Dj's United

Class D Jac12 Speaker Cabinets

I'm looking for a pair of inexpensive back-up speakers currently.

I have a pair of FBT Maxx4 ( 12" ) and a pair of FBT Maxx2 ( 10" ) passives which I use for different purposes.

I've heard good reports about the W-Audio PSR series although I was reminded recently of the Class D range, in particular the JAC12.

The power handling and sensitivity for these is the same as the Maxx4 and the SPL slightly higher. Class D say that the cabinets are comparable to FBT yet they're around 70% cheaper.

Can they really be that good?

Can anyone speak from experience please?

I have been using these for small venues for disco/karaoke and live music work for about two years now. I drive them with a Numark dimension 3 or Behringer EP2500. They take a lot of hard work and are reliable and robust. You will be presently surprised for the cost!

Jim

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

That's encouraging. But I can't help wondering if it's realistic to compare them with cabinets costing 3 times as much.

Have you compared them to anything else?

Only my Own systems which cost much more, in fact cost up to more than 30 times as much. It's a very unfair comparison in which the JAC12 do surprisingly well. I have recently purchased some JAC10 which I am installing in a local pub for a friend of mine. Both, to do well, need the bass be driven quite hard, if you don't they will sound quite sloppy and "wooly". However drive them too hard and definition is lost. Cut the bass at about 50 hz for best results. You get what you pay for. They have their limitations. If you are trying to buy high performance for cheap money then forget it. But if you are looking for a cheap back up and occasional small venue then, in my opinion, represent great value.

Use them with a crossover and subs and then they do very well.

As with all speakers try before you buy

Jim

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

Only my Own systems which cost much more, in fact cost up to more than 30 times as much. It's a very unfair comparison in which the JAC12 do surprisingly well.

Use them with a crossover and subs and then they do very well.

As with all speakers try before you buy

Jim

Thanks.

With a crossover and subs would be the only application in which I would use them.

Trying before buying would be best but I think the only way to do that is to visit Class D in Mansfield. No time for that currently.

You'll probably find the FBT and the Class-D are pretty much the same speaker...made by Jiaxing Jinlida.

Manufacturer here

Are you not familiar with FBT?

They are made in Italy and use B & C components. The Maxx4 are around £700 per pair.

The Class D "equivalent" £199.

Cant comment on the class d speakers,

But as a owner of a pair of the W Audio PSR - 15 I can say that I have been very impressed with them for the money. So much so I am using them more and more as my main spekaers even tho they where originally brought for back up purposes.

The only negative I have with the W Audio PSR - 15 is the weight they are certainly not the lightest active speakers out there. (30kg) But they do have good strong carry handles and come with a impressive decent padded protection bag.

I know sound is a individual thing but I have been more than happy with the w-audio there not to toppy and not to bassey and I have been using just them on there own for wedding entertainment perfectly.

Even been able to use just one of them when doing younger childrens birthday party's.

So yes there is the old adage of you get what you pay for and comparing them to a £1000 system they may fall flat but for my requirements and my budget they are fantastic and you cant go wrong with prices of £439.00 for the PSR-15's & PSR-12's for £388.95.

But Heh what do I know !!! :shrug: