Dj's United

Too Much Communication?

My booking process (at its most basic) is this:

Take original telephone call or sometimes email (could be several emails of course) and book the function. Send off details in post and Client sends back terms, deposit and requests (if any).

I call them a week before just to check details, confirm etc.

That is two telephone calls.

Do I call them to say the deposit has been received and (if a cheque) paid in, ie/ add another call?

Edited by otronics

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

Exactly the same as me.

At the first point of contact I go through times, requests, etc then confirm it in writing. Don't ask for a deposit.

Ring one week beforehand to confirm.

Job done lol

I always let them know that I have received the deposit as the first clause in the written contract that they have to sign and return, is that the contract does not take effect until deposit is received. It also acts as a receipt for their money.

so it goes like this

1. take booking

2. send out 2 copies of contract with T&C ( signed by me)

3. customer returns 1 (signed by them) contract with deposit. To make it easy for them i include SAE

3. they then get sent confirmation of receipt of deposit

4 phone customer week or so before finalising details

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

I have a lot of contact with my clients and keep in touch with them at every stage (usually via email at 3.00am - don't think most would appreciate a phone call at that hour :joe: ).

Later tonight I will contact all of July's brides - let them know what info I already have, what I require and arrange a final meeting with them (if necessary). Then a few days before each event I phone them to check there are no last minute changes etc

1. Booking taken

2. Booking form sent out

3. Booking form with all details i require on it returned (i hope)

4. Send conformation card that deposit has been received & suggest customer contacts me regarding any changes

4. Week before event contact customer

Initial contact.

Booking form/T&C sent.

Copy returned.

E-mail/ phone call to say I've recieved the signed form.

One call a week or so before the event for the client's peace of mind, and to check details.

Not a lot of calls or stamps really, considering the value of the service you are selling.

I think the days of booking a disco over the phone 6 months before the event, and then next seeing the DJ on the night (hopefully) are long gone - with me, anyhow. I have recently gained a booking on account of another DJ not offering any kind of confirmation or paperwork, which worried the client enough for her to cancel, and book me instead. Strange but true...

Same up to returned contract/deposit. I acknowledge that with a reciept which states deposit recieved and balance owing.

Then contact them a week or so before to check any changes made (gives me time to get the new 1st dance track sorted whistling.gif ), confirm access time etc.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

I liase with the client by whatever means they choose to communicate by in the first instance. Bookings are then confirmed to them in writing with a copy of my terms and conditions. They sign and return this to me, along with the deposit in a reply paid envelope which is supplied with the paperwork. I reserve the right to charge a penalty of £12 (a figure which has been agreed in other industries and by the courts to be a fair and just admin charge in business) if the client neglects to return the paperwork within 10 days from the date of receipt, I levy this charge, along with a further reminder, and if I still haven't heard anything after 21 days, the date in question becomes available again, and I contact the client to inform them.

My paperwork also includes a pre printed request list, so they can just fill in the blanks of any tracks they want to hear, including at weddings, the important first / second and last dance requirements.

Once the paperwork is received they are offered the opportunity to meet (usually at the venue) and discuss further details. Only about 20% of clients in this area seem to opt for this even when it is offered.

I only really get in touch again, when its closer to the actual function - about 4 - 6 weeks away. Usually this is to hasten the return of the request list, and just re-assure them that i'm still around and haven't forgotten them. In the meantime, if they should require any further assistance or another meeting, then I am more than happy to arrange it, however I find nearly all clients have no desire to, and so if I introduced it routinely then it would essentially just be increasing my overheads, and reducing my time for little or no actual gain.

I find that it is a fine balance between maintaining a professional contact level, and smothering them!. I also think that if you constantly bombard clients with questions and calls, that it may make them worry needlessly about the booking and they may even misconstrue your interest with lack of confidence!. I realise that they have about 25 other suppliers to liase with and perhaps meet with too, not to mention various other friends and family all 'interfering' and fighting for their time, plus a few hundred RSVP's / invitations to send out!. I'm sure they don't want a deejay checking up on them every few weeks and monopolising on their precious time. IMO, at least, I wouldn't, in fact I would find that quite annoying. I prefer the no hassle approach, just enough contact to re-assure and discuss in depth the information that we both require, but not enough to make them feel that I'm putting myself over and above their other arrangements.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'