Dj's United

Any idea where I can get some good quality impendance pads rated at 20R please.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Hi Andy,

I assume you mean 20dB, like the ones I posted about here.

I can't remember where I brought mine (a few years ago now) but many of the better pro audio shops sell them at around £20 each.

Or you could make some up yourself - connect a pair of series 1.5Kohm resistors from the input XLR pins 2 & 3 and then a 150ohm resistor across the output XLR pins 2 & 3.

Andy, what do you want it for?

I'm wondering if your requirement is something we could knock up pretty easily.

The inputs on the Bose is XLR, for long cable runs I need XLR cable, I am guessing I could just plug in an XLR but to be sure I need an inline 20R 'pad'.

Your Big Event

I don't understand why you need it, or what possible use it would be.

An 'L' pad is a variable control primarily to reduce the level of a signal whilst still presenting the same resistance (impedance) to the source, usually used to attenuate the output of midrange or tweeter units at speaker power levels without upsetting the crossover network.

There is no such requirement for line level XLR connections. I'm wondering if you are thinking of something else, but are using the wrong name.

Did someone tell you you needed this?

I think any is looking for a 20dB pad like this

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/i1/imppad.gif

as I mentioned in my post above rather than a 20R pad.

This drops an XLR line level signal by 20dB. A 20R pad is for connection in a speaker line.

Andy, can you clarify what it is that you need.

Robbie, that is what I am after, rather than a 'pad', an inline 'box' !

Your Big Event

Hang on Andy, I'll call you a bit later. You may not need one, I think you may be connecting to the wrong thing.... :!:

I think you need to use your normal XLR - XLR leads to preserve the balanced line quality all the way to the PS1, then use one of these adapters to plug into the PS1 on the Jack connection. The jack connection is the line in, the XLR is for mic use only:

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/42246064.jpg

Additionally, I use one of these to put the whole thing on its side out of harm's reach:

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/CN04145.jpg

Until I did this, I was not happy with the L1 system, now I'm over the moon with it.

I have run a 50m XLR-XLR lead from my mixer to a PS1 in this way. Easy peasy....

The simple answer is this:

If you go into the Bose PS1 using XLR (channels 1 & 2) the Bose is expecting microphone level input and you can be balanced.

If you go into the Bose PS1 using Jack (channels 1, 2, 3 or 4) the Bose is expecting line level input and you can only be unbalanced.

Therefore, if you are running a longer cable run or are having audio humms or buzzes, you can go from a balanced mixer into the PS1 using a balanced XLR lead, but you will need to use a 20dB imp pad to drop the input level to a usable level. The Bose will play line level into XLR, but it sounds compressed and yuck at higher levels.

I'm using pads similar to what Robbie pictured with my pair of Bose L1s.

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/i1/imppad.gif

Whilst we're on the topic of running an xlr to the bose l1, is there a specific 'type' or grade of cable I'd need.

i'm in the same situation where I'll be needing a run of around 8 - 9 m to my L1 from the mixer so would need to run it as balanced xlr into the 'pads' discussed here. Just want to make sure I'm using the right kind of cable??

• 8 months later...

Don't know if allowed to name places on the forum but try googling

"whirlwind imp" and ya should find a place in Scotland that will supply ya the required pad.

This nice chap told me that he is no longer stocking these. Any idea where I can get 2?

Cheers,

Brian