Dj's United

Problem with Martin Ego 3-

I have a bit of a problem that hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on (pun not intended).

I recently sold a pair of Martin Ego 3's on e-bay. Before sending them to the winning bidder up in the north-east, there was no obvious difference in the brightness of the two lights, but the guy who received them says that there is a very noticeable difference in the brightness of them. He says this was first obvious when he tried them at home and then also that night when he used them at a gig.

The guy that has bought them seems like a decent bloke and I'm pretty sure he's not trying it on.

Can anyone think of any reason why one would suddenly seem duller than the other one?

The only possible cause I can think of is that they were knocked in transit, but it doesn't explain what's happened. He's tried swapping the bulbs but that made no difference. Both him and I are both stumped, can anyone on here think of a possible solution?

Edited by Eskie

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Is there a lamp saver mode which might have got activated in transit on one of the units, but not the other?

Often its just a dip or slide switch on the back, or inside, near the lamp area, but I'm not sure about the Martin units which you're mentioning specifically.

It's not a dmx effect so their are no dip switches and there doesn't appear to be a switch for lamp saver mode anywhere on the unit http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/533.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Is the new owner using the units linked - or as two separate stand-alone lights.

The manual (admittedly a combined manual for ego 1,2 and 3) mentions about a combined dimmer/intensity control (though possibly on a separate controller) if he's not got the units linked maybe he's managed to dim one, whilst the other is powering away at full brightness.

If the lamp swap hasn't helped it suggests that not enough power is getting through.

Could be a fault with the transformer or could be a dry joint has occurred on one of the circuit boards.

Sounds like something a competent repair shop should be able to trace fairly easily. As an example I have taken malfunctioning effects units and DMX colour changers to my local TV/electrical repair shop. They have never failed me yet.

I have 2 Martin Ego 2's. I am now down to just one of them. I have to clean it very oftenly. The lense gets very dirty very quickly compared to my other lights, i think it might be to do with the larger lense on the end of it. The other light i have got, the motor that drives the reflector dish has broken and that too is working dimmer, I have been told by my local martin dealer that it needs a new transformer and new motor. Costy at £150 when you can buy one brand new at £225 !!

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

Also make sure all of the optics are still aligned. I had an Abstract light that got knocked and it misaligned the optics causing only half the beam to pass through the final lense to the mirror.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Make sure the guy is not swinting when he looks at them as I find that closing ones eyes has an effect

Soory......it's late/early.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Misaligned optics. Probably caused by idiot couriers. The new EGO series of Martin effects have got their renowned brilliant brightness through very precise optics. I would say its taken a bash by the courier and its misaligned. If he looks inside he should be able to see the light patch and reflector. He needs to check these are exactly inline then readjust the focus. Failing that a competant repairer will fix.

These features do not have any mechanical or digital dimming, or lamp saver modes.

Lighting installer/supply & repair agent

<<< Gig-Light - Lighting Hire & Maintenance Services >>>

WWW.GIG-LIGHT.CO.UK / Enquiries@gig-light.co.uk

QUOTE (qifop @ Oct 24 2005, 02:04 PM)

These features do not have any mechanical or digital dimming, or lamp saver modes.

I have a pair of Ego3s and they do dim, not sure whether its an electronic dim or the more un-likely a physical mechanical dimmer. Never had to open one yet. Bet the day will come.

They have no mechanical shutter. The item is too new so therefore have no part spec for them yet however I know intensity of both effect & light output are on the same IC so therefore if some kind of electrical dimming is implemented the light should also be performing more "calmly".

Not sure if this is the case?

Lighting installer/supply & repair agent

<<< Gig-Light - Lighting Hire & Maintenance Services >>>

WWW.GIG-LIGHT.CO.UK / Enquiries@gig-light.co.uk