Dj's United

difference in jogging and scratching

Guest Jared Clay

Guest Jared Clay

i am considering purchasing a cd package mixing system as a first time toy. But i have noticed that the one i am looking at (a numark fusion 222) has a jog wheel but it does not specify if it has scratching capability. and the higher level one has the same jog wheel but says that it does have real time scratching. I guess the question that i am asking is how limited will i be with a system with just a jog wheel or is there a big difference. I dont really understand the difference in jogging and scratching i guess. If anyone has any idea what i am talking about and has any advice to offer i would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Jared,

The main difference between "Jogging" and a "Scratch Wheel" are as follows:-

Jog Wheels are fitted to most Mid range CD Players, and is basically an easy (and more precise) way to scan forwards and backwards through a track instead of using the scan forwards / reverse keys. Some CD Players also have an inner wheel on the jog wheel which allows a frame by frame (1/75 sec) forward and backward search to find an exact cue point. Some VCR's are also fitted with "Jog Wheels" to allow a frame advance search http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

"Scratch Wheels" are reserved for the more expensive Cd Players which are usually aimed at Mixing or club D.J's in professional applications. scratch wheels allow you to "virtually" scratch the track in a similar way to moving a technics or similar turntable backwards and forwards with the styli still in contact with the vinyl. Basically as close to scratching without Vinyl as you can get.

Some C.D players really carry this off well, and the average punter can't tell the difference between the D.J scratching with Vinyl or Cd!!!. However it does take a lot of practice. If you presently scratch using Vinyl and a turntable then you'll probably be suited to getting used to a scratch wheel, however if you don't know what scratching is, or have no interest in learning the art then you may find that this is a feature that you'll never use and you could save some cash by downgrading to a player without the feature.

Another good example of a Dual Cd player which has an excellent Scratch feature is the Tascam CD-302