Dj's United

Working Abroad - Spain/portugal Etc

I am very interested in getting some sort of summer residency abroad. Has anybody any experience in doing this sort of thing as I would be very keen to learn a bit more about the process.

I have ambitions to move abroad and would like to see if there are any opportunities to continue djing when I'm out there.

Ideally I would be looking for a bar/small club sort of set-up.

Cheers,

Rich.

I believe we have a few members who have experience / recent experience of working / living abroad.

I must admit the idea to 'move' abroad has been attractive of late!

Its an experience, ive done it and just returned back to the uk, the recession has hit big time in greece and spain and most other eu countries, id wait for it to get better then consider doing it then.

its pretty easy to do. pick ya destination then head out and look for work, most residencys i worked at where good payers, yet i know of a few dj's this yr working 6 hours for 30 euro..... i wouldnt get off the beach for that personally.

if u have any questions, ask away.

Its an experience, ive done it and just returned back to the uk, the recession has hit big time in greece and spain and most other eu countries, id wait for it to get better then consider doing it then.

its pretty easy to do. pick ya destination then head out and look for work, most residencys i worked at where good payers, yet i know of a few dj's this yr working 6 hours for 30 euro..... i wouldnt get off the beach for that personally.

if u have any questions, ask away.

Hi mate good to see you online... Arte you still running the Bar in Greece?

Nik

I Lived the dream between 1984 & 1986. I worked at Tokyo Joes in Magaluf, Mallorca.

1987 season Bianco's in Alacante.

If you are considering doing this its not all holiday and having fun trust me.

You will be expected to help out in the venue a couple of hours before and you will need to get contacted hours of work if you don't expect to work from 8pm until the early hours (depending on what time the club / bar closed many now stay open until 6 or 7 am) for a minimal wage.

I have a couple of friends who are still on the circuit one is in Dubai working in and staying in at he hotel he is working at. He has chosen the hotel route as it is set hours a 1 am finnish and accommodation supplied.

Remember If you get an interview ask about accommodation for yourself or you will get there with no where to stay.

you may think the wage is good but take out your cost living and music costs its not so good.

But on the bright side it is great fun but long hours.

If you buy DJ magazine you will find adverts looking for DJs in the back.

Or go for a long weekend to the place you fancy working at & try some door knocking, this worked for my friend in Corfu a couple of years ago.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

no mate, got shafted for alot of euro.s , back in the uk now, hows tricks with u?

Oh bad news mate.... I guess this is one problem with working abroad... I am fine thanks for asking, Had a nasty start to the year but now we are expecting a baby due 18th November so the end of the year looks good. Workwise like most on here just serviving lol.

Nik

If you want to work abroad AND visit some of the best countries get in contact with Julianas of London.

I worked for their sister Co Bacchus before moving on to a few other agents

I worked in Norway, Dubia,Hong Kong Bahrain,Singapore and finally the USA before heading back home to Scotland to join the Fire Brigade.

Make sure you get a contract of employment and best of luck

If you want to work abroad AND visit some of the best countries get in contact with Julianas of London.

I worked for their sister Co Bacchus before moving on to a few other agents

I worked in Norway, Dubia,Hong Kong Bahrain,Singapore and finally the USA before heading back home to Scotland to join the Fire Brigade.

Make sure you get a contract of employment and best of luck

Did they get you the top of the pops gig? :joe:

Nik

Did they get you the top of the pops gig? :joe:

Nik

Now then Now then young man aauuuh !!!!

What have we here for Dr Nik ??????

None other than a "Jim ll fix it" badge.....

.....I really miss top of the pops LOL

Did you come back to Scotland because you wanted to be back home and be a fireman, or did things go pear shaped abroad?

Jim

No big chap , I spent 9 years abroad coming back home only twice in that time, but did change agencies a few times.

When your working abroad other agents will try and steal you away ,offering better money or conditions.

My last contract involved working on a Radio Station in Lancaster PA in the states WLAN fm97

I had the oppertunity to stay there but decided to come home and work for a Station in Scotland.

It was only part-time so i joined the brigade.

Since being back the club scene has died a little and the financial gain is not such an attraction any more.

So I've built up a rather large Mobile and loving it big time

I felt nine years was enough, seen some lovely places and met some famous people and would recommend it to anyone.

But GET A CONTRACT !!!!!!!