Dj's United

Mood Lighting- How To Tackle Doorways?

Hi Guys,

I've been asked to quote for some lighting hire for a wedding, specifically mood lighting, with some lights for the dance floor and band. (band does not have lights) The client is a friend of Carmens, and knows I don't currently offer mood lighting.

I have been considering getting into this - so have been looking at service prices and component costs.

My question is really for the guys who already offer mood lighting as a service;

How do you deal with doorways and getting cables past them?

I can only see a few options of fixing the cables to the door frame (I can't see decent venues allowing this), or laying the cables under a mat/rug.

I guess 2 circuits is a possibility, but only if there is a single doorway.

Thanks for any help with this!

Jason

Hi Guys,

I've been asked to quote for some lighting hire for a wedding, specifically mood lighting, with some lights for the dance floor and band. (band does not have lights) The client is a friend of Carmens, and knows I don't currently offer mood lighting.

I have been considering getting into this - so have been looking at service prices and component costs.

My question is really for the guys who already offer mood lighting as a service;

How do you deal with doorways and getting cables past them?

I can only see a few options of fixing the cables to the door frame (I can't see decent venues allowing this), or laying the cables under a mat/rug.

I guess 2 circuits is a possibility, but only if there is a single doorway.

Thanks for any help with this!

Jason

If you can't run dmx cables around doorways then you would have to run it around the other side of the room - or in/out via some other means (outside and back into the room again?). You may need some long dmx cables though (!)

If its fixed colours you could just set these on the dip switches (or set the colour via dmx first then try by disconnecting the cable - YMMV depending on how manufacturers have implemented their DMX / standalone "protocols".

Third option would be wireless DMX sender/receiver. I think I've seen these for about 110 odd pound mark - and I believe thats for just the receiver...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

If you can't run dmx cables around doorways then you would have to run it around the other side of the room - or in/out via some other means (outside and back into the room again?). You may need some long dmx cables though (!)

If its fixed colours you could just set these on the dip switches (or set the colour via dmx first then try by disconnecting the cable - YMMV depending on how manufacturers have implemented their DMX / standalone "protocols".

Third option would be wireless DMX sender/receiver. I think I've seen these for about 110 odd pound mark - and I believe thats for just the receiver...

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

thanks for the reply. I've been looking at photos on websites, but understandably they don't have hi-res (so I can zoom in).

I probably should have asked what the acceptable method of getting cables around doorways is.

I can't see people using RF DMX for this (unless its on a large scale), and "set and unplug" loses the flexibility to adjust the effect, assuming the fixture is happy to have the cable unplugged (my dynaroll reverts to sound>light mode if DMX is unplugged)

I guess no one in DJU offers Mood Lighting as a service -or never crosses doorways with Power and DMX?

:(

Gaffa Tape would be fine for my local pub and possibly a community center, but the target market is a bit higher and I can't see myself being allowed to tape cables around nicely painted door frame. (or perhaps thats the normal method?!)

I did call my main Disco Supplies place - in case they offer mood lighting as a hire service, but they only offer Par Cans on T-Bar, so couldn't offer advice.

Anyway - thanks for your thoughts, if I get any information I'll post an update.

Cheers!

Jason

Jason

We used to run the DMX cables over the tops of the door architrave using small strips of Gaffa tape to hold the cable in place.

Some venues will make you put a cable ramp over cables if you run across the door threshold.

Mains power we tended to run from either side of the room as most rooms have power sockets all round.

Try to use a less sticky gaffa tape as this won't leave marks on the paintwork / surface when removed.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Jason

We used to run the DMX cables over the tops of the door architrave using small strips of Gaffa tape to hold the cable in place.

Some venues will make you put a cable ramp over cables if you run across the door threshold.

Mains power we tended to run from either side of the room as most rooms have power sockets all round.

Try to use a less sticky gaffa tape as this won't leave marks on the paintwork / surface when removed.

Thanks Ray,

I think I expected Gaffa Tape would come into this somehow. Just been reading up on Gaffa Tape..

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/DT101/

I have found this;

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index.php?ma...mifd42njh1rfh57

It'is not Gaffa Tape (its Masking Tape), but is low tact.

I do need to get a cable ramp,

Still working out set-up costs for this, but will have 2 paying clients IF I go for it, both in March, different venues and both would be happy for photos to be used on a website.

Jason

I know Im not an experienced dj, not any kind of dj, yet. however I have been to a few different types of parties and dos at our club.

we had a wedding party there and the dj had two small box frames that stood in front of the doors and the wiring went around the frame hidden by what looked like skirting board/ architrave. now Know you get various size doors but most are single and double

Skirting and architrave is available quite cheaply maybe its worth trying. I dont think theres a copyright issue as it was a homemade thing

maybe its worth someone thinking some more on this even if its pvc, could be extending for various doors

wish I had taken the djs number now but this was about three years ago just thought I would mention it. I suppose if you do it you could always add it to the bill

mac