Dj's United

Par36 Single Head Scanners

Hi

Recently bought 8 par36 single head scanners, minus plugs.

Have fitted 13amp plugs and fed the 2 live wires into the live pin on the plugs.

Individually they all work fine when plugged in. However if I plug in more than 2 on my 4 gang extention it trips the mains.

Have checked extension and is ok.

Also if I plug one at time in my shed the head starts rotating before I switch the socket on, but the lamp doesn't light. When the socket is turned on the motor stops and the lamp illuminates.

Probably something simple, like me..... lol

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Bill

Hi

Recently bought 8 par36 single head scanners, minus plugs.

Have fitted 13amp plugs and fed the 2 live wires into the live pin on the plugs.

Individually they all work fine when plugged in. However if I plug in more than 2 on my 4 gang extention it trips the mains.

Have checked extension and is ok.

Also if I plug one at time in my shed the head starts rotating before I switch the socket on, but the lamp doesn't light. When the socket is turned on the motor stops and the lamp illuminates.

Probably something simple, like me..... lol

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Bill

How do they work in the house?

I really don't want to sound rude but do you know how to correctly wire a UK 3 pin plug?

Cos it doesn't sound like you do.

If there are 2 wires coming from the scanner then they will live and neutral wires, not 2 lives.

Blue wire to the neutral (N) pin, brown wire to the live (L) pin.

I think maybe you would be safer getting somebody who knows more about electrics to take a quick look.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I really don't want to sound rude but do you know how to correctly wire a UK 3 pin plug?

Cos it doesn't sound like you do.

If there are 2 wires coming from the scanner then they will live and neutral wires, not 2 lives.

Blue wire to the neutral (N) pin, brown wire to the live (L) pin.

I think maybe you would be safer getting somebody who knows more about electrics to take a quick look.

Hi

It's ok, I realise it sounds crazy and it is.

There is actually a 4 core wire from the scanner.

One live feeds the transformer for the 6v bulb and the other live feeds the motor.

As you rightly advise think its a job for an electrician.

Cheers

If there are 4 wires then it doesn't really sound like they are designed to be run from a plug to me.

Obviously any other effect, or come to that, anything mains powered, takes a standard 2 or 3 core cable into the unit which is then split internally.

I'd hazard a guess they were originally intended to be run by some form of dedicated control board.

Do have any manufacturer/model numbers for them?

Sorry for double posting. Don't seem to be able to edit for some reason.

Had another thought as I had just hit the post button, maybe they aren't designed to take a 240v supply at all?

If they were run from a controller then it's possible (and likely) it sent different voltages to the transformer and motor.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Hi

It's ok, I realise it sounds crazy and it is.

There is actually a 4 core wire from the scanner.

One live feeds the transformer for the 6v bulb and the other live feeds the motor.

As you rightly advise think its a job for an electrician.

Cheers

What's the make and model no.of these units?

If there are 4 wires then it doesn't really sound like they are designed to be run from a plug to me.

Obviously any other effect, or come to that, anything mains powered, takes a standard 2 or 3 core cable into the unit which is then split internally.

I'd hazard a guess they were originally intended to be run by some form of dedicated control board.

Do have any manufacturer/model numbers for them?

Sorry for double posting. Don't seem to be able to edit for some reason.

Had another thought as I had just hit the post button, maybe they aren't designed to take a 240v supply at all?

If they were run from a controller then it's possible (and likely) it sent different voltages to the transformer and motor.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Feel you might be right about being wired into some sort of control unit.

Many thanks for all the replies, will seek proffessional advice.