Dj's United

Technical Question

Hi All,

I've been contacted by a very large pub who want me to do a gig this coming Sunday, this pub is two floors and he wants me to use my own speakers in the main gig room, all well and good. However he also wants me to plug into their system piping the music throughout the entire pub. Problem is I asked him what input I can use and all they have is a single 1/4 inch jack input, which bands normally run through the headphone-out socket I am told (this pub is a live venue, and dj's don't normally play here). This is wired into an amp on a different floor so no chance I can use my own leads. I explained that I couldn't do this as I needed my headphones, and my main output on the mixer will be used for my powered speakers. So my question is what are my options here? My denon dn-x500 has a subwoofer / lighting output at the back, could I plug it in here? I also use a transformer / isolator which has 1/4 inch jack outputs but obviously I can only plug in one side, can I even do this when I am using the twin xlr outputs for my powered speakers. this sort of technical stuff is lost on me I am afraid. Can anybody offer any advice?

Edited by DJMickeyk

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Hi All,

I've been contacted by a very large pub who want me to do a gig this coming Sunday, this pub is two floors and he wants me to use my own speakers in the main gig room, all well and good. However he also wants me to plug into their system piping the music throughout the entire pub. Problem is I asked him what input I can use and all they have is a single 1/4 inch jack input, which bands normally run through the headphone-out socket I am told (this pub is a live venue, and dj's don't normally play here). This is wired into an amp on a different floor so no chance I can use my own leads. I explained that I couldn't do this as I needed my headphones, and my main output on the mixer will be used for my powered speakers. So my question is what are my options here? My denon dn-x500 has a subwoofer / lighting output at the back, could I plug it in here? I also use a transformer / isolator which has 1/4 inch jack outputs but obviously I can only plug in one side, can I even do this when I am using the twin xlr outputs for my powered speakers. this sort of technical stuff is lost on me I am afraid. Can anybody offer any advice?

The dn-x500 has twin XLR outputs (for your own speakers) it also has a twin PHONO output (labelled "master" on the back) you can use that as well. Go to Maplin or a store and get a twin phono to single 1/4" TRS jack, you'll get one for around a fiver.

THE BEST OPTION, HOWEVER...

The mixer has a "booth" output out the back, which is twin 1/4" (same as the pubs input) and it has it's own volume control on the front of the mixer, so you can control the pub system volume yourself. You'll just need to get a twin 1/4" jack to single 1/4" jack cable from Maplin, use booth output for the pub system.

Edited by JonWhittaker

The sub output on the mixer should be a full signal as all the crossover processing will be done externally so you should be able to use that

Or you can run mono for each floor. ie left channel on your floor and right on the upper floor. If your powered speakers have a signal piggy back facility that is (xlr/jack in and out) Just a thought

a booth/record output or anything like that would also do if you have the right cables

If not can you source some splitter cables before then?

I have just looked at the mixer manual and you have more than enough outputs. You may need a cheap groundloop isolator just incase. is the transformer is to get rid of laptop hum?

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

The sub output on the mixer should be a full signal as all the crossover processing will be done externally so you should be able to use that

The sub output of this mixer gives a bass only output - with a crossover knob on the actual mixer next to the socket (40hz-200).

Edited by JonWhittaker

Thanks guys, nearest Maplins is an hour away but I guess it's worth the drive. I don't want to turn up and say I can't do what they asked as I have a feeling they will be calling again with more work

Thanks for taking the time to reply

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Thanks guys, nearest Maplins is an hour away but I guess it's worth the drive. I don't want to turn up and say I can't do what they asked as I have a feeling they will be calling again with more work

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Curry's may sell what you need or any store like that - if there's anything nearer take a look but yes it'll be worth getting the cables, the initial cost will be worth it if they give you more work :D

If your outputs are 1/4 inch jack and the input you need to connect to is a 1/4inch stereo jack, in theory you could use an "insert" Y-type cable.

It has two mono 1/4 jacks on one end and a stereo 1/4 jack on the other end.

You could also try some local music shops to see if they have that type of cable in..

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Curry's may sell what you need or any store like that - if there's anything nearer take a look but yes it'll be worth getting the cables, the initial cost will be worth it if they give you more work :D

It's my time to take a two hour round trip I'd be more worried about than the cost of a cable LOL.

This pub may be cutting back on the live acts as this type of entertainment is quite expensive, and I guess they figure they'd try a DJ out for a night and see how it goes, thats what I reckon anyway so I want it to go well. Will take the advice thanks again.

EDIT: I think I may have explained mysefl wrong, they want me to plug into a single 1/4 " jack cable that is coming down from the floor above. In that case I would need a twin 1/4" jack to single 1/4" female jack cable?? Is it possible to get one of these?

Edited by DJMickeyk

www.tipperarypartydj.com

It's my time to take a two hour round trip I'd be more worried about than the cost of a cable LOL.

This pub may be cutting back on the live acts as this type of entertainment is quite expensive, and I guess they figure they'd try a DJ out for a night and see how it goes, thats what I reckon anyway so I want it to go well. Will take the advice thanks again.

EDIT: I think I may have explained mysefl wrong, they want me to plug into a single 1/4 " jack cable that is coming down from the floor above. In that case I would need a twin 1/4" jack to single 1/4" female jack cable?? Is it possible to get one of these?

Maplin should have something I would think! If not you can definately get a single female to single male. Then just run the mixer in mono and you'll only need to use one of the booth outputs (IE just left or right)

Maplin should have something I would think! If not you can definately get a single female to single male. Then just run the mixer in mono and you'll only need to use one of the booth outputs (IE just left or right)

Cheers, will find a solution before sunday. Thanks for the help

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Basically they've given you the end of a headphone plug (1/4 inch - assuming its bigger than the standard headphone jack size of 1/8").

Aren't the booth outputs on the DN-X500 balanced? If so you'd need to make sure that you use a mono jack plug on the booth output, otherwise it'll get interesting plugging directly into one of them!

Cheers,

david

DJ David Graham

Basically they've given you the end of a headphone plug (1/4 inch - assuming its bigger than the standard headphone jack size of 1/8").

Aren't the booth outputs on the DN-X500 balanced? If so you'd need to make sure that you use a mono jack plug on the booth output, otherwise it'll get interesting plugging directly into one of them!

Cheers,

david

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31562

Will pick this up in Maplins Saturday morning, looks like just what i need

www.tipperarypartydj.com

I think that will only give you a mono connection - and as the socket is mono, then I guess it will only actually go to the in-house PA on the left channel.

I'd suggest the following:

Insert Lead - 1/4" Mono x 2 to 1/4" Stereo plug 3mtrs

1/4" Stereo Coupler

Links:

Insert Lead - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224856 - 3 mtrs will give you room to manouvre if the plug is stuck in a corner or something.

Stereo Coupler - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44079 ( Alternative: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=988

Plug the mono jacks into the Booth outputs, and plug the coupler into the Stereo plug. Then plug the PA system 1/4 stereo jack plug into the coupler.

I'd ring the store ahead of your visit to make sure that what you want is in stock - otherwise you'll have a wasted journey (get them to put the items behind or something too if they're low).

Cheers,

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham