Dj's United

Whilst i was gigin last week i had a small problem, where i suddenly both my speakers stopped putting anything out, and there was a lovely burnt smell in the air.

It turns out my amp has blown my 15" drivers in my wharfedale speakers, the amp was only at a quarter volume and barely working, the power supply seemed fine, so i can't work out what has blown them.

The amp fires up straight off, and doesn't fall into protection mode, i i've no idea whats caused it.

My question is what should i do?

Is there a way i could check the amp isn't pumping volts upto my speakers?

Also does anyone know a good reconing service that could re-cone my speakers quite cheaply?

I've checked the cables, there are no dicky connections on the plugs, so stumped as to whats caused this and how i can make sure i've cured it before blowinga another pair in the same way.

Maybe a stupid question - are you sure its the speakers that have blown and not the amp? It would be rare for both to blow and smell like that.

Was going to suggest a power surge (PERHAPS) but you say power supply fine.

Just out of interest, what did you do after all stopped working?

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

What amp is it? Some cheap amps have very poor or no DC protection whatsoever (despite claims to the contrary in the literature. It could be broken whilst showing no outward signs of the fact.

Also, even though the gains were very low, were you putting a very hot signal into it? Any clip/limit lights showing? It could be that you were running the amp flat out with a very overdriven, distorted signal, the worst scenario for drivers.

Probably the best thing to do is get the amp on a scope and see what the output waveform looks like.

Oh yeah, and what otronics said above - get a 9v battery on the drivers and see if they move, or even better another amp. do this direct to the drivers first, then try through the crossover to see if that that has gone.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum