Dj's United

I just don't see iPods as a threat to my service. Anyone who is considering hiring me has far higher expectations for the success of their wedding. I offer a comprehensive service, not a product solution.

I just don't see iPods as a threat to my service. Anyone who is considering hiring me has far higher expectations for the success of their wedding. I offer a comprehensive service, not a product solution.

Two significant remarks from a couple I visited yesterday evening.

"We don't mind paying more if we get what we want".

"Our friends had an iPod at their reception. No-one danced".

Just a quick Admin note - I've amended the post by djweeble to incorporate the YouTube video directly in the post.

Anyone wishing to add a YouTube video to their post can do so by following the procedure here

How I would do an Ipod wedding if I was the bride and Groom.

First I would probably have a set of Playlist.

Please remember, I'm a bride and groom planning this 18 months in advance.

I would have my Ipod on a remote control so I can adjust volume, move on a track etc etc...

If I didn't use a IPOD I would use my laptop and Itunes and have even more control. Itunes would automatic mix the tracks.

Background 1, 2, 3. All suitable non offensive stuff to play when we are eating.

Then a Playlist with

First Dance, followed by a couple more slow ones ( favorites of the parents).. Then on track 3, I would play some classic 80's dance number, followed by a few more.

Then I would have a selection of playlists, some moving the tempo up and some moving it down. Each playlist would be in 30 min segments and all I have to do is get some muppet to cahnge the playlist order to suit the mood.

-----

Totally agree a DJ would do a better job, but with a bit of planning and making sure the certain groups get the tracks they want and almost blackmailing them before my wedding that if I put it on the playlist that they will dance. I am sure the night would not be a disaster...

-----

I would hire a PA rig from a proper PA company. nothing complex, maybe 4 powered 15" speakers.

Lighting would be borrowed from my friends.... almost everyone has been a DJ in there life and has some spare kit for the lighting... Even if it is only a few Opti projectors.... it would give some colour

--------------

Ouch..... thank god people are lazy....... with the right planning it could work... but it relys on everything going to plan...

So .......

In a perfect world an IPod wedding could be bloody good.....

However life is not perfect..... and when the :fan: you need an entertainer and somebody to clean up the problem..... ( ps thanks for the edit... much better)

Edited by HalfPint
  • 1 month later...

The American Disc Jockey Association (ADJA) from the US, just posted an article and a video (which used excerpts from the youtube video above) on their website taking on the ipod wedding trend.

Check it out at http://www.adja.org/general/ipodwedding.asp

The video is worth a thousand words, in my book! Especially with the extra production.

They are encouraging every DJ to link to this page, so that it may help its rankings on the web. That way more people may be exposed to this information before making the choice between an ipod and a Professional DJ entertainer.

Musically Yours,

Steven M. Fernino - Oxford, Connecticut, USA

DJ Idea Sharing Co-founder / Podcast Network Producer

Music In Motion Entertainment - DJ / Technical Coordinator

Denon DJ - Certified Denon DJ / Clinician

Podcast RSS Feed

This all sounds great..........but.......

what about the bit rates on this 'music'??

Smack 128kps (?) digital sound through a 2kw sound saystem, and most of them will sound like c:cense:p!!!!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!