Dj's United

I am going down the route of adding DVD to my disco.

I have purchased a Promo Only DVD and am looking at Mixmash DVDs as well. Those of you that are using DVDs on your disco, do you use conventional DVDs as well, like the NOW compilations or Greatest Hit collections as well?

I am going to buy a laptop so that I can add visuals and messaging as well, so should I use the original dvds, or rip them to MPG to play via the computer?

If I play the original DVDs via the laptop, which is the best way to do it, so that I only get full screen when it's playing via the projector?

Help!

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Once that's done, what do you use to convert it to mpeg?

I'd advise sticking to MPEG2 (the original DVD compression format)- the ripper software will/should just give you an MPEG2 file(s). This will give you a large file(s)- just as ripping a CD to WAV file- but at the best quality.

If your software can't play those files or space is an issue, re-encode using DIVX/XVID into an AVI. The ripper software should allow you to save as .avi (you should then be able to select the compression used)

For all of this, run tests on a single track, and then view the video on your DJ screen in the dark.

In much the same way you get audible artifacts in low bitrate MP3 files, you'll get blockiness and poor colour on a highly compressed video file.

Side note: The legality of DVD ripping software is a bit dodgy! DVD Jon (google it) did time for creating code to circumvent the copyright protection on DVD's.

Most commercial DVD rippers won't rip a commercial DVD (without a hack/plugin)

Jason