Dj's United

Smoke Machine, modification

I had a problem with my smoke machine, the following may be of use to somemone!

The machine never really worked very well, also ejected a sticky residue so had to be careful where placed. The delivery was getting less and less so tried the cleaning tips at the top of the forum. This helped a little, but after a few weeks back to no output.

On the bench I verified the pump was running and pumping fluid well. The ejection nozzle was removed, the hole wasn't blocked but very, very small.

Opening the nozzle to 3mm with a drill and refitting has fixed the problem. Loads of smoke and no residue!

Cheezy

Nightsounds

thanks for that Cheezy

my antari packed up about a month ago but because im a lazy git and didnt have the time to try and repair it i went and bought the new eu900 smokie with remote control.

ill try ant take it appart next week and see if its the same problem as yours.

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Id advise against this practice. The hole is small for a reason. If you make it bigger the outside cooler temperature air will enter the heat exchanger making warm up times more lengthy and potentially cause damage to the heating element itself through overwork.

Lighting installer/supply & repair agent

<<< Gig-Light - Lighting Hire & Maintenance Services >>>

WWW.GIG-LIGHT.CO.UK / Enquiries@gig-light.co.uk

The jet (hole) at the nozzle end is there to generate a little back-pressure or restriction as the pump pressurizes the capilliary tube which is coiled inside the heater block. It is this nozzle which causes the smoke to be ejected so far into the room. If it's too restricted, usually due to limescale, drop it in kettle descaler and poke something like a cocktail stick through it to dislodge the deposits.

If it's opened out too far the fluid will not spend long enough in the heater and it will have poor projection.

The old Smoke-Company type machines didnt have a nozzle, they swaged over the end of the capilliary tube where it came out of the heater, but with similar effect.

A good chance to ask this:

My smoke machine sometimes ejects 'smoke' which smells slightly burnt. If I give it a good burst the burnt smell goes away, but if it rests for a while, it seems the residue slowly burns in the tube again, to add the burnt smell to the next burst.

It seems to me the thermostat, although working fine, is perhaps set to too high a temperature, but the pot which controls this has been bound with resin to make it non-adjustable. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/mad.gif

I'm reluctant to cut it out and replace it with another adjustable one.

It's only a cheapie bit of kit anyhow, but anyone else experienced this 'burnt sugar/caramel' smell?

The hole is only now 3mm diameter. This is going to make negigble difference to the thermal performance. This particular machine has a large mass heat exchanger with substantial lagging. In addition there are 2 thermostats, 1 that trips when the unit reaches correct temperature, the other a overtemperature protection trip in case the first fails.

As to projection, the results are amazing! Delivery is far better (longer throw and denser) with no dreaded mess.....and the results last a lot longer, therefore less operation and less fluid used!

I'm not advocating this is suitable for all machines, and besides not everyone will have the ability or want to go fereting around a piece of electrical kit! This is my experience for a piece of kit that was otherwise going to get junked!

It is now great (for the odd times I use it)!

Cheezy

Nightsounds

PS the odd wisp of smoke between operations is normal as small amounts of fluid fluid can occassionally be pulled into the heater by capillary action.

Interesting to hear others are getting the burnt smell.

As for the intermittent puffs, yep, I get those too. I'm assuming this is because a small amount of fluid has found its way into the heated tube and instantly vapourises.

Thanks Kingy.

I am using 'El Cheapo' brand, as I was chucked a few litres free with the machine and am now down to using it up.

Might try some decent JEM brand or something similar and see if it cures this problem.

Thanks for that advice. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif