Dj's United

Chris.

Will try and kick things off.

A little insight before I get grilled by the real questions.

‘Proper name’ is Andy Harris, aged 35, married to Annelise, (she owns a wedding cake business) have 3 kids Jill, Edward and Laura, aged 17.13 and 6. Live in Sunny Torquay in Devon

Started as most as a roadie in 1983 doing holiday camps unpaid up until 1998 when I moved to Cheshire, stayed there until 1994, not doing discos, Moved back to Torquay and decided to start ‘again’ properly. Within months was getting double bookings and having to give my DJ I started with discos.

Now thinking of doing it full time as more bookings than free dates !

As I work full time at the moment and run both businesses from home in the evening I don’t have much time for anything else, started playing golf when time allows.

Nickname is Gadget because I like the latest ‘toy’ or phone.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Well, I guess that the first question has got to be:

Where did you get that animated Avatar of Kazzachi??? and have you got the rest of it?

YES

How long have you been DJ'ing?

SINCE ABOUT 1983/4

What inspired you to become a DJ?

LOOSE WOMAN AND CASH

What type of "Do" was your first gig?

I THINK IT WAS EITHER A HOLIDAY CAMP OR SOME SORT OF BIRTHDAY PARTY, I CAN’T REMEMBER !!

How much did you charge (Mikeee please convert this from Shilings and pence to decimal when its your go..)

NO IDEA NOW, GUESSING AT £40 TO £50

What equipment did you have to begin with?

POWERED ‘COFFIN’, PROBABLY 100 WATTS MONO, A COUPLE OF SPEAKERS AND TWO LIGHT BOXES, SAVED UP AND GOT A ROPELIGHT

Whats the worst/most embarassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

LEGALLY OR ILLEGALLY ? DID A GIG ONCE FOR A GROUP OF ‘OLDIES FROM PLYMOUTH’ I SPENT ALL NIGHT TALKING ABOUT PLYMOUTH THE PLACE TO BE TOLD AT THE END OF THE NIGHT THEY WERE ALL FROM HMS PLYMOUTH

What is your favourite type of function now? EG: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, funeral wake..

CORPORATE EVENTS, THEN WEDDINGS

Is there anything that you include in your show now, that you wish you'd done/known when you started? (Not equipment, but in human/performer terms)

EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE

What do you feel you offer your public, that makes you a better DJ than "the next guy/girl"?

PROFESSIONALISM

Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadnt? and why?

A LASER BARRELL, WAS MEANT TO SHOT LASER AROUND THE ROOM, HAD IT FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING IT ON

Whats your next DJ purchase likely to be?

APART FROM CD’s, PROBABLY ANOTHER PAIR OF SPEAKERS, HZ BECAUSE YOU CAN WATERPROOF THEM AND I NEED THEM FOR OUTSIDE WORK OR A GIG TRUNK

If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

A GOOD LOOKING FEMALE ROADIE, OR HAZE MACHINES THAT DIDN’T LET OFF SMOKE ALARMS

What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing.

MEETING PEOPLE AND ENTERTAINING

What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing.

DRUNKEN PEOPLE AND 18TH BIRTHDAY PARTIES

What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything).

LOTTERY WIN, PROMISED MY WIFE I WILL STOP IN ABOUT 5YEARS, 25 YEARS FROM STARTING, COULD BUY MYSELF A GOLD WATCH

How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

MP3 DJ’ING AND HOPEFULLY A MORE PROFESSIONAL APPROACH FROM OTHER DJ’S (EXCLUDING PEOPLE READING THIS, CAUSE THEY ARE NEARLY THERE), A DJ ORGANISATION TO HELP PROMOTE PROFESSIONALISM WITHIN THE ENTERTAINMENT/DJ INDUSTRY

Ok couple of fun questions

Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig? SEE MOST EMBASSING MOMENTS

Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

TALK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY AND SLIDE THE FADER DOWN WHEN DOING IT. QUALITY IS BETTER QUANTITY

And worst advice you were ever given

THIS LASER BARREL IS GOOD

I know there is prob to many to think of but name 3 banker songs, 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill you dance floor!!

SHANIA TWAIN – MAN I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

ABBA – DANCING QUEEN

VAN MORRISON – BROWN EYED GIRL

you also have to ask about age, location, martial status, education level, and what's your mode of transportation! of course, you can just say no comment.....but that's not intresting then

AGE 35

LOCATION TORQUAY, DEVON, ENGLAND

EDUCATION LEVEL 18 A LEVELS/9 O LEVELS AND A DEGREE IN LIARING

TRANSPORT VAUXHALL ASTRAVAN 1.7 1993 WITH 189,000 MILES FOR GIGS

RENAULT LAGUNA 1.8 RT SPORTS WITH 115,000 MILES FOR THE MISSUS

Here a couple extra questions:

What equipment do you currently use?

HZ PE300 X 2 / HZ SB400 X 1/ AKG MICROPHONE / LAPTOP COMPUTER/ VARIOUS LIGHTING EFFECTS, NORMALLY USE 7 ON A NORMAL GIG (DMX) BUT IF YOU WANTED 25,000W AND 101 DIFFERENT EFFECTS GIVE ME A CALL.

How much have you "invested" in equipment?

I SAY NOT ENOUGH, MY WIFE SAYS TOO MUCH, AFTER 20+ YEARS LOST COUNT

What was your eason for becoming a DJ?

WOMAN AND CAASH WHEN I STARTED, NOW JUST CASH

Approximately how many gigs have you done to date

AS I HAVE A FEW OTHER DJ’S I HAVE LOST COUNT, MOST I’VE DONE IN ONE MONTH, INCLUDING OTHERS IS 78. DID 13 GIGS MYSELF IN A SEVEN DAY PERIOD ONCE. SO I AM GUESSING AT DOING MYSELF I HAVE DONE 1000’S. IF YOU WORKED EVERY SATURDAY PER YEAR, THAT’S 52 FOR 20 YEARS TOTALLING 1040. MORE LIKE 5000 +

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk