Dj's United

Hi there,

I'm new to DMX, and have set up a controller and two scanners in what I think is the correct arrangement, however when I power on everything, the scanners self-test, then go to the centre, without even a lamp on (The lamp powers on but the shutter is on blackout, so I dont get anything.)

Im using the basic Soundlab DMX controller, G018WA, and want the scanners to be on Projectors 1 and 2 (Channels 1 and 7)

So I've set up Scanner One with just Dip Switch 1 on and the rest off, and Scanner Two with Dip Switches 1, 2 and 3 on, and the rest off. I believe this gives me channels 1 and 7, though this may be my first error!

When I try to control either, or both, or run the built in programs, I get no response at all from either scanner. When I power the controller on or off and leave the scanners on, I get slight movement from one (it whizzes away from the middle then straight back again but without the lamp on) but I'm assuming this is just a bit of stray signal?

I'm pulling hairs out trying to work out what I've done wrong! There is an LED on both scanners on the back. I've noticed that they flash intermittently when I unplug any DMX leads, and stay on constantly when I plug the leads back in. I'm guessing this is telling me there's no break in the leads and the scanners are recognising the DMX leads are there...

Thanks for reading this far, and hopefully with some luck I'll get them working!

Tim

What scans are they?

Make sure that the scans start address is actually 1 as you've set it and not zero. Many lights of 6 channels will have addresses from 0-5, 6-11, etc

Also, you say the built in sequences - are these designed for this light? If not it's unlikely they'll work.

Has the controller got a polarity switch? Try switching it.

Have you tried selecting head one and actually moving the individual channels and seen if you get any movement? Best to use X and Y mirror for this.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Yeah sounds to me like the DMX hot/cold has been swapped. I have the 4-channel version of that controller, it came with a short xlr lead, the controller had hot/cold swapped and the lead as well to compensate! That meant it wouldnt work with normal pin-to-pin XLR leads. You can try swapping the pins, you wont harm it so long as you dont swap them with the GND pin.