Dj's United

Adding A Dj Controller To My Set Up

I've been doing some wedding disco's for friends and family but would one day like to try and branch out to clubs etc.

Currently just using Virtual DJ to mix my tracks but want to add a controller, so I'm after some advice on set up.

Where does a controller fit in to my set up and can anyone advise on the cables I would need? I'm looking at the Gemini Firstmix Pro as this seems to have good reviews ( for what I can afford to spend).

This is my current set up.

Laptop > headphone out > Mackie ProFX8 mixing desk > XLR > Amp 1/4" jack line in > Speakon to speakers etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nashers

A controller plugs into your laptop via USB and then controls VDJ via midi mapping.

I would highly recommend you buy a controller with a built in sound card, running audio from the headphone socket on the laptop is very low quality.

You can pick up a hercules RMX for similar money to the Gemini you posted. The RMX is far superior - much better built, more features, more options, built in sound card.

Wiring would then be -

Laptop > RMX > Mackie mixer > Amp > Speakers

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

That's great, thanks for the tip.

Can you tell me what's the best way of connecting the controller to the mixer...

Is it from the RCA output and then just select a channel on the mixer to plug in to?

Thanks again!

Can you tell me what's the best way of connecting the controller to the mixer...

Is it from the RCA output and then just select a channel on the mixer to plug in to?

Thanks again!

Yep. Depending on which controller you get it might be XLR / RCA or 1/4" jack output into the rca inputs on one of your mixer channels.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk