Dj's United

Deck Stands - What Do You Use?

Deck Stands - what do you use?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

Just took delivery today of a Kamkase 4ft stand complete with T-bar goalposts bag and must say it's excellent.

Price was good too at £125 delivered by courier (The stand alone would have only been £95 delivered).

I didnt see any difference in build quality to the other brands

http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/dj-stan...-lighting-t-bar

Just took delivery today of a Kamkase 4ft stand complete with T-bar goalposts bag and must say it's excellent.

Price was good too at £125 delivered by courier (The stand alone would have only been £95 delivered).

I didnt see any difference in build quality to the other brands

http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/dj-stan...-lighting-t-bar

Its worth paying extra for the bag - not only does it protect the stand, but it also protects the stand from trashing your vehicle and other equipment too (so many sticky out bits!).

I'd get one of those stands, but I feel the 90cm or so height is just a bit too high with my 10u/6u road ready flightcase, Its perfect height on a standard 6ft tressel table.. e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidistestin...57621434494300/...

Cheers,

David, who uses a table currently..

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Its worth paying extra for the bag - not only does it protect the stand, but it also protects the stand from trashing your vehicle and other equipment too (so many sticky out bits!).

I'd get one of those stands, but I feel the 90cm or so height is just a bit too high with my 10u/6u road ready flightcase, Its perfect height on a standard 6ft tressel table.. e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidistestin...57621434494300/...

Cheers,

David, who uses a table currently..

Thanks for that. Yes, I didnt think of the height/flightcase issue. Fortunately mine is a low profile/angled one.

Where can I get the laptop add-on shelf?? I think that's a neat solution and better to the separate clamp-ons I've been looking at.

Teez

Thanks for that. Yes, I didnt think of the height/flightcase issue. Fortunately mine is a low profile/angled one.

Where can I get the laptop add-on shelf?? I think that's a neat solution and better to the separate clamp-ons I've been looking at.

Teez

I have no idea, they can be bought - I bought the flight case, shelf, mixer and dual cd player (which you can sorta see on one of the next photos on the flickr link above), for about 120 notes... its huge and takes quite a bit of space in the back of the car. but its really solid built.. Thing is though I now only need about 3U at the front rather than the 6 it came with (used to have the DSP8024 in there, but it now lives in another 4u flight case with the main amp).

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Use giraffe and star cloth to fit from Phase 1.

For shelves I got four 60cm cut offs of wood.

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

I've got 2 Giraffe stands - one is a 4' with over-head (I don't tend to use this feature)

The other is a short 2' wide stand. Great for small setups, but a bit tricky to read the DDS's screen.

For the guys using the4/6' Giraffe stand watch out for venues with low ceiling. The stand requires at least 7' ceiling and this isn't always there..

A T-Bar is a good "back-up" as most will go low (so you can bang your head...lol)

Jason

I've got 2 Giraffe stands - one is a 4' with over-head (I don't tend to use this feature)

The other is a short 2' wide stand. Great for small setups, but a bit tricky to read the DDS's screen.

For the guys using the4/6' Giraffe stand watch out for venues with low ceiling. The stand requires at least 7' ceiling and this isn't always there..

A T-Bar is a good "back-up" as most will go low (so you can bang your head...lol)

Jason

Had one venue where I could only get the t-bar up on the first "notch" with the legs fully out (It was the maplin "tree" t-bar without the silly arm bits... very little space between the tops of the lights and the ceiling!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Oh yes I always carry a tbar!

4" giraffe with overhead also form Mike's. I chopped a foot off either end and made a wooden case that fits in the van with 3 lights hard wired, with loom for 2 other light if req.

had to borrow a hack saw one night as i got caught out with height. took 2 inches off the uprights. T bar is in tha van permanently!!!!

Its too wobbly for my liking and as said on a previous thread, i worry about the day i go active and loose some weight on my bottom shelf from my amp.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

4" giraffe with overhead also form Mike's. I chopped a foot off either end and made a wooden case that fits in the van with 3 lights hard wired, with loom for 2 other light if req.

had to borrow a hack saw one night as i got caught out with height. took 2 inches off the uprights. T bar is in tha van permanently!!!!

Its too wobbly for my liking and as said on a previous thread, i worry about the day i go active and loose some weight on my bottom shelf from my amp.

Just take the amp with you and use it as a weight? :)

How stable are the giraffes?

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

• 1 month later...

Im thinking of getting a deck stand with overhead lighting bar, as this would look quite neat and as I already have speakers on tripods I didnt really want another pair or tripods for a separate goal post.

Ive seen the KAM stand set, incuding bag etc for £125, as someone else has mentioned and I would quite like to get that one.

However............ I have four (quite heavy) lights, 2 x scanners, and 2 x barrel (all 250w -no LED). Would these be ok on the overhead lighting bar, or might it be a bit unstable? As I have active speakers, I dont have a heavy amp to use as ballast and cant think of anything else I could use.

Does anyone use this without an amp etc keeping it stable?

Cheers, Mark.

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

Im thinking of getting a deck stand with overhead lighting bar, as this would look quite neat and as I already have speakers on tripods I didnt really want another pair or tripods for a separate goal post.

Ive seen the KAM stand set, incuding bag etc for £125, as someone else has mentioned and I would quite like to get that one.

However............ I have four (quite heavy) lights, 2 x scanners, and 2 x barrel (all 250w -no LED). Would these be ok on the overhead lighting bar, or might it be a bit unstable? As I have active speakers, I dont have a heavy amp to use as ballast and cant think of anything else I could use.

Does anyone use this without an amp etc keeping it stable?

Cheers, Mark.

I have a Kamstand as it was the cheapest online (djsuperstore.co.uk also gave me great bag for it for free), bragged about it on here only for someone to tell me that they didnt buy it because the upper shelf was too high. I rushed out to try it and rightly so, once my flightcase was on there I would have needed a step ladder to operate it (no problem for turntables). I then had to pay £30 for my local welder to cut off 20cm to make it workable.

The stand would definitely be unstable without any heavy equipment on the shelves and that much lighting on top. I'm guessing that most stands with integral overheads would have a stability issue if not weighted down.

Teez :tree:

I have a Kamstand as it was the cheapest online (djsuperstore.co.uk also gave me great bag for it for free), bragged about it on here only for someone to tell me that they didnt buy it because the upper shelf was too high. I rushed out to try it and rightly so, once my flightcase was on there I would have needed a step ladder to operate it (no problem for turntables). I then had to pay £30 for my local welder to cut off 20cm to make it workable.

The stand would definitely be unstable without any heavy equipment on the shelves and that much lighting on top. I'm guessing that most stands with integral overheads would have a stability issue if not weighted down.

Teez :tree:

Might have been better to opt for the Ultimax one (more height levels afaik) - probably cost about the same after you had the bottom taken off the KAM one !

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Thanks guys,

I agree - I think I will go for one of these deck stands as I only use a CDMix with a laptop, so the height is probably just right for that.

However, I dont want to risk it falling over, so I think I will stick to a separate T-bar or goal post for the lights - better safe than sorry!

Which is the best value deck stand - without overhead lighting? Ive seen them for abour £80, is this about right?

Cheers, Mark.

07825 641 090

I've got 4' and 2' Giraffe stands. I don't use the overheads - also active here and would be worried about stability.

Using a winch-up t-bar for lighting.

Cheapest 4' Giraffe stand (base only) is about £67 + shipping.

You'll want something to cover it up - options (increasing in price!) are black cloth from market, star cloth, DJ@ Deck Surround, or S&H booth.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

A winch-up T-bar is a good idea, as I wont have a helper and lifting a full T-bar on my own might be a bit much!

Ive been thinking about what to have at the front too - I love the booth type fronts, but they are expensive. Im thinking of cutting a pieve of ply or MDF to the right size, with a coule of side panels on hinges, and painting it a nice smooth black. This should hide the deck stand nicely, and look quite professional! Then it could fold up and go in the car easily when Ive finished.

Do other people do this?

Cheers, Mark.

07825 641 090

• 3 months later...

I have just dug deep and purchased a deckstand booth pro and have to say it is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Very solid quality construction and a nice design. probably my best ever purchase to date. Not cheap but worth every penny IMHO.

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

I have just dug deep and purchased a deckstand booth pro and have to say it is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Very solid quality construction and a nice design. probably my best ever purchase to date. Not cheap but worth every penny IMHO.

Would you be able to take a video of the stand and upload onto Youtube? I tried to find some video of this equipment but can't find any.

Looks really good. What do you use as shelving material?

:joe:

Bit of an update from me, I have a custom jobbie.

This folds up, is made of alloy, has a shelf, and fits 2x19" cases side by side.

It uses the NJD starcloth - setup is 20secs for stand with about 5mins for starcloth...

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showto...6115&hl=njd

A few gigs later, I'm still happy. In the summer, I may look into getting some different coloured cloth, and possibly white (that I'll backlight).

I couldn't have anything too bulky due to space.

For me, this is somewhere between the Giraffe stand and DeckBooth Pro/S&H Booth on price.