Dj's United

Hello

Firstly let me just say hello My name is Dave have been on the forum for some time but don’t really post just reed. Any way since I was 17 (I am 23 now) I have been working along side a local company. They do all the booking, insurance, provide equipment every thing really I just tern up and do the work. I do a lot of different type of events from 16th 18th to 50th wedding Christmas parties and bit corporate events, at one of our residencies I regally play for over a 1000 people.

So my question to you… I fancy a change and really would like to get in to playing in the pubs/clubs in town so my question to you is how do I go about this and have any of you got any experience playing in this type of venue.

Thanks again every one

Hello

Firstly let me just say hello My name is Dave have been on the forum for some time but don’t really post just reed. Any way since I was 17 (I am 23 now) I have been working along side a local company. They do all the booking, insurance, provide equipment every thing really I just tern up and do the work. I do a lot of different type of events from 16th 18th to 50th wedding Christmas parties and bit corporate events, at one of our residencies I regally play for over a 1000 people.

So my question to you… I fancy a change and really would like to get in to playing in the pubs/clubs in town so my question to you is how do I go about this and have any of you got any experience playing in this type of venue.

Thanks again every one

Hells bells man.With all that work what on earth would you want to change for.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

I'm lucky in that i do a great mix of gigs, regularly do events but do regular pub gigs too where I just show up with a laptop & CD's, money is nowhere near as good but you are under no pressure and no equipment to lug around. I would pick these type of gigs over the mobile ones any day really. I have only done nightclubs on a few occasions, would love more of that type of work but i haven't made enough effort to put myself out there TBH. I feel in my area anyway that many of the nightclubs are done by resident DJ's who are very protective of their gig, so it's hard to get a foot in the door. I begged the owner of one local nightclub (got to know him well as he drinks in my local) to let me do a few nights but he never gave me a shot as he said the regular guy would have had a hissy fit. I genuinely think he would have liked to give me a chance but what can ya do.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Quite lucrative if you can get into the clubs and pubs that have full installations. Some of the club guys i have met recently are earning £150 for a 2 hour set and some just need to turn up with a box of vinyl/cd's.

Its very competetive and you need to know somebody on the inside to get throught the door.

Not my thing at all but if it were i would target where i want to work, listen to the preferred genre then do a demo and send it in with a nice letter with the possibility of offering a freebie set to showcase your talents.

You have an advantage if you have been doing a broad range of gigs as some pub djs need to play allsorts as opposed to the club boys who can rattle out a set of genre specific tunes.

What gear have you got of your own?

Good luck with the venture btw i hope it works out, at least you have a regularish job to fall back on and be careful not to burn your bridges

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I' I just show up with a laptop & CD's, money is nowhere near as good but you are under no pressure and no equipment to lug around. I would pick these type of gigs over the mobile ones any day really......

that many of the nightclubs are done by resident DJ's who are very protective of their gig, so it's hard to get a foot in the door.

Quite lucrative if you can get into the clubs and pubs that have full installations. Some of the club guys i have met recently are earning £150 for a 2 hour set and some just need to turn up with a box of vinyl/cd's.

Its very competetive and you need to know somebody on the inside to get throught the door.

That’s exactly why I want to do it a lot less hassle, but then like you say hard to get in the door.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s exactly why I want to do it a lot less hassle, but then like you say hard to get in the door.

I'd love to get hold of some of these classic lights for doing some retro gigs.

Have been looking on eBay but they don't come up very often does anyone know of anywhere else you can get hold of these lights?