Dj's United

Hello & Advice Very Welcome....

Hello to All :djuhi: .......My name is Sue. I have always enjoyed listening/playing music. Since first learning how to drive, like most youngsters I had to have a decent sound system pumping away :msn-wink: This was great untill I grew a little older & had children of my own....as the kids have grown older so has their love of music.....I think I have brian washed them with all this Old school music I play as well as modern day stuff.

A few years ago I invested in a mixing desk as I found this easier to use allowing me to play/mix the tracks that I was interested in. I then purchased some simple lights off ebay to create atmosphere for the kids :Thumbup: plus varies other bits, amp, speakers etc.

This was great for a time...but word soon spread among the childrens friends that their Mum had a Mixing desk etc & I recently held a small private party at my house for family/adult friends.

From this I have now been asked if I would be interested in DJing a couple of childrens parties & a 40th in the near future....I'm really quite flattered & can honestly say that I get a buzz out of choosing/playing music. I do not want to get too serious about DJing though, it is my hobbie that has expanded but I don't want to ruin it. I DJ for our kids & would only really want to DJ for friends holding private parties in the future.

With this in mind can anyone recommend any Public Liability Insurance companies, as I feel if I am going to agree to do any parties for other people I would rather be covered then take any chances.... I assume this would be a must. I obviously don't want to spend a fortune on insurance though as this is a hobbie & not a full time business like for some of you on here.

Thanks to anyone who can send me any links/advice & I look forward to reading as much of the useful information on this site as I can in the near future :djuhi:

Hi Sue,

I'm fairly new to the mobile disco business - have been doing it for a couple of years now after being interested in taking it for ages!

I got PLI after being requested for a few gigs where the venue required it - most won't even ask for it, but you'll find if you ever play hotels or golf clubs etc, that they will want to see a copy of your cert.

I've got mine through [This url is not permitted to be promoted on this forum] (Alliance of Mobile & Party DJs), and I think it was around £49 for the year, with a decent level of cover. There may be a few more companies around, but this is who I use.

Hope that helps!

Baz

Hello to All :djuhi: .......My name is Sue. I have always enjoyed listening/playing music. Since first learning how to drive, like most youngsters I had to have a decent sound system pumping away :msn-wink: This was great untill I grew a little older & had children of my own....as the kids have grown older so has their love of music.....I think I have brian washed them with all this Old school music I play as well as modern day stuff.

A few years ago I invested in a mixing desk as I found this easier to use allowing me to play/mix the tracks that I was interested in. I then purchased some simple lights off ebay to create atmosphere for the kids :Thumbup: plus varies other bits, amp, speakers etc.

This was great for a time...but word soon spread among the childrens friends that their Mum had a Mixing desk etc & I recently held a small private party at my house for family/adult friends.

From this I have now been asked if I would be interested in DJing a couple of childrens parties & a 40th in the near future....I'm really quite flattered & can honestly say that I get a buzz out of choosing/playing music. I do not want to get too serious about DJing though, it is my hobbie that has expanded but I don't want to ruin it. I DJ for our kids & would only really want to DJ for friends holding private parties in the future.

With this in mind can anyone recommend any Public Liability Insurance companies, as I feel if I am going to agree to do any parties for other people I would rather be covered then take any chances.... I assume this would be a must. I obviously don't want to spend a fortune on insurance though as this is a hobbie & not a full time business like for some of you on here.

Thanks to anyone who can send me any links/advice & I look forward to reading as much of the useful information on this site as I can in the near future :djuhi:

Hi Sue,

I'm fairly new to the mobile disco business - have been doing it for a couple of years now after being interested in taking it for ages!

I got PLI after being requested for a few gigs where the venue required it - most won't even ask for it, but you'll find if you ever play hotels or golf clubs etc, that they will want to see a copy of your cert.

I've got mine through [This url is not permitted to be promoted on this forum] (Alliance of Mobile & Party DJs), and I think it was around £49 for the year, with a decent level of cover. There may be a few more companies around, but this is who I use.

Hope that helps!

Baz

Thanks for your reply Baz :Thumbup: ....as well as for the above reasons I wanted it for piece of mind. Thats not a bad price though for piece of mind. Thanks again, Sue.

Sue I know its not all about getting the cheapest but PLI can be got for £29.99.Just shop around.

Also if you are going to do parties outside of your own home it would be advisable to get all your electrical appliances PAT tested.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Sue,a word of warning.

There is currently a dispute with one of the suppliers of PLI that I would advise you to avoid.Information on this can be obtained by reading DJ forums.

I can recommend the PLI issued by MDJN,[This url is not permitted to be promoted on this forum] or NADJ

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Hi Sue,

Have a search for mobile dj network. (mods please note I am not promoting a URL, I am merely telling the OP who I use for PLI myself)

The company is genuine and the policy is underwritten by Hencilla Canworth who provide the majority of PLI policies for DJ's.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Here's a link to one of the £29.00 providers

http://www.hmrc.co.uk/index.php...-insurance.html

(I have no affiliation with or preference to the entity on the link)

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum.

I can not help with your insurance question (I am now working in the USA). However I think you should be commended for thinking about this in the right way. Many new/hobby DJ's never get round to asking about insurance.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

• 3 months later...

Thankyou to All those who took the time to reply to my thread :Thumbup: :djuhi:

I have just been asked if I would consider doing the school disco at Xmas time which is great but the school would like to charge a small admission fee to raise some funds. I have PLI but am I right in thinking I will need to purchase a music licnece if the venue is charging admission ?? I personally am not charging for this, just doing it for fun if that makes a difference. If so can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Many Thanks, Sue :dukesy:

Thankyou to All those who took the time to reply to my thread :Thumbup: :djuhi:

I have just been asked if I would consider doing the school disco at Xmas time which is great but the school would like to charge a small admission fee to raise some funds. I have PLI but am I right in thinking I will need to purchase a music licnece if the venue is charging admission ?? I personally am not charging for this, just doing it for fun if that makes a difference. If so can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Many Thanks, Sue :dukesy:

Hey buddy, have you checked that the school does not already have one? Would possibly talk them into getting it. I personally would put that down as the venues responsability. Education establishments are a strange one. they charging the kids to go to their own disco??

I have just been asked if I would consider doing the school disco at Xmas time which is great but the school would like to charge a small admission fee to raise some funds

Is it open to all Children? - i.e members of the public or just the children who attend the school?. If it is a pupils only event then I seriously doubt that you'd need a music license for this, as it would be considered a members only function regardless of the admission requirement.

One-Off event music licenses tend only to be required for outside events, and those which

(1) charge an admission fee and

(2) are open to anybody.

So, if the School are intending to hold a 'open to the public' general under 16's disco which includes non pupils, then it would probably be an entirely different matter, but for pupils of the school, no you won't.

I personally would put that down as the venues responsability

Its not a 'venue' its a school. This may be a small and very petty technicality, but the small technicalities are the ones which score the most points in law :D and unless the School hires out its hall or facilities for private functions then it would be unlikely to require or already have a blanket music license.

Churches are also examples of other entities which don't need any licenses, yet on Sunday mornings, they tend to make more noise than any of us!! :D

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Once again I agree entirely with McCardle.

You should only need a PRS license if the event is open to the public (which I seriously doubt?)

If for some strange reason it actually is open to the public, then as you are supplying your services gratis, the least the school can do (and I would insist they do) is purchase the license.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Is it open to all Children? - i.e members of the public or just the children who attend the school?. If it is a pupils only event then I seriously doubt that you'd need a music license for this, as it would be considered a members only function regardless of the admission requirement.

One-Off event music licenses tend only to be required for outside events, and those which

(1) charge an admission fee and

(2) are open to anybody.

So, if the School are intending to hold a 'open to the public' general under 16's disco which includes non pupils, then it would probably be an entirely different matter, but for pupils of the school, no you won't.

Its not a 'venue' its a school. This may be a small and very petty technicality, but the small technicalities are the ones which score the most points in law :D and unless the School hires out its hall or facilities for private functions then it would be unlikely to require or already have a blanket music license.

Churches are also examples of other entities which don't need any licenses, yet on Sunday mornings, they tend to make more noise than any of us!! :D

Very valid point!