Powercon Plug

2 Spring clip things (the type you screw to a wall to hold tools in a work shop)

And then some black power cable to go from the boxx to the IEE sockets

Plus some more black cable but with the right rateing to run the rig wihout problems

As soon as i find out how to post a picture I'll show you mine http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/flirt.gif

Do unto others before they do unto you then run like Fcuk

before the police get there

thanks for the quick responses. Quite a coinsidence really as this was the controller i was thinking of getting so the relay pack idea is more than likely wot i will do. A couple of questions though how long is the mains lead on the relay pack? wot would you suggest is the best way of mounting the relay pack? i would have thought velcro or gaffa tap although the latter may look a bit tacky and will i still need to connect my 3 pairs of dmx lights using a dmx cable once they are plugged into the relay pack

thanks for any feedback

Always borrow money off a pessimist as they never expect it back

All good advice above http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbup.gif

There are various types of connection systems available which will split a multicore cable to 4x IEC outlets, the standmate is one of them, with the advantage of having spring clips which clip onto your stand.

Standmate Link

Although the standmate is limited to effects switchers with bulgin socket outputs, Standmates are ideal for converting if you don't wish to use any form of switcher to control each individual effect. Simply replace the multicore cable with 3 core black 13A Flex, daisy chain the IEC sockets, and fit a standard 13A plug on the end. This basically makes it a 13A 4-Way outlet extension lead which clips onto your stand and neatly serves the effects from one lead!.

Chris, I don't actually think your limited really, You can quite happily use the standmates with a standard switch pack.

You just need one of these

http://www.terralec.co.uk/product_images/info/prd%7BF76AB5AE-D34A-4A70-A673-1AE31F5BAC0A%7D.jpg

Just connect the standmate to one of them and you have control over each lighting effect!

If I only I had have know earlier! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wallbash.gif

QUOTE (Digital discos @ Sep 1 2005, 07:36 PM)
Chris, I don't actually think your limited really, You can quite happily use the standmates with a standard switch pack.

You just need one of these

http://www.terralec.co.uk/product_images/info/prd%7BF76AB5AE-D34A-4A70-A673-1AE31F5BAC0A%7D.jpg

Just connect the standmate to one of them and you have control over each lighting effect!

If I only I had have know earlier! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wallbash.gif

The type of lead pictured is ideal for a particular use, but seems to present a potential danger when used in another way.

If you were to pull the IEC lead out the back of your monitor right now...(well, you wouldnt be able to read the rest of this sentence, but humour me...) and look at the plug you've just pulled - you'll see you're holding the Female IEC eg: The actual power is safely hidden down three holes. Take a look at the IEC on the back of the monitor, Argh! (not) there are 3 pins sticking out, all easy to touch, or even wedge a finger between -luckily, those pins now have no power in them.

The lead pictured, with its 4 sets of exposed pins in each IEC Male plug, would be fine for the IECs into say, a 3 way dimmer pack fitted with 4 IEC female sockets, and then running 4 lots of 220volts OUT to the Bulgin socket eg: to drive a light screen.

Used "the other way around" eg: Power in through the Bulgin, power out thru the IEC male plugs, I'd be worried using it.

However, the idea itself is sound, IF the lead were available with female IEC's.

Gary makes a very valid point, and one which I missed.

Used in the manner in which it was meant, then this lead will convert four IEC outlets to one Female Bulgin. However used in the reverse, to convert one bulgin to four IEC Male's will mean that the exposed pins of the IEC's will all be carrying mains voltage and easy to touch.

Now if the IEC's were female it would be safe, however using it as it is would be potentially dangerous.

SO say I have 4 female chassis on the back of my switch pack, then I plug each 4 of the male iec's into them and then connect a standmate to the female bulgin socket will it be unsafe or potentially dangerous?

Most lights are fitted with a male iec on the back? So i can't see how you could try power some lights up with it?

Just a bit confused here...If you were trying to power some fixtures you would obviously need the bulgin to 4 female leads? But that's not what we're trying to do?

Just spotted that lead!!

Who made that? Surely that is not commercially available in that form?

Let us know who is marketting that lead, they need to be informed of the potentially fatal consequences of incorrect use.

Under no circumstances should you use one of these.

Calm Down Digital, if you are using it in the manner as you later explain then it's okay http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif - Relax.

However, if you were to use it in reverse, with the power coming from the Bulgin end, travelling down the lead and out to the ends to each IEC plug, then the pins of the IEC plugs would be live, would they not?. This would be potentially fatal.

If you are using the lead (as it probably was designed to do) with the male ends of the IECs plugged into a controller sending the mains down to a female insulated bulgin plug then that is acceptable and reasonably safe because when the IEC plugs were disconnected from the Switcher / controller they would not be live = no shock risk.

However the fact that it could easily be used in reverse, and there is confusion as to which way it is designed to be used is where Kingy makes a good point. There DOES need to be some warning against doing this.

Bulgin end, travelling down the lead and out to the ends to each IEC plug, then the pins of the IEC plugs would be live, would they not?.

Ouch never realised that!!! Blooming eck!

So say I made a bulgin male to 13a plug and connected it to this lead I would be in the :cense: to put it mildly if I touched one of the male iec pins!

Why on earth didn't I think of this http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wallbash.gif

Guys, there are 2 types of inline bulgin socket now (male and female), and we should have changed all those leads to the correct versions depending on whether the socket is supplying the voltage or receiving it.

I was thinking about leads too and saw this:

Show Director

I saw this being used by BlackVynil at his show and thought it looked really easy to use... Again you would have to change all units to the correct iec connector and manually switch them on and off instead of the flip flop method where it does it for you, but I personally think I would prefer it as you know what lights you want on during certain sets (ie less for Rock N Roll and more for RnB and Dance...)